Last minute question about luggage safety...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

Train Attendant
Hey everyone. I'm taking my first long-distance trip today (NYP to SAN), but I'm in coach on the LSL and then a roomette on the SWC.

Originally, I was going to have two carry-ons (a messenger bag for electronics and a bookbag for toiletries and changes of clothes just for the train and extra food) and check-in my main luggage, but now I'm thinking that's cumbersome.

My new idea is that since I'm in coach on the LSL anyway, I should just bring the messenger bag (no bookbag anymore) and I should check my main luggage from NYP to CHI. Then just have it as a carry-on the rest of my trip and leave it in my roomette. This way I have access to more things, have one less bag to carry and I can also shove one of my down pillows in there which would be more comfortable and wouldn't fit in the bookbag anyway.

Is this safe? Can I leave a large carry-on in my roomette the whole time without it getting stolen? What do you guys recommend?

Hey everyone. I'm taking my first long-distance trip today (NYP to SAN), but I'm in coach on the LSL and then a roomette on the SWC.

Originally, I was going to have two carry-ons (a messenger bag for electronics and a bookbag for toiletries and changes of clothes just for the train and extra food) and check-in my main luggage, but now I'm thinking that's cumbersome.

My new idea is that since I'm in coach on the LSL anyway, I should just bring the messenger bag (no bookbag anymore) and I should check my main luggage from NYP to CHI. Then just have it as a carry-on the rest of my trip and leave it in my roomette. This way I have access to more things, have one less bag to carry and I can also shove one of my down pillows in there which would be more comfortable and wouldn't fit in the bookbag anyway.

Is this safe? Can I leave a large carry-on in my roomette the whole time without it getting stolen? What do you guys recommend?
JUST an IDEA for the PILLOW... I have done it before on our motorcycle trips... GET a travel space bag and pack it in there... THOSE you ROLL up and mash the air out of ... WORKS wonders and I carry my FEATHER pillow EVERYWHERE I GO :wub:

Yes, it is safe. There are few people in the sleepers and I have never worried about leaving my computer or whatever lying around in the room.

If you don't want to lug the main luggage around, I believe you could check it all the way through. On the other hand, on the SWC, you can leave luggage downstairs in the luggage rack and, if needed in an emergency (you spill something on your clothes), you have access to it.

I just finished a Chi to LA trip on the SWC. I kept my large suitcase in the downstairs luggage rack, as I have many times, and had no problems at all. Also, unlike the current airline procedure, you can keep a lock on your suitcase if that gives you a little bit more security.

I just finished a Chi to LA trip on the SWC. I kept my large suitcase in the downstairs luggage rack, as I have many times, and had no problems at all. Also, unlike the current airline procedure, you can keep a lock on your suitcase if that gives you a little bit more security.
Contrary to your thoughts, you CAN lock your luggage when traveling by plane. It just needs to be a TSA approved lock. Use a regular lock, and if the luggage has to be opened and inspected, the lock is cut off. Been there, done that.

Contrary to your thoughts, you CAN lock your luggage when traveling by plane. It just needs to be a TSA approved lock. Use a regular lock, and if the luggage has to be opened and inspected, the lock is cut off. Been there, done that.
Should I use TSA locks on my checked luggage enroute AMTRAK to SAN ?

Thanks

Should I use TSA locks on my checked luggage enroute AMTRAK to SAN ?

Thanks
Only if you want to and already own them. Otherwise use whatever locks you have. Amtrak doesn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back