Lincoln Service at 110 mph

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I booked this trip two weeks ago around the time I read that the spreads had been increased to 110 mph on this route. I followed my normal routine of driving to the White Palace restaurant at the intersection of Roosevelt and Canal. The food is reliably good. Arriving at 6 a.m. usually ensures an interesting cross section of customers finishing off the Saturday night party routine. Today, I was looking for my waitress to get my check. It was 6:30 and I was ready to head to Union Station. I went up to the cash register and the manager was there. He knows me , but was acting distracted. I explained that I had a train to catch. One of the other waitresses went to the door and called my waitress who was outside watching a fight. Two guys were rolling around on the ground.

The waitress came in and gave me my check. I paid and left. Union Station is set up differently. The seating near the gates is no longer being used. Passengers are instructed to wait in the wait hall. I was not aware of this change, and I was lucky that the lady controlling the access to the south concourse let me just wait by the passage way near the bathrooms. She sent several other passengers back to the great hall. I think she recognized me from our positive interactions in the metropolitan lounge. Boarding commenced in a few minutes and I was pleased to discover a venture coach in front of the BC class/shack car which was brining up the markers. I got a nice full window on the right so I could enjoy passing the cars on I55 at 110 mph. Even better, the windows were immaculate. The bathroom was also in immaculate condition. Everything was working.

We took a 15 minute delay at the junction just west of Summit. This will give us an opportunity to see if UP and Amtrak can use the 110 mph running to make up the time.

We arrived St. Louis a few minutes early. They used the door of the cafe car to let us off.

If you are getting on or off amfleet equipment be careful using the handrail. It's attached to the trap. I was holding on to it as I got off 301 and the latch holding the trap was loose and I pulled it out of the latch. I stumbled and was very lucky not fall.

We arrived St. Louis a few minutes early. They used the door of the cafe car to let us off.

If you are getting on or off amfleet equipment be careful using the handrail. It's attached to the trap. I was holding on to it as I got off 301 and the latch holding the trap was loose and I pulled it out of the latch. I stumbled and was very lucky not fall.

We departed Jolliet 20 minutes late. I went back to purchase a coke. I was shocked to discover it was not open. The conductor started to turn me away. Then motioned me to step up to the counter. I purchased my coke. The announcement that the snack car was opened was made after departing Joliet. This is not acceptable.
"Hours of Service – Short Distance Trains Cafe/Lounge Cars operating on short distance trains (500 miles or less) must be open continuously from initial terminal to final destination or “bumper to bumper” except for NEC trains operating between Boston and Washington, San Joaquin, Capitol Corridor and Pacific Surfliner trains."

For this and other entertaining fantasies, refer to the Amtrak Service Standards, Effective 12:01 am April 10, 2023.

Available for download in the FOIA section of Amtrak.com.

Last edited:
Back