Lake Shore Limited running a Superliner? Surely not...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zevzec

Train Attendant
Is the LSL really running as a Superliner in August? I just booked travel from CHI to NYP on the LSL in August in bedrooms A & B. The person on the phone was quite firmly convinced that these were Superliner bedrooms. I questioned her repeatedly about it, but she was absolutely firm about it. I still don't believe it. Am I wrong?

The car number is 4812, if that matters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bedrooms A & B are the only bedrooms in a Viewliner car so, no, LSL is not a Superliner. Maybe you did not ask the right question. Superliners are too tall for many of the East Coast underpasses and definitely too big for Penn Station.

Yeah, poor agent.

Superliners would have a little bit of trouble making it to NYP.

Edit: And you'd play hell trying to get off at a high platform:

incompatible_platform.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you did not ask the right question. Superliners are too tall for many of the East Coast underpasses and definitely too big for Penn Station.
As Ryan says "poor agent." Because I'm underwhelmed with Amtrak these days, I'll add "another" to the beginning of that.

Thanks. This was my impression, that the Superliners could not fit into NYP. I asked her repeatedly, "Isn't this a Viewliner?" but she insisted that it was a Superliner, so I quickly just dropped the subject, since convincing her wasn't important.

Try booking a sleeper on Lake Shore or Crescent using multi-city ticketing. Under "Buy Rooms" you will be offers a Viewliner Roomette or a Superliner Bedroom. Glitch on Amtrak's website.

I suspect the reason for this issue is that Bedrooms are considered the same accommodation "D", while Superliner Roomettes "E" and Viewliner Roomettes "V" are different.

Superliners equipment has been used on the Lake Shore Limited. The LSL may use spare superliner equipment to make up a train. The equipment will turn at Albany back to Chicago, with connect train or bus at Albany for the pax going east or south. This has happen twice, with the sixth trainset on the Empire Builder, not going to happen again.

The guest poster had cover the issue as a glitch in the system, when booking a multi-city trip.

At least the agent is able read the information displayed on the screen.

As was said, the high platforms make it impossible to do, but are there any tunnels between ALB and BOS that wouldn't fit a superliner? What about fitting under the catenary as it gets closer to BOS?

I can dream, I guess... :p

The State Line tunnel between Chatham, NY and Pittsfield, MA definitely would scalp a Superliner if attached to the LSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back