Lewis and Clark Explorer Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_relei

Lead Service Attendant
Lewis and Clark Explorer Train Once again, the RDC trains will be running between Linnton (near Portland) and Astoria, Oregon. Most of the route is along the scenic Columbia River. Regular passenger service has not been seen on this line since the 1950s. If you have the chance, take advantage of this opportunity. It is an opportunity to ride a Budd Rail Diesel Car train (usually 2-4 cars per train), ride a scenic water-level route, and travel along Lews and Clark's route, and travel a rail route that normally doesn't serve passengers.

I have my tickets ready to travel on the Lewis and Clark Explorer train on Labor Day. The train travels from Linnton(near Portland--bus connection from Union Station) to Astoria on the Oregon Coast and return. The trip takes about 4 hours each way, but it travels almost entirely along the shores of the Columbia River, Even Highway #30 doesn't stick to the waterway for much of its route. This service is partly funded by the Oregon Department of Transportation. Amtrak provides ticketing support.

The Pacific and Western Railroad operates the train, which is a set of RDCs that formerly operated on the BC Rail line in British Columbia. The service operates four days a week (Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday) and runs until September 20. This has been the first passenger service (the train also ran last summer), since the 1950s, and railfans should take advantage of this opportunity. The Astoria line was once built and operated by the GN and the BN railroads.

There was a train derailment on the Portland and Western (not Pacific and Western) that caused the L&C to be cancelled all last weekend, so I rescheduled my trip to yesterday00Sunday Septenber 12, 2004. I was concerned about the weather: several newscasts predicted rain--lots of rain, but actually there was very little and it was actually quite beautiful (sunny) in Astoria.

The train uses old RDCs previously own by BC Rail (with BC Rail lettering, signs and paint scheme still visible in places). The train travels mostly along the Columbia River from Linnton--a mile or so north of the St. Johns Bridge, about two miles from where the BNSF tracks swing northward to cross the Willamette River. Shuttle buses take passengers from Portland Union Station to the L&C train depot. Passengers can also drive to and park their cars at the Linnton depot site. There is no real depot, just a platform. The train is made up of 3 RDCs. The train backs out onto the mainline and the moves forward toward its destination of Astoria.

The train never goes very fast; the fastest I saw was between 30 and 35 mph. These are speed restrictions by the P&W railroad (and FRA). There are three drawbridges (actually swing bridges--that are still operated by hand) for which the train must stop then proceed at under 10 mph. Then after crossing the bridge, the train once again picks up speed.

The train is not always within sight of the Columbia River (or the Willamette Slough--an arm of the Willamette River before it joins with the Columbia). Instead it often travels through verdant fields, farms, pastures, forests, and wetlands (some connected to the Columbia). There are a number of wetland and wildlife refuges along the way. I saw deer (including one that darted out from the front of the train--almost getting hit) and lots of birds. especially Blue Herons. I didn't see any bald eagles this time, but people have on other trips.

The only problem I had is not being able to get a window seat on the water side. At first, I had to sit with an old lady and look over her to look out her window; later I got a seat by the window on the other side (away from the water/river), supposedly with the deal of getting a window seat on the river side on the return trip. On the return trip, it was only an aisle seat on the same side of the train as the river--but no seat next to the window looking at the river!

However, there were a lot of nice things to see on that side of the train. We passed through the towns of Columbia City, St. Helens, and Rainier. In Rainier, the train runs down the middle of the street! There were constantly people all along the route that waved to us. We waved back.

However, at the rear of the train, there was a vestible where I could stand and look out the windows both toward the river and behind the train and enjoy the scenery that way--that worked nicely! I could also roll down the window and breathe in the fresh, country air.

When the train returned to Portland (Linnton), this became the front of the train, and again I could stand here and look out the window at the river and the front of the train as it traveled. This is with the engineer! There were a few other guys (one filming the ride) also in the "cab." The engineer let us blow the whistle at crossings a few times.

