Layover in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Allan

Hello!!

We (my family and I) are a very small city group that have booked an Amtrak trip next March on the City of New Orleans and the California Zephyr and if all goes well will have about 5 hours between trains in Chicago. Is this enough time to visit, say, the Art Institute of Chicago and maybe Millenium Park? If so, how would you get there from Union Station. Also, what would a good restaraunt nearby?

Thanks

Allan

Millenium Park is an easy walk from Union Station. Near by on Jackson St. is Giordano's pizza. You pass many interesting spots on the way. Check Trip Advisor web site forum for more information. Local experts will answer questions for you, about specific interest. :)

easy walk from union station down to michigan ave and millenium park. don't miss the chicago cultural center across from the park. beautfiul building with always something going on and all for free. the art institute requires a lifetime but if you had some specific pieces you wanted to see it is right by millenium park and the cultural center.

Arguably the best breakfast in Chicago is at Lou Mitchell's.

Others are welcome to dispute this, but this restaurant is very handy to Chicago Union Station. It's coffee shop/diner fare, breakfast and lunch, but very good coffee shop/diner fare.

Arguably the best breakfast in Chicago is at Lou Mitchell's.
Others are welcome to dispute this, but this restaurant is very handy to Chicago Union Station. It's coffee shop/diner fare, breakfast and lunch, but very good coffee shop/diner fare.
There are other resturants. I have been to Lou's twice and find it boring, and nothing special.

bill

Hello!!
We (my family and I) are a very small city group that have booked an Amtrak trip next March on the City of New Orleans and the California Zephyr and if all goes well will have about 5 hours between trains in Chicago. Is this enough time to visit, say, the Art Institute of Chicago and maybe Millenium Park? If so, how would you get there from Union Station. Also, what would a good restaraunt nearby?

Thanks

Allan
One exit is on Adams that you leave Union Station from and walk down Adams towards the Lake.

The Art Institute is at Adams and Michigan Avenue. You will have Millenium park to your left from the Art

Institute. You will hav time to do both, but deceide on what style or what paintings you want to see at the Art Institute, that will save you time if you dont care for say modern art or other styles.

Bill

Lou Mitchell’s is, in fact, close to Union Station, and the food is as advertised, but you’ll want two scoops of lard with that salt-lick.

Thanks for the information! We still haven't decided between seeing the Sears Tower or Millenium Park but we are really looking forward to this trip!! I'm the only one in the family that has traveled by train before and that was on the Panama Limited (quite a few years ago :D ) so it should be quite an adventure.

Thanks for the information! We still haven't decided between seeing the Sears Tower or Millenium Park but we are really looking forward to this trip!! I'm the only one in the family that has traveled by train before and that was on the Panama Limited (quite a few years ago :D ) so it should be quite an adventure.
Last December, my then five-year-old son and I had a four hour layover in Chicago, which was just enough time to do the Sears Tower and grab a quick dinner at the food court at Union Station. One year later, he's still talking about going up to the top of the Sears Tower. Just be prepared to pay $20 for the photo they take at the beginning of the tour!

Be prepared to cut any plans you have down. While comeing in on the Lake Shore Limited we had a 6 hour layover before the Southwest Chief. This was cut in half. Regardless to say, we cut our plans short.

We just got back from a trip to Buffalo and had layovers in Chicago. We loved Lou Mitchell's which is within easy walking distance. There is also a Starbuck's near by. There is a diner/bar at the station and the food was awful. Also w/i easy walking distance is the Sears Tower, which we enjoyed, but be prepared to get screened like at the airport. They also take your picture. There were some snack bars or little restaurants there near the gift shops as well if I remember correctly. There is a charge to go up to the top of the tower, but I can't remember what that was..hubby paid :)

There is a diner/bar at the station and the food was awful.
At least the American draft beer out towards the Great Hall was cold! :D Didn't try any food beyond soft pretzels, though.

I thought I'd throw that out there for those who get thirsty after a day of hiking around Chicago.

As a previous poster mentioned, be prepared to have your layover cut short. Every single time I have ever had to switch trains in Chicago, something happened where we were delayed. Twice I never made my connection and Amtrak spent oodles putting us all up for the night. I'm not saying this will happen, just sharing my experiences. Just in case you are shorter on time and can't leave the station, there are "food court" type eateries at Union Station. Gold Coast Hot Dogs would be your best bet for genuine Chicago fare....italian beef sandwiches (a Chicago staple) are pretty decent and of course their dogs are good too. You also have the usual Chinese, Pizza, McDonald's etc. There is a decent bakery too (forgot the name) that has excellent breads and good sandwiches and a nut/popcorn shop where you could at least pick up some decent snacks for the second leg of your trip.

Another poster mentioned Giordano's Pizza for a lunch place.....if you want to try another Chicago classic, deep dish pizza, this restaurant can deliver. They have thin crust too, and other menu items. Be prepared though, they make the pizza as you order and it takes about 45 minutes to get it but it's worth the wait. I used to live in Chicago that is why I am slightly obsessed with the "food angle" of your inquiry since I miss all those things. Enjoy your trip....no matter what, train travel is still the best way to go...in my book

Gold Coast Hot Dogs would be your best bet for genuine Chicago fare....italian beef sandwiches (a Chicago staple) are pretty decent and of course their dogs are good too. You also have the usual Chinese, Pizza, McDonald's etc. There is a decent bakery too (forgot the name) that has excellent breads and good sandwiches and a nut/popcorn shop where you could at least pick up some decent snacks for the second leg of your trip.
I can vouche that Gold Coast Hot Dogs is decent if a Chicago-style dog is what you are after. Also have tried the chinese as well as the BBQ in the food court. All were decent enough that I've never felt the need to wander outside the station for a quick bite before boarding the train. If I'm heading east or west out of Chicago I may or may not need much in the way of food because sleeper accomodations mean that I'll be eating in the diner before long. But if I'm heading home (meaning the Hoosier State) I have to eat well as there are no services at all on that run. So good food is a must!

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I ate in a grill/bar off the great hall last may before we boarded the SWC. For the life of me I can't remember the name, although the food was fine.

As far as the Sears Tower is concerned, it was $11.95 per adult. Don't recall children's rates, but be prepared. As far as the $20 picture is concerned, that is your option and are not under obligation to buy (although they will give you a hard sell) and we had no problem saying 'no' to it.

Depending on how busy it is, you pay, go through screening, stand in front of a green screen for your picture, and then are herded off to a 20 minute movie. THEN you can go up to the observation deck. Although I can understand the screening process, the rest of it annoyed us a lot. Just let us get to the observation deck already...

Another fun thing I would have like to have tried is the water taxi (although now would not be a good time) :p . There's one nearby the depot and during a nice day, it would have been interesting to take a quick ride on the river.

There are great architecture boat tours, they take about an hour, and do a really good job. The boats launch from a dock near Michigan & Wacker.

Be prepared to cut any plans you have down. While comeing in on the Lake Shore Limited we had a 6 hour layover before the Southwest Chief. This was cut in half. Regardless to say, we cut our plans short.
I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. the Lakeshore Limited was three hours and twenty minutes late arriving into Chicago. It was also sleeting/snowing, and we were dressed for fall in New England. We stayed in the train station.

Rick

also don't neglect to allow time to sit and ponder in the great hall of union station. i like the worn stones steps up out of the hall trod by millions.
Absolutely! Every time I walk down the steps coming in the main entrance I wonder about the many people that have gone down them before me. You can actually feel the hollowed-out portions on the marble steps. It's one of those 'lost in time' moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back