LAUS Food Grab

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sechs

Engineer
I need to determine how best to handle lunch on my upcoming trip.

I will be coming in on the Sunset, which is scheduled at 9:40am (but often comes in early these days) and am catching the Bakersfield bus, about an hour later. I could wait until I get aboard the San Joaquins and catch something in the cafe, but the train won't be under way until nearly 1:30pm, which will be a bit late for lunch.

Are there places to which I can easily get from Los Angeles Union Station where I can grab something to go, suitable for eating either on the bus or in Bakersfield (depending on how we're running)?

Union Bagel - right in the LAUS main hall - seems to be pretty hit and miss with AU folks. Some like it, some don't, and I think virtually all agree it's pretty slow. At our L.A. Gathering last October, our illustrious Admin AlanB dumped out an entire large cup of Union Bagel coffee, saying it was the worst ever. No direct experience myself.

Fine French dip sandwiches and other fare can be ordered to go at Phillipe's French dip sandwich joint, a couple blocks from LAUS. Shouldn't be too busy around your arrival time, sechs.

Out the back (bus) side of LAUS, across a street/freeway entrance there's a Denny's, and they do takeout as well.

Lastly, in the mornings there's often a taco truck parked up by the platforms, beyond track 12. Some people swear by these things, and certain ones even have fan websites, but again I can't claim direct knowledge.

EDIT: I usually forget this one cuz I never go there, but there's a Subway sandwich shop in the same block as the Metro Plaza hotel - across from Olvera Street and on the left on the way to Philippe's.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could walk across the street to Olvera street. I was there around the same time and got some pineapple at a stand there. One kid got a hot dog at a place near the southern end of the street. There's Mexican food too but I don't know when those places open up.

Other suggestions are good too. This walk would be a bit shorter than going to Philippes but really neither one is far at all.

Chinatown is about a 2-3 block walk (short blocks) and may have some food if you get in early and can make that walk.

Dano

Union Bagel - right in the LAUS main hall - seems to be pretty hit and miss with AU folks. Some like it, some don't, and I think virtually all agree it's pretty slow.
Have they ever been "hit?" I don't even consider them an eatery....

I forgot to mention that this will be a Sunday. Some of the places mentioned may not be open at that time in the morning, but, I now have a couple places to check into.

Thanks

Union Bagel - right in the LAUS main hall - seems to be pretty hit and miss with AU folks. Some like it, some don't, and I think virtually all agree it's pretty slow

I forgot to mention that this will be a Sunday. Some of the places mentioned may not be open at that time in the morning, but, I now have a couple places to check into.

Thanks
Philippe's opens at 6:30 a.m., 7 days a week, and the French dip sandwiches are available at all times.

Philippe's opens at 6:30 a.m., 7 days a week, and the French dip sandwiches are available at all times.
...and I strongly second, third, fourth and fifth the recommendations made on this board in this and other threads to head over there, especially if you've never been before.

Union Bagel - right in the LAUS main hall - seems to be pretty hit and miss with AU folks. Some like it, some don't, and I think virtually all agree it's pretty slow

Thanks
My son Mike mentioned Philippe's to me yesterday. He said that he has been wanting to get there for some time now and plans on getting to LAUS early before picking us up later this month, so he can have breakfast there before we arrive on the SWC. He also provided me with the link to Philippe's website. It's http://www.philippes.com/

According to Google Philippe's is just .3 of a mile or a 5 minute walk from the station.... SEE MAP

...and I strongly second, third, fourth and fifth the recommendations made on this board in this and other threads to head over there, especially if you've never been before.
A little look at the website provided by sky12065 shows I was wrong (A FIRST!) about the opening time: it's 6 a.m. Also, the beef and ham French dip sandwiches are available starting then; the pork, lamb, and turkey after 9 a.m. and "served all day until we run out."

I also have to recommend Phillipe's. I've been eating there for more than 50 years and it is one of my all-time favorites. I ate there last Friday and it was as great as ever.

Walk straight out the front of Union Station to Alamdea, turn right and continue about 3 or 4 blocks to Ord. It will be across Alameda. If you have a bit of extra time, go to the back room (on the way to the restrooms) and check out the small exhibit of train memorabilia.

The problems that I see with the french dip option are:

1. I don't really want to ride a bus with a cup of au jus, let alone try to eat with one.

2. I'm not sure how great the sandwich and dip will be after an hour or two trip.

The problems that I see with the french dip option are:1. I don't really want to ride a bus with a cup of au jus, let alone try to eat with one.

