Large families on train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - this is my first post. I have been learning a lot from this site and living vicariously through all of the trip reports etc! Wonderful! My question is this...When I do a reservation on the Amtrak website it lets me fit all of my family (myself, DH, and five kids) into a family bedroom. Granted, two of the children are under 2. I realize that they travel free - but would they really let us all stay in the family bedroom? Are we going to be denied boarding at the station when they count heads?

Another thing that I was wondering - I apologize if this sounds really dumb! - when you're sleeping on the train, are you woken up by the whistle in the middle of the night?

Thanks!!

This is my own opinion but if you are getting two rooms where the wall moves apart and makes one room, that would work, but 7 people (if I read this correctly) in ONE bedroom would be insane. I would be going nuts in about 1 mile. About the train whistle, yes sometimes I have heard it but I hear the crossarm signals more than the train whistle. When I was coming back to Nebraska in coach, I really could hear the train whistle because there are so many crossings and with new federal guidelines, the engineers were really laying on the horn due to the new regulations. I'm a big believer in Tylenol PM when I board the train.

Wow . . . seven people in a Family Bedroom? That's a lot! I suspect you'd not be allowed to put that many people in there. Also, I think you're entitled to only four meals, so someone would be going hungry, even if the babies didn't need to eat in the diner.

I've been in the Family Bedroom twice. We've had two kids (four people total) and it was just about right. I think we could've squeezed in one more, but that's about it. Try to buy a roomette on the same floor, maybe for the older two kids.

As far as the whistles, I don't remember being bothered by them at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if you would be denied from boarding, there is a slight chance, but I'm still not sure that I'd want to try that. During the day you'd be fine, and even if you followed the recomendation from Socalsteve about the roomette, you could fit everyone into the family room to keep the family together.

The trouble comes at night, as there simply won't be enough room in the 4 beds for everyone. Once the beds are down, there isn't enough room to leave the under 2's sleeping in a car seat. And I don't know how you'd fit one adult with 2 kids into the larger bottom bunk. And the other adult in the top bunk would be a squeeze with 1 kid.

I think it depends on if you have done some tent camping before or not... We fit my wife, myself, my 72 year old father, my 11 and 15 year olds in a family sleeper on the EB last August. The 11 year old is small for his age and the 15 year old is bigger than me.

It depends on your heights...the two side bunks are shorter in length. If your kids are all small, you could pull it off. The dining car let the 5 of us eat...no extra charges. You could put two small kids in a side lower bunk. One larger kid in the top side bunk. Dad could go up top (as I did on the larger bunk). Mom and the two under-twos could fit in the lower bunk somehow?

Good luck. Remember, its only night-time that you need the beds. By day you would have room to all sit...and if you were like us, you won't stay in your room...you'll be in the sightseer lounge and the diner...

If the system lets you book it, and you are seasoned campers, go for it. There is virtually NO room for suitcases, etc. in the room...but right outside your door is the luggage rack. We kept everything out there.

You are also right by the bathrooms and shower, a plus with a family. Have a great trip!~

You might get the family bedroom and a roomette on the lower level. A 2:5 or 3:4 ratio would certainly be much easier on everyone.

Your first night will probably be a relatively sleepless one. The whistle is not a huge problem in my opinion, but the swaying, track noise, and any lights from a station stop will bug you the first time.

If you do decide to all pile into one room, I doubt you will be denied boarding, although it is possible. If you get a crabby attendant or conductor, they may ask you to purchase a second room if they don't think one of the kids is really under two. They might be dubious about 5 2+ people in a room, but if you are allowed to book it you should be OK.

If you are nervous about it you might call 1-800-USA-RAIL. Don't talk to the computer, say "Agent"

Wow . . . seven people in a Family Bedroom? That's a lot! I suspect you'd not be allowed to put that many people in there. Also, I think you're entitled to only four meals, so someone would be going hungry, even if the babies didn't need to eat in the diner.
I've been in the Family Bedroom twice. We've had two kids (four people total) and it was just about right. I think we could've squeezed in one more, but that's about it. Try to buy a roomette on the same floor, maybe for the older two kids.

As far as the whistles, I don't remember being bothered by them at all.
correction: you get FIVE meals (and the way a lot of pre-elementary age kids eat, that may well be enough for everyone)

Don't worry about hearing the whistle, if you do.

That is a subtle part of the romance of the rail.

You would be missing something if you went the whole trip and did not hear a distinctive train-type noise of any kind.

Hi - this is my first post. I have been learning a lot from this site and living vicariously through all of the trip reports etc! Wonderful! My question is this...When I do a reservation on the Amtrak website it lets me fit all of my family (myself, DH, and five kids) into a family bedroom. Granted, two of the children are under 2. I realize that they travel free - but would they really let us all stay in the family bedroom? Are we going to be denied boarding at the station when they count heads?
Another thing that I was wondering - I apologize if this sounds really dumb! - when you're sleeping on the train, are you woken up by the whistle in the middle of the night?

Thanks!!
I honestly think you are making a mistake by trying to get everyone into a family bedroom. Granted you will be able to move about the train during the day, but nightime is going to be a nightmare - plus what are you going to do with all the gear you need for five children. Having traveled with children many many times, I would suggest looking into an additional roomette as has been already suggested for the older children - if for no other reason than to give your self some more breathing room. I don't think the train whistle will keep you awake, I think it will be your family.

I agree with the others. I'm not sure that I'd try to cram that many people into 1 bedroom. 2 bedrooms would be so much more comfortable, but it could be cost-prohibitive.

You might first want to take a "test run" on a train trip of about 2 to 3 hours. You should then have a good idea if this is indeed a good idea(I know...grammatically incorrect :D )

The train whistle and horn will be the least of your worries!!

From the Florida Funnel

Foodman53

Thank you for all of the replies. As far as the children driving me crazy, I've learned to handle the commotion that comes with them and they are pretty well behaved. I'm also not worried about the children keeping me awake. They are all sound sleepers. I was just curious about the "legality" of booking that many people in a family room together. I was also curious about the loudness of the whistles. We live relatively close to the train tracks and the whistles are rather loud. I assumed they would be even louder if I was on the train. Unfortunately taking a "test run" is not really possible. The nearest Amtrak station is 3.5 hours away and the train leaves there before 6am so we would have to do an overnight before the trip. I wish there were more routes to choose from. :(

Thanks

Smithtrain:

We have five kids but have never tried this, so I really can't give you advice, but I would say go for it. I am assuming that your kids are fairly close together. Ours now range from 25 to 33, so if you are similar, then your oldest should be under 10, so none will be very big. We did stuff everybody in a travel trailer with three bunks for a couple of months when their ages were 3 to 11 because I had a couple of months job away from home (it was summer) and that way we could be together. It worked, and all have good memories of it except one, but that one is completely another story.

George

As for the whistle, it is located on front of locomotive, aiming ahead to warn the drivers/pedistrains not to cross the tracks. It will be a lot quieter, but you will hear softly, when you're in one of the cars (train means a set of cars [steel, not rubber]).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back