Letter from my congressman

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EmpireBuilderFan1976

Service Attendant
Back in June I wrote a letter to my congressman urging him to support full funding for Amtrak. I wasn't sure how he stood on the issue but the reply I received from him was very encouraging:

Thank you for your message in support of Amtrak. I share your support for passenger rail and appreciate hearing from you.

As you may know, the President's proposed budget for Fiscal Year (FY) 2007 included $900 million for Amtrak. This funding level was matched by the House Appropriations Committee which included $900 million for Amtrak in the FY 2007 Transportation, Treasury, and Housing and Urban Development, The Judiciary, District of Columbia, and Independent Agencies Appropriations bill. During debate on the House floor, an amendment was adopted, which I supported, that will increase funding for Amtrak by $214 million to $1.114 billion. This is still less than what Amtrak needs to continue existing service and make necessary improvements, but the Senate has not yet approved its own FY 2007 Transportation Appropriations bill and additional funding could still be provided.

Since its inception in the 1970s, Amtrak has faced chronic under funding. Lack of adequate funding and the annual threat of elimination have conditioned Amtrak to focus more on survival than providing the best and most efficient service. The Department of Transportation's Inspector General and others have made it clear that Amtrak needs substantial investment to rehabilitate its infrastructure, while continuing to operate existing service. Years of under-funding have left Amtrak in poor financial and physical shape.

That's why I've cosponsored the Amtrak Reauthorization Act, H.R. 1630, which authorizes $2 billion per year for Amtrak. In addition, I'm a cosponsor of the Rail Infrastructure Development and Expansion Act for the 21st Century (RIDE-21), which authorizes the Secretary of Transportation to issue high speed rail infrastructure development bonds with tax benefits to the holders of the bonds. This legislation makes corridor development activities (including the acquisition of locomotives, rolling stock, track, and signal equipment) eligible for Federal assistance. The Senate has introduced similar legislation, S. 1516, which provides an average of $1.9 billion annually for Amtrak and authorizes $13 billion in bonds for capital improvements. Unfortunately, neither the House nor Senate bills have been considered by the full House or Senate. You can be sure, however, that I will continue to push for passage of this important legislation.

Congress provides subsidies for all other modes of transportation, including aviation and roads. Unfortunately, Congress typically distributes only a small portion of federal transportation funding to rail. In fiscal year 2005, the government provided approximately $34 billion for highways, $13 billion for aviation, and $1 billion for Amtrak. Rail should not be forced to be the only self sufficient mode of transportation. Amtrak will never live up to its potential if it is continually under funded.

Instead of targeting Amtrak for cuts, we should support and highlight Amtrak as a program that works. Most European nations heavily subsidize rail travel. This makes sense because rail travel keeps passengers out of their cars and off publicly funded roads, contributing to better air quality and reducing highway maintenance costs.

During the coming year, Congress will be faced with important decisions regarding the future of Amtrak and the continuation of passenger rail service. You can be assured that I'll continue to support federal assistance for Amtrak. Again, thank you for contacting me on this important issue. Please keep in touch.

Rep.Peter DeFazio

Fourth District, OREGON

EmpirebuilderFan1976,

I'm glad that your Congressman sent something back to you, BUT, I SWEAR they (meaning all Congressman and Senators) have the same darn form letter that they fill in and send out to constituents.

I recently received one from Dennis Hastert, my Congressman, and it reads virtually the same as yours with a few tiny changes. I'll bet the congress staffers get together and depending on the subject matter, and depending on which side of the aisle they fall(yey or nay) have the same letter that they can pull from their pc and have the congressman/senator sign or stamp whichever the case may be.

I realize that they get hundreds of letter, e-mails. etc. every week and that stored letters somehow make sense, but you think each elected official would write something that represents their personal thinking on the matter..........I suppose I can dream on!

Sorry that was a bit of a rant and I'll stop now!

If you receive a letter from a Congressman stating a case for Amtrak, you can assume that it represents their thoughts and opinions on the matter.

With the volume of phone calls, letters and emails receved daily, a constituent can't really expect to have a personal original letter drafted in response to their concern.

However, as a former Washington worker, I will tell you that the letters, email and phone calls are taken very seriously and they are tallied.

Keep writing!

Every rep I contacted for Nebraska either called me, or sent a letter. I got resentful that my Democrat rep hadn't replied. So I was invited to his birthday party/fund raiser and chose not to go. Two days after his shindig, I got a letter saying he supports Amtrak. Amtrak makes a stop in his hometown: McCook Nebraska on the California Zephyr. I felt like a schmuck! :blink:

So my question is, if they DIDN'T support Amtrak, would they simply not reply, or would they send you a letter stating their lack of support, or one that dodges the question.

I can imagine it would be something reading like this...

"Thank you for taking the time to contact me on your concerns. We live in difficult times in which we must prioritize our transportation needs, and I assure you, I support a balanced transportation initiative. I've sponsored legislation for airline facility and security improvements as well as interstate highway improvements to improve our nation's transportation network, and will continue to do so. Thank you for your continued support."

Senator Nelson here in Florida has no use for Amtrak, and doesn't mince his words on the subject, unfortunately. So at least in his case, if you are a constituent and tell him you want it supported, too bad, he won't. And HE'S a Democrat. Go Figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back