Lewis and Clark Explorer Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_relei

Lead Service Attendant
http://www.odot.state.or.us/rail/PDF%20fil...Lewis&Clark.pdf

Beginning May 23, there will be a Rail Diesel Car(RDC) train providing round trip rail service between Portland, Oregon, and Astoria on the old SP&S (GN and Oregon Electric) line. The train will leave Portland at 7:30 am and arrive Astoria at 11:30am. The route follows the Columbia River for most of the trip, most of it far away from the highway, where motorists normally don't get to travel or see. I have been on both bus and boat, and it is very scenic along the river. The return trip leaves Astoria at 4:30pm and arrives at Portland's Union Station at 8:30pm. The roundtrip fare will be about $48. The trips will operate weekends only--Friday,Saturday, Sunday, Monday. The last run will be September 2. The RDCs are former BC

Rail cars.

I hope that when I get back to school in the fall that I'll be able to duck up to Portland and ride this thing, if nothing else than for the rare mileage. Anthony, are you going to put route into Miletrak? (Just kidding...don't throw anything! :lol: )

Latest word is that Amtrak is refusing to operate this train based on safety concerns. Oregon officials are hoping that this is a problem with communications with Amtrak national headquarters in DC, but at the moment, this service is in doubt.

Astoria On LIne

What safety concerns? The line looks fine, and Amtrak has operated RDCs before? What else is Amtrak afraid of?

Amtraks citing loan guarantee last year from DOT stating that no new services will be initated..

It’s on: it’s off; and now it’s ON!

Political pressure is a wonderful thing, and having asserted just the right pressure at just the right places at Amtrak HQ, Oregon has gotten Amtrak to determine that the service that was previously “unsafe” is now “OK.” The Daily Astorian reports that the state (and the state congressional delegation) struck a deal with the “Amtrak President” (I assume David Gunn) to run the train for the summer. As soon as this article is not “breaking news”, a link for non-subscribers will be available and I will post it.

Amtrak is NOT operating the Lewis & Clark Explorer train. The train will be operated by BNSF. Amtrak IS handling reservations and ticketing for ODOT.

Actually, it's Portland & Western who'll operate the train, on their tracks to Astoria. Those RDCs ride nice, should be a hit.

Is aw on the news that on Saturday the RDCs made their inaugural round trip--with state legislators on board--between Portland and Astoria. It was a two-car affair. It is a go! It looks like such a nice ride--along the Columbia River for almost the entire way--much of it away from any highway. So, if anyone has the chance to ride it, take adantage of it.

My research shows that the train runs about 3,000 ft from the Columbia River for most of its trip, sound beautiful! :)

Here is an email from the Oregon Department of Transportation about the train leaving from Linnton, Oregon, rather than from Union Station:

Dear Steve: Thank you for your interest in the Lewis and Clark train. Due

to some unforeseen complications with the railroad there has been

modifications made to the original plans. Yes, the train will leave from

Linnton but we have arranged to have a shuttle bus at Union Station and

board the train at Linnton. There is no additional cost for the bus and we

anticipate the transfer to go smoothly.

We hope you enjoy the excursion.

Rebecca L. Thoreson

Citizens' Representative

Oregon Department of Transportation

355 Capitol Street NE, Room 135

Salem, OR 97301