2. I'm not sure how great the sandwich and dip will be after an hour or two trip.
There is no little cup of au jus to tote around. The bread is dipped in it as the sandwiches are prepared. If requested, the bread will be double- or even triple-dipped. Sounds kinda soggy to me, but people do ask.

I always devour mine on the spot, but have it on good authority that the sandwiches hold up pretty well over the short term - several hours, say - and a couple friends sometimes order two to consume immediately and two to go, right before heading home from L.A. They refrigerate the latter to be savored the next day. These guys also have jars of the excellent - HOT - Philippe's mustard at home, the better to complete their enjoyment.

There is other place which also claimed to be the world's first french dipped sandwich (besides Phillipe's). It's Cole's.

It is located in downtown LA. Whooz, Sportsbiker, and I went there last March which is our first time. We took a long walk to downtown area from LAUS Union Station, passing through Homeland Security building, federal court building which Whooz was raving about, and other interesting buildings.

The biggest different between Phillipe's and Cole's is they serve a cup of au jus, not dipped while being prepared. So, the sandwich is dry.

For those who want to compare Cole's to Phillipe's, I recommend to take at least 3 to 4 hours layover (depending on lunch rush hours and Saturdays) because the room is small. You can talk a walk to shapen up your muscles or you can take Red Line subway from LAUS to Pershing Square and walk few blocks downhill. Whooz or Sportsbiker will fill in the details.

Oh, try the delicious pickle!

also the MTA's Cafe is open to the public on weekday. the MTA building is located just behind the LAUS and the cafe is the second floor. You can watch train while you are eating! :D

Snuffy

also the MTA's Cafe is open to the public on weekday. the MTA building is located just behind the LAUS and the cafe is the second floor. You can watch train while you are eating! :D
Snuffy
The MTA cafeteria at Gateway Plaza does indeed have an outdoor dining area with a view of LAUS, but train viewing is pretty limited. Arrivals and departures - Amtrak, Metrolink, Gold Line light rail - can be seen beyond the platform ends, but in the station proper the view is blocked by the platform awnings. Beyond the entrance to the cafeteria are doors that lead outside to a wraparound walkway, which offers about the same LAUS views as from the outdoor tables, and from which there are also good views to the south and east of downtown. I took some shots from there during breaks and lunch at the 5-2-09 NARP/RailPAC meeting, which was held in the MTA boardroom at Gateway Plaza. A couple of 'em in this Picasa album demonstrate available views of LAUS: Whooz That On Beech Grove??

EDIT: Gateway Plaza itself is quite a palace, and costs connected with its construction were very controversial. Visitors might want to stroll around it after exiting the back (bus) side of LAUS to see a nifty little walkway and urban garden sorta thing, complete with fountain and seating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comes to something when soggy sandwiches are supposed to be some sort of culinary high spot.... :p

The problems that I see with the french dip option are:1. I don't really want to ride a bus with a cup of au jus, let alone try to eat with one.

You can always ask for it dry.

There is other place which also claimed to be the world's first french dipped sandwich (besides Phillipe's). It's Cole's.
It is located in downtown LA. Whooz, Sportsbiker, and I went there last March which is our first time. We took a long walk to downtown area from LAUS Union Station, passing through Homeland Security building, federal court building which Whooz was raving about, and other interesting buildings.

The biggest different between Phillipe's and Cole's is they serve a cup of au jus, not dipped while being prepared. So, the sandwich is dry.

For those who want to compare Cole's to Phillipe's, I recommend to take at least 3 to 4 hours layover (depending on lunch rush hours and Saturdays) because the room is small. You can talk a walk to shapen up your muscles or you can take Red Line subway from LAUS to Pershing Square and walk few blocks downhill. Whooz or Sportsbiker will fill in the details.

Oh, try the delicious pickle!
I suppose it all comes down to a matter of personal preference -- but having eaten at Phillipe's last week and at Cole's the week before, there is simply no comparison in quality. Phillipe's wins by a landslide.

Alright folks, Phillipe's is open bright and early on Sunday mornings.... will the *whole* menu be available during the "breakfast" time period?

Alright folks, Phillipe's is open bright and early on Sunday mornings.... will the *whole* menu be available during the "breakfast" time period?
As noted above in this thread, beef and ham French dip sandwiches are available at 6 a.m. opening, and the rest - pork, lamb, turkey - kick in at 9. Other items, such as sides, desserts, and pies, I don't know much about at the breakfast hour.

Coffee is a dime; 10 cents. That's for a mug of joe on the premises, and cream must be requested; sugar at tables. If you order coffee for takeout the price shoots way up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back