Many times, the train is right next to the water--Columbia River; and often it is only the railroad that is there (with high cliffs on the other side). It was great getting that close to the water. I could see several oceangoing ships on the river; we seemed to be pacing each other as we almost were neck in neck in speed. There were also tugs and various pleasure craft out on the water, fishermen were plentiful. I love being near the water and all the different shades of colors, lights, reflections, various scenes, sights across the river. We did get a little rain in both directions at about where the river crosses the Coastal Range (they too provide a bit of a rain shadow--where clouds and moisture come off the ocean and meet the mountains and let off some of their moisture before heading farther inland and eastward). And these are places that ONLY the train goes--no cars; Highway 30 most often is routed inland.

Next Monday is the last run for the season, but they are planning to run the train again next year for the 200th anniversary of the Lewis and Clark Expedition (the Expedition spent the Winter of 1805-06 near present-day Astoria). The roundtrip fare from Portland is $58. You can go by train one way and then take a bus or boat back, and you don't have to come back on the same day. Many people are going to Astoria on the train and spending the night (or nights) there. So, if you can take this trip, I suggest you do so. Next year will be the last season this train will operate. Before last summer, this line had not seen regular passenger train service since 1952!!!

Because the short-line operator of the train could not get permission from BNSF, and the insurance premium required was too burdensome for ODOT to consider.

Today, September 20, is the last day of operation of the L&C train for the Summer 2004 season, however the train will operate next year during the summer months of 2005. The train will most likely travel the same schedule and same days of operation as this year: Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday; leaving Linnton at 7:50am, arriving Astoria at 11:50am; returning from Astoria at 4:45pm and arriving at Linnton at 8:50pm. The railfare this year was $58 roundtrip ($27 each way). It will probably be that amount (or close to it next year). You don't have to ride the train both ways and you don't have to come back the same say. You can stay overnight(s) at various hotels, although you do have to keep in mind the days of operation of the train. You can also take a jet boat to/from Portland to/from Astoria. There is also Amtrak's Thruway bus connection that you can also use. Keep in mind, though, that it is only the train (and boat) that allows you to get up close to the Columbia River for large segments of the route. Highway #30 goes inland for much of the way; Thruway buses use the Sunset Highway (#26) to the coast and then up to Astoria. Also, the departure time from Portland is 6:30pm, making most, if not the entire journey (during the winter months) in darkness--not ideal for sightseeing (though it is a morning departure from Astoria coming back).

After next summer, the train will no longer run. This is an extremely rare train ride on a route that (until last summer) has not seen regular passenger train service (freight service is officially out for the last 30 or so miles of track) since 1952. So if you can, be sure to take advantage of this opportunity.

I was in Astoria last Saturday and here are a couple of pictures of the train. The weather was terrible while we were there.

lc01.jpg

lc02.jpg

Weather anywhere in the Pacific Northwest has the reputation of being fickle any time of year but especially as the seasons change. Even in poor weather, there can be some nice scenes and ways to see them--especially while traveling. I was expecting rainy weather and was prepared to deal with it. Fortunately, I had pretty nice weather--with a little rain in places. I got some great pictures and enjoyed myself immensely. Actually, it would be interesting to be in Astoria during some its renowned storms. That is another thing the Oregon Coast is known for and one of its reasons for being there (to guide ships in and out of the Bar and river during inclement weather--not just in good weather). I also had fun riding the trolley. More later.

Here are some photos (click link) I took of the train and scenery along the way from Portland to Astoria, Oregon. I'll add formatting and more information later on, but for now you can at least see the photos. Enjoy! Train to Astoria

Along with the Lewis and Clark Explorer train, the Astoria (Oregon)Waterfront Trolley offers railfans and trolley fans the chance to relive the "olden days." It also offers a pleasant way to enjoy the scenic beauty of Astoria's waterfront--the Columbia River, the Astoria-Megler Bridge (at least 4.1 miles long), old docks and wharves, and other sites. The trolley usually meets the L&C train. Here are some photos of the trolley and other scenic vistas along the waterfront. Enjoy! Astoria Waterfront Trolley

Don't forget to review the scenes along the Lewis and Clark Explorer route along the Columbia River. Train to Astoria. The train will be running next summer.

I have a new Web site/page up for the Lewis and Clark Explorer Train. You can access it at:

The Lewis and Clark Explorer Train

The train will once again be running Friday-Monday from June 3 to October 3, 2005 on a route that has rarely seen passenger trains since 1952. There are presently no plans to run the train after next summer. So, if you can, make your plans now. The tickets can be purchased through Amtrak.

Back