Layover in Moynihan Train Hall?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first thing I wanted to do here is to ask the experienced and those in the know about one doubt I have while booking a ticket to travel from Philadelphia to Boston. The journey as informed by Amtrak booking system, involves two segments. While the first train arrives in New York late evening, the other leaves from New York for Boston about five six hours in the early morning. now I also understand that the Station hall in New york is not open 24/7 and instead gets closed for about five hours during the night.

So my query is that in such case where one hold guaranteed connection single ticket, does that ticket holding passenger needs to go out on deserted roads or is Amtrak provides any appropriate support for that night stay.

Regards

Welcome to the forum!
There seem to be many trains from Philadelphia direct to Boston without need for change, so maybe look at a different train option?
There are overnight trains, such as Northeast Regional train 66, which departs Philly a few minutes after midnight, and arrives in Boston just before 10am. Also Acela (Express trains), such as 2150 which leave just after 6.30am and reach Boston about 5 hours later.
I can't actually answer your question directly, but if the Moynihan Train hall is closed overnight, I guess no one can remain inside at that time?
There will probably be all night cafes and such near Penn station if you decide to stick to that original schedule, Amtrak won't provide any hotel while you wait for your next train.

If you do find yourself needing to do this somehow, the Tick tock Diner at the New Yorker Hotel a block north is open 24 hours and would be preferable to being on the street or in Penn I would think. I've been there but it was daylight hours and I don't know how receptive to having folks hang after the've eaten they are.

F why I that Amtrak that Amtrak train stops at to Boston stations: Back Bay (BBY) and South Station (BOS).

I have spent the night and they old and station passenger waiting area. You have to show your ticket to someone to get in to the area. The seats are comfortable but you really can’t expect to sleep in there. And on this particular occasion, the restroom was OK. Across the way there was one deli and then another restaurant opened in the middle of the night sometime.

For the most part it was quiet Train hall that although opened up 5 AM - the Metropolitan lounge didn’t open till 7 AM on a Sunday ha ha.

I did some dummy PHL-BOS bookings and it appears that, depending on the day of travel, the last direct departure from PHL is between 5-7 PM. If OP wants a later departure then a layover in NYP is necessary.

However, from OP’s description, it seems he /she is connecting to train 66 at NYP. This train leaves PHL just after midnight daily. OP, if you don’t want the layover at NYP and you could schedule your departure later, you could book 66 direct; you would just have to book 66 for the next day after what you originally booked. There may be a fare difference, but you should be able to make that change to your reservation if you wanted to.

I did some dummy PHL-BOS bookings and it appears that, depending on the day of travel, the last direct departure from PHL is between 5-7 PM. If OP wants a later departure then a layover in NYP is necessary.

However, from OP’s description, it seems he /she is connecting to train 66 at NYP. This train leaves PHL just after midnight daily. OP, if you don’t want the layover at NYP and you could schedule your departure later, you could book 66 direct; you would just have to book 66 for the next day after what you originally booked. There may be a fare difference, but you should be able to make that change to your reservation if you wanted to.
If you’re taking the night train through NYP and arrive when the Moynahan train hall is closed (1 AM to 5 AM) you will be unable to even view the Monyhan Train Hall from even the outside or if there is a way I wasn’t able to find it in a 20 minute layover on the 67. I was disappointed.

If you are in the old NYP section of the station there is one or two all night delis/markets accessible if you go up the right stairway/escalator. What I did was I took a pix with my cell phone of the car number and the track number before exploring and paid attention to the time - especially if the train is running late, find the correct stairway/escalator when returning to the track/platform. This applies to any train not just the night train.

Back