Large People and Sleeper Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, the train offers larger passengers the best opportunity for comfort on a LD trip, but he Superliner steps can be a challenge for some. If it agrees with your budget, the H room on the lower level should offer plenty of space. My wife and myself are not large waist people but we have a different problem. She's 6' and I'm 5'11. The lower bedroom bed is just barely long enough for her. When we use to fly, the lack of knee room was very uncomfortable and the seats are now only about 19" wide and that's sports car seat size!!!. Now the airlines want larger people to pay for two seats. That's rather kind of them wouldn't you say?

Sarah is right about the diner, though. I was able to fit, barely, but had to hold the tablecloth to keep it from coming with me. Some booths are slightly larger than others, too, IIRC.
One suggestion that used to work well for me is that if I boarded before meal time, I would go into the diner and try some of the seats. I'd ask the attendant if one was there and tell them I just wanted to see if I fit. Never had a problem. I'd look for ones with a little extra room. They exist. Once I found ones that were larger, I'd nicely ask the LSA how I could increase my chances of getting one of them. Always did. Now, I lost a few pounds so I fit better so I don't worry about it even if they are a little tight.

ALWAYS grab the table at the edge to keep the tablecloth from moving when sliding especially when exiting.

ALWAYS grab the table at the edge to keep the tablecloth from moving when sliding especially when exiting.
I still do this when I'm in the window seat, even though I have room now. Sometimes my clothes catch on it.

When I travel with my boyfriend, he lets me sit on the aisle so I don't have to worry about it.

Wouldn't you be more comfortable in the handicap bedroom? When the beds are made up for the night, there realy isn't much move around room in either the roomette or the bedroom.

We are pretty much average size and travel in bedrooms on the Silvers 2-4 times a year. Because I'm claustrophic, I won't let them pull out the bottom bunk. I just ask for a sheet and blanket. Once that bottom bunk is open, there's only a few inches between the bed and the sink. And that's where they put your pillow. And because I travel with my husband, the ladder is at the other end.

Our trip last July, we were upgraded to the handicap bedoom and I felt so much more comfortable. We purchased our bedroom using guest reward points, and we got some points back because that room doesn't cost as much as a regular bedroom. Plus, if you want your meals in room, there is plenty of space. And the bathroom is larger also.

Good luck with your weight loss. And either way you travel....enjoy!

Because I'm claustrophic, I won't let them pull out the bottom bunk. I just ask for a sheet and blanket. Once that bottom bunk is open, there's only a few inches between the bed and the sink. And that's where they put your pillow. And because I travel with my husband, the ladder is at the other end. [/b]
You can ask them to drop your bedding down in the other direction, although that would then mean that your pillow would essentially be behind the ladder now. But that bed can be made up in either direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back