Leaky travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

...sick of the rain... tarps everywhere..

Has anyone ever seen a leak on Amtrak? Don't get funny. I want to know if you've ever seen rain coming into the train from outside. What kind of construction keeps it out?

Down South

...sick of the rain... tarps everywhere..
Has anyone ever seen a leak on Amtrak? Don't get funny. I want to know if you've ever seen rain coming into the train from outside. What kind of construction keeps it out?

Down South
I commute on Keystone service daily. Have ridden for more than 5 yrs. In that time I have seen one or 2 cars where rain was coming in along the outer edge of the seat from the top of the window on a rainy day.

I have had the window in a sleeper leak...it was dripping inside the wall, but didn't come into the room. You could just hear it going "drip, drip, drip, drip"....was VERY annoying. And made me wonder just how much black mold was growing in the car....

I don't know if this counts, but we had a shower in our bedroom that would not shut off. It dripped and dripped and the floor was constantly wet.

Our SA tried to fix it, no luck. She asked a workman in Philadelphia to fix and it still leaked. About half way on our trip (NYP to IND on the Cardinal)

the SA informed us that the people in the bedroom next to us had disembarked and she opened the connecting wall, so we had a bedroom suite for

the remainder of our journey!!

I'm sure there's a car or two that's bound to have a leak at some point. With as many million miles as these cars do, you're bound to get a leak (and yes, much of the fleet as a few million miles on it). Loose weather stripping around the windows is the most likely place you're going to see a leak.

When I was taking the Crescent out of New Orleans once, I was directed to a coach which turned out to have a major ceiling leak. As the rain only started to pick up just before boarding, the attendant didn't notice it.

I was concerned that there might be an electrical problem due to from where the leak was coming out of the ceiling. The water made several rows unusable for the entire trip.

And if it's not raining outside yet you're still getting dripped on, it might be condensation from the A/C in the car. :)

Sept of 2008 I traveled west on the EB from Chicago to Portland. The floor of my deluxe sleeper was soaked with water, presumably from the rain, though I have now way of confirming this. Along with the wetness, there was a constant smell of sewage.

I booked the trip with AGR points and was awarded a full refund.

June 2008 on the EB east bound. Leak started some time in the night. Woke up to wet, pillows sheets and everything else. Roomette # 10. Was the last roomette on the train. Was moved to coach untill morning when another roomette opened up.. It was also roomette # 10. The frist roomwette also had a bad smell. I think it was leaking for some time. The agent in Seattle must have thought about the money and sold the room anyway. Got my money back.

Last edited by a moderator:
During our run on the Texas Eagle from AUS-CHI we ran into very heavy rain just before STL, several of the pax in sleepers complained to the SCA and Conductor that their roomettes were leaking, mine wasnt (#4), didnt hear of any

bedrooms leaking, the pax were moved to the transition sleeper. Im riding back from CHI-AUS on Sat., hope the same sleeper is fixed or another one is on the train!

Well. Should we add something to our pack list to plug the leaks?

Toothpaste?

Chewing gum?

Help me out.

Will duck tape hold up to the rain? You should see my outside yard. A piece of plywood catches the overflow (yeah, I know, wood) which then is directed to a tarp which is then directed to pieces of wood from remodeling to keep it away from my house. I even put duck tape on the slider.

I canoed across the Okefenokee with duct tape covering pin light holes I didn't see until the old fiberglass canoe was turned upside down on the top of the suv a few minutes away from launch.

I can see it now. Hello, SA, let me run outside and put some duck tape on the window. Me. I would get a buddy and one roll. Throw it over the car like we used to tp trees. We could get the hatches battened down quickly. There's NO way I'd hang around a car that smelled like sewage may have been running loose. Please tell me the pipes are not overhead.

The agent in Seattle must have thought about the money and sold the room anyway. Got my money back.
Don't be infantile. I sincerely doubt there is a ticket agent out there that is aware of the problems of a roomette they are selling you, ever.

Well. Should we add something to our pack list to plug the leaks?
Toothpaste?

Chewing gum?

Help me out.

Will duck tape hold up to the rain? You should see my outside yard. A piece of plywood catches the overflow (yeah, I know, wood) which then is directed to a tarp which is then directed to pieces of wood from remodeling to keep it away from my house. I even put duck tape on the slider.

I canoed across the Okefenokee with duct tape covering pin light holes I didn't see until the old fiberglass canoe was turned upside down on the top of the suv a few minutes away from launch.

I can see it now. Hello, SA, let me run outside and put some duck tape on the window. Me. I would get a buddy and one roll. Throw it over the car like we used to tp trees. We could get the hatches battened down quickly. There's NO way I'd hang around a car that smelled like sewage may have been running loose. Please tell me the pipes are not overhead.

Mighty Putty!

I don't think the pipes are over the downstairs roomettes, & they do not run across the ceiling upstairs in the Superliners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back