Lake Shore Limited + Regional

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakCrescent20

Service Attendant
I need to go from CHI-PHL, and was originally planning to take the Capitol Limited. However, roomettes on that train are already sold out both CHI-PGH and CHI-WAS, making the LSL the only option. Amtrak's website doesn't list connecting from the LSL to one of the later evening Regionals as one of the CHI-PHL options--will an agent be able to book this if I call 1-800-USA-RAIL? Or does Amtrak not allow any guaranteed connections from the LSL to a Regional? BTW, the last Regional AFAIK leaves NYP at 11:05, so unless something very unusual happens, that connection shouldn't be a problem.

I guess that Amtrak just doesn't consider the LSL to NYP, and then connecting to PHL to be a valid connection. Oddly enough you can connect from both the Maple Leaf and the Adirondack, but I guess they figured why go to NY from Chicago first, when you can go via the Capitol.

I would guess that it is not a guaranteed connection, although an agent may tell you differently. And by the way, even if you miss that 11:05, there is still the 3:00 AM train to Philly.

You CAN book it online if you book it as a multi-city trip. Just select the first leg CHI-NYP and the second leg CHI-PHL circa 7 pm the following day. Then you have all the options available to get CHI-NYP including the LSL. I can't say for sure if Amtrak guarantees such a connection but I've never seen any language on the website suggesting they don't. I guess I'd call to make sure if it's important.

I tried to do a test booking and it works, but you give up a little in price; but if you're getting a sleeper it's probably a drop in the bucket. I am going to use a similar strategy to go CHI-NYP next spring I think with a several hours stop-over in WAS, and for that it will still give you the cheapest CHI-NYP fare so long as you get out of WAS sometime the same day you get in.

Curiously, in recent memory the timetables for the LSL have never shown connections between the LSL and points south on the NEC through New York City. This may be an overlooked condition that should have been rectified years ago when service switched from Grand Central to Penn Station. Instead of Penn Station connections, they show you how you can get to Hudson, Rhinecliff, & Poughkeepsie by switching at Albany (though currently 48 does serve as the local train in its timeslot).

However if you look at Trains 48 and 49 in the Empire Service timetables, 48 shows a connection to Regional 175 on weekdays and 165 on weekends. Train 49 shows a connection from Regional 88 on weekends and 184 on weekdays. Since that is in print I would think that Amtrak is obligated to honor those connections. With 48 prone to coming into NYP late, there are still quite a few connecting trains south, particularly to Philly.

Last edited by a moderator:
What happens if you try to book a one way trip from UCA to PHL? Will it offer the 48 to 175/165 connection?

If so, the connection should be guaranteed. ARROW can be a bit funny about itineraries at times.

EDIT ---

Checked the mentioned itinerary - 48 connects to 177 during the week (1005pm) and 167 on Weekends (905pm)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back