let's bombard washington with pro-Amtrak letters

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrak_flyer

Train Attendant
If we want to maintain Amtrak as it is or better, nows the time to start calling and writing letters. Have your family, spouse, kids, friends send letters too.. ASAP.

Tell your Representatives and Senators to support Amtraks FY 2004 request of 1.8 billion..tell them Amtraks important to you and to our country.

As far as the President..let him know his plan is flawed and rail including long distance trains are important.

Lets make a difference!

Whitehouse comment line 202-456-1111

[email protected]

[email protected]

YES...it makes a difference!

Case in point. With all the outcry last year, Bush's FY 2004 budget proposal IS 73% higher then he propsed for FY2003. This amount is still inadaquate. But its a small step in the right direction.

Another factor to consider this is going to be an election year. Bush knows he has to get the economy going and focus on domestic programs if he doesnt want to pull a repeat of his dad's election lost in 1992. Amtrak is a heated topic..the more heated we can keep it the better!

Remember to write your members of Congress as well. Tell them you want to maintain a nationwide rail system. Remind them of the reasons Amtrak was created in the first place, because private railroads couldnt run the service without subsidies. Letters to the editors of your local papers help too.

Lastly talk to your friends about train travel. The more people that ride the better!

Lastly talk to your friends about train travel. The more people that ride the better!
That's where the irony kicks in though. They say they would , only if it were faster, more modern, and cheaper. I can agree to that on some fact, but I think Amtrak's current equipment is pretty good, it's the track that's holding speeds down.

Hey I'm doing pretty good down here. I sold my next door neighbors on trains, they went to Camden, SC last week on the Star, neighbors down the street went to Orlando a couple of times. Also, I was able to talk one of my Aunt's friends into taking Auto Train. So brownie points for the chief!

Yes, send Washington a piece of our minds and e-mail them, write them, fax them, call them, do anything to pass a bill to save Amtrak! i e-mail every senator, every day to save Amtrak. I remember that senator or what every he is today said "That after Sep. 11th Amtrak would be the first one to go". well, in your face Mr. Dashel, apparently the airlines are going, not Amtrak.

Well I’ve got everything off my mind, see ya!

Why not sponsor a rail tour for the top brass in Washington, DC to some lesser developed countries (Ukraine, Russia, China)? ;)

Let them experience that:

- A long-distance train does not have to run with >90 mph in order to be attractive. It is number and the convenience of connections.

- If you provide reasonable accomodation (economical and simple 4-bed compartments for a few bucks) for most people (and sleeping sections who does not have much money) the passengers will be happy.

- The railroad to be operational needs three things: operational discipline, financial discipline and planing discipline. It is basically a quasi-military operation. IMHO what I read about Gunn he is pretty much on-track with that.

In addition to sending letters and faxes and making phone calls to Congress, you should join NARP (The National Association of Railroad Passengers) as well. Get on their email lists. NARP sends out email alerts when Congress is considering Amtrak-related legislation so that you can send letters, etc., when it's most important. And NARP itself is also fairly effective in working with and lobbying Congress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back