lighting?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flying_babyb

Train Attendant
I'm a late night paperback reader when I cant sleep. Hows the lighting on the top bunk? Im used to reading in semi low light. Also is there a outlet up there? I tend to do podcasts too

I'm a late night paperback reader when I cant sleep. Hows the lighting on the top bunk? Im used to reading in semi low light. Also is there a outlet up there? I tend to do podcasts too
There's only one outlet, so you should take an extension cord or power strip. I believe there's a light for the person on the top bunk.

The upper bunk has a reading light. Here's a picture of the Superliner version that I took during a trip in 2012:

15996_10100699932821114_520331106_n.jpg

The light isn't really that bright in the "coffin". I use a small flashlight to read when I sleep in the top bunk on a Superliner.YMMV
thanks! guess Im buying a book light! any suggestions about a good light??

Last edited by a moderator:
On a viewliner the light on the upper bunk is definitely bright enough in my experience.

I have not tried to read in the upper bunk, but I would be worried about the angle of the light and the confined space. Whether the light is bright enough or not, I have doubts that it would be useful for reading. Also, I'm not sure I could hold a book comfortably even if there was sufficient light on the page. It is cramped up there.

I always carry a book light that uses a AAA battery, so carrying and/or buying replacements is easy. I do not see a name on mine, but I bought it at Wal-Mart. on sale for 9.99 a couple years ago. It has three brightness settings and an adjustable neck. It slides onto the cover of the paperback. If reading a hardback, I have a thin piece of cardboard to attach the light to. I use it in the upper and lower bunks and sometimes in the winter when it gets dark early (I like to look outside, so I turn the light off behind me).

What is the head room in the top bunk like if im sitting on my butt on the bed, how much space do I got before I give myself a head injury?

What is the head room in the top bunk like if im sitting on my butt on the bed, how much space do I got before I give myself a head injury?
You really can't sit on the upper bunk. Just enough headroom to climb in and climb out. Which is why many call it a coffin bed.

I think the head room and reading light on Viewliner equipment is more than adequate and you can leave your window curtain open for some after-hours sight seeing. Any brighter and it would disturb whoever is sleeping below.

We've only done family bedroom on Superliner equipment and, while the reading light is plenty bright, the head room is just enough to not feel like you could wipe a booger on the ceiling w/o using your hands, but not so much that if you wake up to use the bathroom you won't clean your clock on the way down the ladder. I'm 5'5.5" on a good day and I've never yet rolled into a city after a Superliner trip w/o a womp on the noggin.

Either way, I'm perfectly happy in the upper bunks (my prince of 6-year-olds sleeps down below) and I'd skip the reading light in favor of a flask or a double backup pair of socks in the carry-on. Both is better. Everything and anything is possible w/ the appropriate combination of whiskey and dry feet.

From a friend. He had cataracts and needed extra lighting. When cataracts removed no longer needed the extra lighting. So you have to determine your own needs.

Suggestion along a different line: consider an e-reader with an integrated light. E-paper is no different than actual paper as eye-strain goes, and the best readers (Kobo) have the light around the edge and angled ever so slightly down toward the screen so it's not shining at you - just giving you light to read by.

The E-Reader is great, I always carry one, but I also have quite a number of books in paper back that I prefer to read as such since I want to highlight and make notes, and though you can do this on the E-readers, it is not easy to hand to a friend to review. So I do both.

The upper on the Superliners, which ALL of my granddaughters love and insist on when we travel together, is only comfortable reclined, unless you are my youngest granddaughter, nine, who can sit up. Me, I prefer the lower because I love looking outside day and night while I am reading.

I am 6' 175 and the top bunk is very claustrophobic for me, But She Who Must Be Obeyed always gets the lower. I am just happy as a clam when I can make the two trips up and down during the evening,,, I brought the Kindle up with me once and couldn't find a decent position to try and read it in the stairway to heaven. If you can you are a much better man than I. good luck

The first big question is whether the train you will be travelling on uses Viewliner or Superliner sleepers. The upper bunk "experience" is quite different in the two equipment types as you can see from the direction of the answers.

I brought the Kindle up with me once and couldn't find a decent position to try and read it in the stairway to heaven.
That's what I was trying to say. It wouldn't matter if I had a paper book or an e-reader, I would not be able to find a configuration of my body that would be comfortable for reading.
As others have noted, this applies to the upper bunk of a Superliner. The upper bunk of a Viewliner provides significantly more room.

I remember seeing a diagram with the dimensions of the upper and lower berths but can't remember where I saw it. I just checked the Amtrak.com site, under "Sleeping Accommodations" but the dimensions are not listed there.

Perhaps an AU member might know?? So many of you are so knowledgeable about equipment details. I'd like to see the dimensions again myself, as I have a trip upcoming where I will have a travel partner joining me mid-trip and one of us will be in the upper berth. I've never slept in the upper berth myself as I just use it for storage en route but it does look very "cozy and snug"..............

Even the spots that list dimensions list them for the bed itself, not the headroom. Also, in the VL the upper row of windows and the better lighting and ventilation add to the improved experience, even if the actual bedsize is almost identical.

"You could wipe a booger on the ceiling w/o using your hands." Gack. I can't unsee that.

I remember seeing a diagram with the dimensions of the upper and lower berths but can't remember where I saw it. I just checked the Amtrak.com site, under "Sleeping Accommodations" but the dimensions are not listed there.

Perhaps an AU member might know?? So many of you are so knowledgeable about equipment details. I'd like to see the dimensions again myself, as I have a trip upcoming where I will have a travel partner joining me mid-trip and one of us will be in the upper berth. I've never slept in the upper berth myself as I just use it for storage en route but it does look very "cozy and snug"..............
Amtrak released these drawings ages ago, they haven't really changed, but don't include vertical dimensions.

Roomette.jpg

They used to be found in the National Timetable book; I don't have the latest version of the book yet so can't say if it's still in there.

peter

Edit: Here is the rest of the rooms: http://trainweb.org/railworld/Amtrak/

I was referring to a Superliner config. I don't think I have had a Viewliner sleeper since the 80's,,,, but than I have trouble remember yesterday in any great detail

The E-Reader is great, I always carry one, but I also have quite a number of books in paper back that I prefer to read as such since I want to highlight and make notes, and though you can do this on the E-readers, it is not easy to hand to a friend to review. So I do both.

The upper on the Superliners, which ALL of my granddaughters love and insist on when we travel together, is only comfortable reclined, unless you are my youngest granddaughter, nine, who can sit up. Me, I prefer the lower because I love looking outside day and night while I am reading.
i have a e reader but have found many of the books by my favorite authors are cheaper used in paperback then for the e reader.

How tall is your grandaughter? Im really short!

i have a e reader but have found many of the books by my favorite authors are cheaper used in paperback then for the e reader.

How tall is your grandaughter? Im really short!
Can you borrow eBooks from your library? That's what I do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back