live departure boards

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Is there anywhere on the web wher i can see if a train has left on time-----------like airports do? Thanks

Hi, Is there anywhere on the web wher i can see if a train has left on time-----------like airports do? Thanks
amtrak.com has a train tracking feature, which can be used not only to watch a train's progress, but also determine its anticipated arrival and departure times at given stations. It helps to enter the station codes, which are just a click away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for info.I am interested in 29 capitol washington dc to chicago. Ive looked at train status but cant see how you can track train from it?

Thanks for info.I am interested in 29 capitol washington dc to chicago. Ive looked at train status but cant see how you can track train from it?
"Departed On Time", 4:05 PM on Thursday, July 10, 2008.

I entered "29" for Train Number and "WAS" for "Departs" (Station).

Funny, now trying it again they say, "Departed 2 Minutes Late, 4:07 PM."

I guess they changed their minds. But evidently they are now underway in any case.

You could enter the Station Name or Station Code for anywhere along the Route, and get the estimated (if not yet) or actual (if already) time of Arrival or Departure at any of them, for dates near Today (give or take a few days).

I've found amtrakdelays.com (a site which is not run by Amtrak) quite useful in estimating real world performance.

Be aware that if you're trying to figure out when to get to a station to board, trains sometimes do manage to complete segments in less time than the schedule might suggest; there tends to be some padding in the schedule; showing up at the estimated time for a delayed train can lead to missing the train, since if they make up time, the only rule is that they can't depart before the scheduled departure time (in practice, they might depart a minute or two before your clock suggests the scheduled time has been reached).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back