LAX hotel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

busboy

Service Attendant
I'm coming into LAX on the Coast Starlight and leave the next morning on the Texas Eagle. Anyone have a suggestion on a hotel for the night? I've not been to the LAX train station, I understand it's not in the best area.

Metro Plaza is a decent hotel with reasonable rates about a block from Union Station. It is where I stay for these kind of layovers. BTW-You'll got out at 10pm, that is pretty late in morning...
Ditto

I found the area really pretty nice. Great little mexican "market" area right across street with a couple of fantastic taco shops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, you'll have a whole 24 Hours in LA between #14 and #2/#422.

Suggest you have breakfast @ the famous Phillipe just up the street from the Metro Plaza and Union Station.

Then hop on the Red Line in Union Station to Hollywood and have lunch and enjoy some sightseeing around Sunset and Hollywierd Blvd.

Chinatown is also around Union Station and the Metro Plaza, and as Tony said, Olvera St., the first site of LA, is right there in front of Union Station and worth a look.

And don't forget Beautiful Union Station itself, its a great place to wait for your train, and now its even better with the Metro Lounge upstairs!

I'll chime in for the Metro Plaza as well. Very clean and convenient. The TV offering is limited but, of course, you are not there to watch TV; so that is not a drawback at all. Be sure to walk over by Union Station after dark.

Ok, I misread the schedule, it leaves at 10 pm. That's ok, I'll check out as late as possible and find something interesting to do. Is the area around the station safe to walk around?

LA Union Station is essentially on the edge of downtown. I found the area to be a typical urban neighborhood, nothing particularly unsafe. However, if someone not used to being in urban settings could find it perhaps edgy after dark. During the day, though, it should seem fine to nearly anyone.

You could just save a day and connect on the same evening - arrive 9 PM on the Coast Starlight, and depart at 10 PM (Sunset Limited)). It's a guaranteed connection. But then, no time to visit LA.

The suggestion is to leave the CS starting point a day later, so there would be a one-hour layover in LA instead of a 25-hour layover.

Last edited by a moderator:
BB, I'm taking the SWC to Lax, next month. I arrive in LAX around 8am & leave on the TE around 10pm. I decided to spend several hours riding the Pacific Surfliner, R/T, to SAN. That may be an option for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back