Lights in Coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cav1865

Train Attendant
Again, I'm new to Amtrak. Are the lights in coach dimmed at night to help with sleeping in coach?

Thank-you in advance for your replies.

Yes, but there are still blue or white emergency lights on the ceiling that may be annoying to a passenger in the aisle seat who is reclined far enough back to be looking at the ceiling. I suggest bringing some eye blinders, often found for free on international flights or perhaps at your local drug store. :)

Yes, but there are still blue or white emergency lights on the ceiling that may be annoying to a passenger in the aisle seat who is reclined far enough back to be looking at the ceiling. I suggest bringing some eye blinders, often found for free on international flights or perhaps at your local drug store. :)
I think someone here mentioned that they bring some sort of paper (maybe it was playing cards?) to slide in that light and block it--it made them friends with everyone in the car (kind of like bringing a power strip). Of course, eye blinders aren't as much of a violation of FRA safety regulations or anything... ;)

I think someone here mentioned that they bring some sort of paper (maybe it was playing cards?) to slide in that light and block it--it made them friends with everyone in the car (kind of like bringing a power strip). Of course, eye blinders aren't as much of a violation of FRA safety regulations or anything... ;)
AH HA,

I just so happen to be my own sales rep, for my own invention--------

Eye Patches you just velcro to your eyebrows! :lol:

Anyone who patents this OMBT (owes me big time) !!!!!!!!!!!

:p

AH HA,

I just so happen to be my own sales rep, for my own invention--------

Do you also sell the one-piece models that cover both eyes for people with unibrows? :lol:

I've seen Amtrak car attendants cover those lights with seat-checks, which always struck me as quite clever. It only dims and diffuses the light, while still leaving just enough light to see well enough while walking down the aisle. I'm assuming that if Amtrak crew are doing it, it's not against regulations; but just the same, it's not something I'd do myself (though I would ask a car attendant if they'd do it, if the light were bothering me).

AH HA,I just so happen to be my own sales rep, for my own invention--------

Hmm.... I know plenty of people with permanent blinders.... :)

I've seen Amtrak car attendants cover those lights with seat-checks, which always struck me as quite clever. It only dims and diffuses the light, while still leaving just enough light to see well enough while walking down the aisle. I'm assuming that if Amtrak crew are doing it, it's not against regulations; but just the same, it's not something I'd do myself (though I would ask a car attendant if they'd do it, if the light were bothering me).
That practice mentioned above IS against FRA safety regulations! Now the likelyhood of getting in trouble is fairly low, but none-the-less it is still against FRA regulations. And I am sure there is some sort of rule present in the Amtrak OBS/T&E service standards manual prohibiting it as well (probably in the form of modifying safety equipment from its intended purpose)! There is some kind of rule for everything out on the railroad, and if there isn't at some point it will be written!!!! :lol: :p :blink:

OBS gone freight...

A couple of tips to help you out - on a Superliner, the lights are very bright in the center of the car near the stairwell so you may want to avoid that area if you can. But you also probably don't want to be right near the doors on the ends either because they can be loud when people pass between cars at night (or they might be stuck open). So for overnight coach trips, I always aim for a seat between the stairs and the doors.

A couple of tips to help you out - on a Superliner, the lights are very bright in the center of the car near the stairwell so you may want to avoid that area if you can. But you also probably don't want to be right near the doors on the ends either because they can be loud when people pass between cars at night (or they might be stuck open). So for overnight coach trips, I always aim for a seat between the stairs and the doors.
Good call. It's not just a matter of the doors opening and slamming shut. The problem is that while the doors are open, there's a great racket that comes into the end of the car from the tracks and trucks just below - which that accordian thing between the cars does nothing to shield. This is compounded by the fact that the doors are always held open for something like ten seconds after someone hits the button. You don't even notice it by day, but at night when it's quiet it's really irritating!

Of course I'm just stating the obvious for most everyone who's ever been overnight on a train in coach.

Its probably against the rules, but I doubt it will ever be enforced unless someone trips in the dark and starts screaming "LAWYER!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back