LD sleeper question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beth

Hello. I am thinking of taking Amtrak from New Jersey to Seattle around Christmas (I will be flying back). I know it will take about three days, probably on the Capitol Limited and the Empire Builder. Is it worth it to get a roommette on the Empire Builder to have access to the showers and the included price of food? I have gone long distance coach before, but I've never been in the sleeper so I'm thinking of doing it for the experience. Also, if I do coach on the first leg of the trip and I go on a sleeper for the second part, do I have access to the first class lounge in Chicago?

Thanks.

Sounds like a decent plan! If you go coach WAS-CHI on the CL, you could eat a mid-afternoon meal prior to leaving WAS, then a light breakfast in the diner before you arrive at CHI.....A sleeper CHI-SEA would allow you 5 meals on the way, plus the wine and cheese tasting day!
cool.gif

Also, how easy is it to upgrade from a coach fare to a sleeper before my trip starts? For example, if I want to pay for the coach fare now and upgrade to an available roommette down the line, can I do that online?

Deciding if the price is worth it is up to you. The price can vary greatly, so you'll have to decide that when you are attempting to book sleeper accommodations.

At most accommodation charges, personally, I think it's worth it, but I know others would disagree. I am price-sensitive and if the fare is too high, I plan a trip at a different time when there is less demand.

The ride in sleeper is way nicer than in coach, but as mentioned, there are lots of variables in pricing - so make your plans as early as possible and be flexible with dates.

If you can afford the sleeper ticket, you will not regret it. It is a fine way to travel!

Hello. I am thinking of taking Amtrak from New Jersey to Seattle around Christmas (I will be flying back). I know it will take about three days, probably on the Capitol Limited and the Empire Builder. Is it worth it to get a roommette on the Empire Builder to have access to the showers and the included price of food? I have gone long distance coach before, but I've never been in the sleeper so I'm thinking of doing it for the experience. Also, if I do coach on the first leg of the trip and I go on a sleeper for the second part, do I have access to the first class lounge in Chicago?

Thanks.

In chicago, yes..... and having a sleeper cabin is nice...i can't imagine going without a shower for 2-3 days.

Plus, it's nice being able to actually lay down in a bed to sleep, vs in a chair, even if it does recline. And in a cabin you can strip off your clothes, unlike in Coach :)

Also, how easy is it to upgrade from a coach fare to a sleeper before my trip starts? For example, if I want to pay for the coach fare now and upgrade to an available roommette down the line, can I do that online?
Sleeper prices usually will go up, the longer you wait, so I would just book a roomette now. However, they can fluctuate, depending if people cancel their rooms or not. You can certainly book a coach now, but there really is no reason to not book a sleeper with it. If you book a sleeper now, and later see the price drop you can always switch it and get a slight refund for the difference. Or if you see that a different day has a lower price after booking, you can switch as well for a refund of the difference.

7 days up to departure though, you cannot cancel a room for a full refund. You'd only be able to use it for a voucher. Coach you can cancel anytime for a refund.

The Empire Builder is generally sold out during the holiday travel season. You really should reserve the roomette now. As stated you can continue to check back for a lower price.

Not necessarily the same train - but when I posted questions regarding a train trip during Thanksgiving; I was offered the suggestion to book early (thanks Pennyk!). In the last month, I have noticed that the price has doubled on the same trip (bedroom / 3 people)! I have learned that Train's price their trips much different than airlines. I suggest book the room now (if you can) and then cancel if it proves to be too much vs. hoping to find a "better deal" while on the train. Just my $.02 from a very inexperienced train person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info! Just two more questions: Where does the wine & cheese tasting occur on the Empire Builder, and is it just for sleeper passengers? And, is there some sort of list as to who can use the shower in the car and when? Or, do you just have to walk down to it and hope no one else is there?

We always just used the showers on the LD trains. (We brought our own soap.) Have not had to sign up. Have others?

Have a great trip.

Thanks for the info! Just two more questions: Where does the wine & cheese tasting occur on the Empire Builder, and is it just for sleeper passengers? And, is there some sort of list as to who can use the shower in the car and when? Or, do you just have to walk down to it and hope no one else is there?
The Wine and Cheese tasting is in the Dinning Car. This is in the afternoon. They will have a list for people to sign up for it since the space is limited. This is only for the adults in the sleeping car.

The shower has no sign up. Just have to see if it's open. Last year, I did not have to wait for it. I did it after breafast. You don't need to bring soap, they provide you a small bag that has the soap and shampoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back