Late Connections

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GG-1

Engineer
Honored Member
Aloha

In September I am riding 14,6.59. There ar approximatly 5 hour connections. When should I worry about lateness? I noticed yesturdays connection from 6 to 59 was missed. As long as I get to New Orleans on Saturday I am ok. The bus is not acceptable.

Mahalo

Eric

Aloha

Just spent 10 minutes with an Amtrak agent to find out what was done with passenger that were making the same connection I will be making between 6 & 59 in September. The agent repeatedly told me they made the connection yesterday, contrary to the times shown on Amtrak's site. She repeated the time of arrival of 6 as 10:29, :( she repeated the departure of #59 as 8:28.

Several times I requested how they accommodated the connecting passengers, The agents answer was they connected. I kept saying how? Once she said if it hadn’t made it I would be on the next train. This can't work as I have a paid room on Saturday in New Orleans, and be in a meeting at 3:00pm Sunday

Is there something I can do to protect myself if it misses the 3.5 hour window?

Mahalo

Eric

Well, if I absolutely had to get to point B by a particular time, I would want to have checked out alternate airline or bus connections beforehand, including the availability of a short hop flight or bus connection from an intermediate stop on the first train to an intermediate stop on the second train, if any existed, or maybe a commuter plane hop from the first train's destination to an intermediate stop of the second train, and then make the decisions enroute, based on how late train #1 was and Amtrak's estimate of whether train #2 was going to depart on time. If there's a meeting you have got to make, you NEED a backup plan, is what I would say. Even if Amtrak said they would guarantee the connection, I'd be keeping track by cellphone and be prepared to launch the backup plan, with the paperwork, telephone numbers, and printouts for all of that in my carry-on and kept with me at all times. Do all the research ahead of time so you know exactly what's available, where it is, and what it would cost. If nothing else it will give you peace of mind while traveling.

Bottom line, though, I would probably have given myself a one-day pad, to arrive in the meeting city a full day ahead of time. If the trains make connex and get you to NOL on time, you get an extra tourist day in NOL, which would be nice. If not and you're a day late into NOL, you still make the meeting. Much as I love riding them, long distance trains are not conducive to travel for meetings on a deadline, unless you can give yourself a sufficient schedule pad for peace of mind or you have alternative transportation lined up just in case.

And take anything you get about a train's actual progress from the amtrak web site or scheduling people with a large tub of salt. I've been looking for several weeks at what the amtrak web site has been saying about train progress and status and I fully expect to see, one of these days, a notation there about a white rabbit with a pocketwatch and spectacles that just disappeared down into a hole in the ground. Sometimes, according to the web site, the trains are forecast to arrive at the next destination station before they are departed from the previous station, or they appear at a station down the line aways, then disappear again, probably into that same hole in the ground. If it wasn't such a pain in the neck to the pax trying to figure out what is happening to their train, it would make a good comedy act.

Eric,

Normally if #6 is that late, such that it will miss the connection to 59, what will happen is you'll be taken off the train in Galesburg, Il. Normal arrival time at Galesburg is 12:06 PM. From there you would be bussed to Champaign-Urbana to catch train #59. Since 59 leaves Champaign at 10:34 and the bus ride is only 3 hours, #6 can be running 7 hours late and you would still make the connection.

If #6 is later than 7 hours, then you would be at Amtrak's mercy to decide if they fly you to NOL or put you up in Chicago for the night, so as to catch the next days CONOL.

Aloha

Mahalo Alan this the most reashuring information I have received. I thought I had built plenty of time but lately I have gotten nervious.

Do you know at what point the decisions are made? And what order do the use?

Like one holding second train, two bussing, three overnight?

Again Mahalo

Eric

Eric,

Well the order would be exactly as you listed. As for when, it really comes down to just how late #6 is as to when & what choice is picked.

If 6 is within 15 to 20 minutes later than the departure of 59, then 59 would probably be held for the connection. However, Amtrak typically does not like to hold a train for more than 30 minutes for connecting passengers. Also note the padding into Chicago, where outbound it only takes about 30 minutes from Chicago to Naperville, while inbound the schedule allows almost 1 hour & a half.

The next alternative, a bus ride from Galesburg would apply to any train that would appear to be arriving later than the 5 hour window in Chicago. So if you are more than 5 hours late at Mt. Pleasent & Burlington, I would expect that the bus alternative will become a reality. Please note that depending on the number of connecting passenger the bus could turn out to be a van.

If your arrival at Galesburg is going to be later than 7:00 PM, as opposed to a scheduled arrival of 12:06 PM, then expect to either get a hotel at Amtrak's expense in Chicago or perhaps be offered a plane ticket.

On my trip last month on the 6 and 59 the CZ was running 5 hours late and I was sure I would miss the connection by 1/2 hour. They made up the hour with the padding at the end and arrived at 7:30. The CONO was late anyway and did not leave until 9:00.

Aloha

Mahalo guys. As long as Amtrak gets me to NOL by Midnight Saturday it will be a good thing. Due about 3:00pm that up to 9 hours late.

I considered the reverse run but the Zepher was sold out as of last Jan when I Started the reservation process. This trip the Zepher is the primary train. I hope to travel on all of the name trains some day. My Miletrak page shows all but two the Broadway Limited and Desert Wind, both discontinued routes taken after a convention.

Let's hope my luck so far that none of my trains were over 3 hours late as all of these connections are over 4 hours.

Mahalo Again

Eric

Good Luck, I just returned yesterday on the Calif Zephur into Chicago and it was 6 hours late so not food for us after 1pm then the most rudest people from Amtrak got on in Galesburg Ill and said we would be bused from Chicago as we missed our connection. No food until we got home at 4 Am and a bus driver who had no sleep and was speeding terribly. The other minor details were when we left San Francisco to go to Chicago we had a fire in the electrical connections and so someone had a hack saw and duct tape and used them. We had a hard time getting a lightbulb in our bathroom replaced as you see Amtrak has no tools on board. The cunductor would barely speek to any of us as if he was not interested in our problems. Amtrak sends these trains out with very little cleaning and proper repairs not done. We lucked out and the train did not catch on fire again in the middle of the dessert. I will defenatly think twice before riding Amtrak again. Pat

pbhames said:
Good Luck, I [snip] I will defenatly think twice before riding Amtrak again.   Pat
Aloha

Sorry you had a bad trip. In the 12 trips I had had over the years none = that. If you follow the comments on the Sunset Limited being 48 hours late, My trip was only 2 hours.

Mahalo for your comments.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back