Late Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Galesburg

Home to Carl Sandburg

Birthplace of my daughter

and the bus runs along I-74,,, maybe three hours to Indy,,,,

and you get to wave at Peoria, Bloomington and Champagne

along the way,,,
and part of my heritage as well. Near Champaign I-74 passes through what used to be my grandparents' farmland. I can still hear my grandmother complaining about how little they were paid for the land.

My younger son and I are supposed to be on the CZ, arriving in Chicago to catch the Capitol Limited.

At what station while we are on the CZ should I check to see if we will make our 6:40pm departure on the CL?

My younger son and I are supposed to be on the CZ, arriving in Chicago to catch the Capitol Limited.

At what station while we are on the CZ should I check to see if we will make our 6:40pm departure on the CL?
As long as the CZ gets into Chicago before that, you should be fine. I'm not sure how much the CL is held these days, but if you're only going to be a little late past the CL's scheduled departure, I don't see why it wouldn't be held. If the CZ ends up being extremely late, they'd probably either put you on the LSL, or put you up for a night.

Regardless of how late the CZ is, your connection is guaranteed. Amtrak will take care of you if it is missed. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Since you know how to track the LD Trains you should have a good idea by Omaha as to the Lateness of the Zephyr and as you cross Iowa it'll become clearer! By the stop in Galesburg you should know for sure, and your SCA and Conductors ( if good ones) will also have info they should share!
If you're really late they'll make announcements about connections and Customer Service when you arrive into CHI, they are very experienced with this @ Union Station!

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, do I feel dumb. After sidetracking the topic from a late CZ to a late Cap Ltd yesterday, it was all for nothing. It just dawned on me that our CHI connection is not a guaranteed one. :blush: CHI ends the first AGR award and begins the second, so to Amtrak it's not a connection at all. Very glad for the scheduled 9-hour layover in CHI, because if we should miss the Cardinal for some reason, we'd be on our own. :unsure:

Duh. (sorry)

Thanks for your help. I called Amtrak guest relations and got an Amtrak voucher! Yippee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back