Layover in Chicago Union Station - water taxi?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliforniaMom

Service Attendant
We'll be getting into CUS on the CZ around 2:50pm, then boarding the CL around 6:40pm.

Is the water taxi (I know there are several companies) close enough to CUS? Can you do a round trip on the water taxi without getting off, and if so, how long does that take?

My granddaughter and I took the water taxi from Union Station to Navy Pier and back a couple of summers ago and really enjoyed it. Their dock is under the Adams Street Bridge just across the river from the station. Really close and easy to get to.

First, I wouldn't count on getting in at 2:50 Train 6(21) is running 9 hours late today and has been Its taking the Wyoming detour to Denver.
Its been running consistently over 3 hours late.

and Yes there are water taxis on the Chicago River. There is a stop at the Willis Tower right across from Union Station.. I think the fares are

per trip and are either $ 5 or $8 per person.

First, I wouldn't count on getting in at 2:50 Train 6(21) is running 9 hours late today and has been Its taking the Wyoming detour to Denver.

Its been running consistently over 3 hours late.

and Yes there are water taxis on the Chicago River. There is a stop at the Willis Tower right across from Union Station.. I think the fares are

per trip and are either $ 5 or $8 per person.
Thanks, our trip isn't till August, so I'm hoping delays due to snow and mudslides won't be an issue. :)

My granddaughter and I took the water taxi from Union Station to Navy Pier and back a couple of summers ago and really enjoyed it. Their dock is under the Adams Street Bridge just across the river from the station. Really close and easy to get to.
Thanks, would you say two hours is enough to do the water taxi ride to/from Navy Pier and maybe a Ferris Wheel ride?

2-hours seems close, but OK. It depends on the boat schedule, which I can't find. Their website simply says "Frequent Departures". Not very helpful. You could google "Shoreline Sightseeing" and go to the "contact us" link to ask specifically about the timing.

When we went, our CZ to CL layover was much too close to even try, so we did it on our return trip which gave us a lot more flexibility without stressing about the timing.

When we boarded the boat at Navy Pier to return to CUS the crew was doing some cleaning. One of them asked us about our trip plans and we mentioned we had a train to catch. The order was given to cast off ASAP, although we told them we had plenty of time. But they seemed to enjoy getting us back to the station in record time. We were the only passengers--our own private yacht! It was pretty nice!

Is the ferris wheel even operating? They were doing some major rehab work on it this spring. Be aware that it takes about a half an hour to go round, plus wait time in line.

Is the ferris wheel even operating? They were doing some major rehab work on it this spring. Be aware that it takes about a half an hour to go round, plus wait time in line.

2-hours seems close, but OK. It depends on the boat schedule, which I can't find. Their website simply says "Frequent Departures". Not very helpful. You could google "Shoreline Sightseeing" and go to the "contact us" link to ask specifically about the timing.

When we went, our CZ to CL layover was much too close to even try, so we did it on our return trip which gave us a lot more flexibility without stressing about the timing.

When we boarded the boat at Navy Pier to return to CUS the crew was doing some cleaning. One of them asked us about our trip plans and we mentioned we had a train to catch. The order was given to cast off ASAP, although we told them we had plenty of time. But they seemed to enjoy getting us back to the station in record time. We were the only passengers--our own private yacht! It was pretty nice!
Good to know, maybe we'll just grab a gelato and stretch our legs a bit.

http://www.chicagowatertaxi.com/summer-schedule-begins-saturday-may-24th/

We took this and it was a highlight for our Chicago pitstop!
Looks fun, thanks!

Thanks for heads up on wait time, plus I don't know if I could stand a half hour on the ferris wheel!

I just had an overnight layover in CHI. I took the water taxi to the Architecture Tour (Taxi is free if yiu buy the tour). The whole thing took about 2 hrs 15 minutes plus walking times, but I hit the departure times with minimum waits between legs.

What do you do with all of your luggage? We will have a 5 hour layover in CHI on our way to New Orleans. We will have large suitcases.

What do you do with all of your luggage? We will have a 5 hour layover in CHI on our way to New Orleans. We will have large suitcases.
If you're in a sleeper (either arriving or departing), you can store your luggage in the "coat room" in the Metropolitan lounge. Most of us give a small tip ($1-2/bag) to the attendent when we pick up our luggage.

My three times or so connecting in Chicago has now allowed me to venture far from the station. One day, I'll get an ontime arrival!
I'm thinking I might as well scrub any plans I have for venturing out of the station this year with how late the LSL has been running. a 4-1/2 hour layover reduced to a "hope I make my connection". :(

My three times or so connecting in Chicago has now allowed me to venture far from the station. One day, I'll get an ontime arrival!
I'm thinking I might as well scrub any plans I have for venturing out of the station this year with how late the LSL has been running. a 4-1/2 hour layover reduced to a "hope I make my connection". :(
This happened to me a couple weeks ago when my Lake Shore arrived 15 minutes after my Texas Eagle was suppose to depart. But they held the Texas Eagle, although I had to hike from the last New York Sleeper through the obstacle course of deer-in-the headlight pax standing dead in the water on the narrow platform no idea what to do and then head all the way to the Texas Eagle Transdorm.

A 4 hour plus layover totally vaporized and no Giordano's as a result! But I was not upset at all and consoled myself with a Cheese Nuker Pizza from the Lounge which really isn't that bad. Perhaps Giordano's needs to have a pizza cart roaming on the platform at CUS; they'd sell a lot of pies :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This happened to me a couple weeks ago when my Lake Shore arrived 15 minutes after my Texas Eagle was suppose to depart. But they held the Texas Eagle, although I had to hike from the last New York Sleeper through the obstacle course of deer-in-the headlight pax standing dead in the water on the narrow platform no idea what to do and then head all the way to the Texas Eagle Transdorm.

A 4 hour plus layover totally vaporized and no Giordano's as a result! But I was not upset at all and consoled myself with a Cheese Nuker Pizza from the Lounge which really isn't that bad. Perhaps Giordano's needs to have a pizza cart roaming on the platform at CUS; they'd sell a lot of pies :)
You think there's room on the CUS platforms for a pizza cart? :eek: As if the lines of people on the platforms weren't bad enough... :D

If they ever opened a Giordano's or Lou Malnati's at Union Station, they would make a killing.

There are storage lockers in the south passenger lounge and baggage claim areas at Chicago Union station if the Metropolitan Lounge is not an option. Looking at the rates on the website link, not cheap, but less expensive than the baggage storage vendor at DC Union Station. Of course, given how late the trains have been running, odds are against a full 5 hour layover at CHI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back