left in Dallas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

steve brown

Amtrak loco 34 and a diner and lounge car are sitting on a siding at the Dallas station. With the shortage of equipment wonder why?

Likely a defect in the cars that has to be fixed by Mechanical before they can be moved. They also routinely leave a Pony in Dallas for emergency power.

And Amtrak cab baggage unit 90229 is heading north on the Eagle behind two ponys. Usually only one pony on that run. Looked to be the regular number of Superliners plus one baggage.

Probably swapping out equipment on the Heartland Flyer for maintenence cycles. That's just my guess though.

-Firebert

If they are swapping with the Heartland Flyer, then why would the equipment be Dallas. The Flyer runs out of Fort Worth.

Don't worry, that was just the Sunset Limited. They are trying a new approach where they put some of the cars at each city so it is on time twice a day.

Steve, Amtrak had those cars to display to fairgoers at the State Fair of Texas. Amtrak has done that the last two years here as a PR endeavor. No car defects, just show-and-tell.

BTW, Buhtallion 51, Amtrak does not keep any ponies at Dallas, for emergency power, or any other reason.

The pics you say you've seen must be old, or rare.

I'm in Dallas every day and the only Amtrak motive power I see is pulling the EB & WB Texas Eagle.

But then I once saw a pic of a Superliner I in Miami, so I guess they keep them there, routinely, eh?

This locomotive had been in Ft. Worth for a good while. I was taking the Texas Eagle from Ft. Worth to Austin every Friday from mid September to mid October. It always sat on a siding in close proximity to the Amtrak storage area, and a derail was placed in front of it. On October 8th the locomotive was gone and I haven't been back to Fort Worth.

Ft. Worth and Dallas are thirty miles apart, with DFW airport in Arlington.

AMTK@AUS said:
Ft. Worth and Dallas are thirty miles apart, with DFW airport in Arlington.
DFW Airport is not Arlington. It sits in Grapevine, Euless, Irving and Coppell, but doesn't even touch Arlington. It touches Fort Worth though.

But yes that picture is in Fort Worth. Dallas and Fort are two different cities, with two different Amtrak stops.

battalion51 said:
Dems fightin words. See it for yourself bucko.
Maybe they have a geography class - and a frosh remedial reading class - you may take at that state U you'll be attending :lol: Then you can read captions, and locate cities! ...ahh- public education in Florida...

Dallas and Fort Worth always have been two separate, distinct cities, separate rail stations, and stops. BTW, Dallas has it's own airport (Love Field) in addition to DFW International...

Back