Loco #s After Accidents; Missing Locos/UP Locos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NS #7100 was originally #7117, but was wrecked and renumbered to #7100 because it was requested by the dead crew member's relatives.

However, I've looked everywhere for sites about the accident, but couldn't find anything.

I know it occurred in July 1998, but where did this accident occur? And was this a derailment, collision, etc.? I'm still unable to find any sites or pictures about this accident.

So I couldn't find an NTSB report for any NS-related fatal incidents happening in July of 1998. However I did find other websites saying that it was in 1998 that the locomotive was renumbered; which would indicate to me that the incident happened a few years before that (presume a year for the NTSB investigation, and a few months of the locomotive operating under the #7117 before the request.) A cursory glance over the incident reports I didn't see anything in 1997; but I didn't look in 1996 or earlier.

peter

Edit: Feel free to look for yourself: http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/railroad.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it me, or is that some kind of superstitious nonsense?
It could be superstition or it could be overwhelmed emotions leading to irrational demands. Sometimes when life seems unfair people respond to adversity by pursuing unrelated changes that have little if anything to do with correcting an actual problem but everything to do with giving emotionally fragile people a sense of purpose and accomplishment. Unless the number somehow led to the accident by virtue of being difficult to read or easy to confuse I don't see why it should be retired in any logical sense. On the other hand it seems like a relatively minor change to help a grieving family accept their loss.

Airlines are known to retire flight numbers of flights involved in accidents. If planes are recovered from an incident typically their registration number does not change. And of course if it crashes and is taken off the roster typically the registration number is not reused for a considerable amount of time.
I completely understand changing numbers for passenger flights that have experienced substantial loss of life. Millions of potential customers are shockingly superstitious, amazingly unaware of statistically relevant threats, and just plain irrational about flying in general. That being said, I've never seen or heard of anyone making a fuss over the registration of a cargo aircraft, which would seem to be the closest equivalent to the situation described by the OP.

I have two dying relatives to think about, especially with surgeries taking place, I have other business to take care of, most of the time I'm alone handling it, the amount of stress of those said things are literally killing me.

Apparently, this hobby and information that I last saw months ago is a lot more important to some then taking care of family and business. Reminds me of what an older fan once said, you deal with fans in this community and you get burned.

If you guys can't look for the information on your own, then don't respond to my posts again. I'm falling apart from enough things as it is, I'm not looking for something that I saw months ago out of random. Even then, I very likely deleted it since I delete all my history.

While I am sympathetic for you and your situation. You need to listen to someone who is on the industry. I have been working for NS for a year. And locomotives are going into storage due to the lack of work. 6 months ago they didn't have enough. Today it's the other way around. They have to many. If you don't want to believe me. Then that's your issue.

While I am sympathetic for you and your situation. You need to listen to someone who is on the industry. I have been working for NS for a year. And locomotives are going into storage due to the lack of work. 6 months ago they didn't have enough. Today it's the other way around. They have to many. If you don't want to believe me. Then that's your issue.
I believe you and the thing is, I didn't know they were going into storage until recently. 6 months ago was around the time I heard about the locomotive shortage. The freight recession thread I saw furthermore proves that the railroads have surplus locomotives.

When did UP 6936, UP's only active DDA40X, last operate? I haven't seen any recent videos of it in operation by itself.

Also is there anything any of us could possibly find of when that loco will run again at a certain time, like the date of when it will?

I have heard unconfirmed rumors that it is being brought up to SD70ACE standards for both engine blocks, and will be running tests to see if a double engined locomotive is feasible today.

It is claimed to be used as a test bed, and EMD will be watching closely.

There are two UP GTEL's that are surviving in museums. Both are 8500-HP. The two survivors are #18 and #26.

How would any of you like to see UP add one of those beasts to its heritage fleet and have them in operation again, whether it's hauling freight or running on excursions?

HUH? WHAT'S THE QUESTION AGAIN? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE ROAR OF THOSE DAMN TURBINES.
Lol. But yeah. They sure were loud.
On the other hand it would sure make for one heck of a candid camera moment if an Amtrak train pulled into a major station with one of those things running full blast.
Indeed it would, or maybe even sitting near a freight yard and seeing a freight train coming in with one of those beasts at full throttle!

These units have been cold and out of use for a long time now.

In contrast to steam locomotives, where working knowledge and experience has been kept alive by tourist and heritage operations, I don't think there are many people around who would even have a clue what to do with these machines, let alone restore one to full working order and then operate it.

I fear they will never run again.

Back