Long Distance (LD) fleet replacement RFP discussion 2024 H1

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MODERATOR'S NOTE: About a dozen posts on ideas about future Amtrak equipment and not about the current RFP have been moved to a thread more appropriate for such:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/future-amtrak-equipment-and-ada-ideas.83324/

Please continue discussion of future ideas about Amtrak equipment in the thread referred to above and leave this thread for discussion directly related to the RFP.

Thank you for your understanding, participation and cooperation.

As expected, the Stadler people seemed coy about Amtrak. I hope we get news on a preferred vendor sometime this fall. I'd love for sooner news, but this is a big order, they need to take their time.

Does anyone know if the bid window was extended past may?

For a lack of anything interesting happening with regards to this topic I submitted a FOIA to get a list of the companies who received the RFP:

theamtral.jpg
6 Car Builders received the solicitation on 12/22/2023. Alstom, Hitachi, Siemens, CAF, Kawasaki and Stadler. These Car Builders were those that not only were qualified, but interested.

Last edited:
For a lack of anything interesting happening with regards to this topic I submitted a FOIA to get a list of the companies who received the RFP:

View attachment 36868

Thanks for this.

I bet the likely hood (from greatest to least likely to receive the contract) are Siemens, Alstom, Stadler, Kawasaki, Hitachi, and CAF.

But also remember that Siemens is extremely busy with the AIRO order, so maybe they won't win this contract.

I would expect Alstom to have a tougher time given their recent performance, compared to Stadler executing several EMU and DMU orders relatively smoothly.
Regardless of their performance elsewhere, companies always seem to suffer major delays when it comes to delivering equipment for Amtrak. Even though Stadler may be proficient delivering EMU’s and DMU’s to commuter outfits recent history tells us any Amtrak order they take will be majorly delayed.

Regardless of their performance elsewhere, companies always seem to suffer major delays when it comes to delivering equipment for Amtrak. Even though Stadler may be proficient delivering EMU’s and DMU’s to commuter outfits recent history tells us any Amtrak order they take will be majorly delayed.
I think that's to be expected, considering the uniqueness and level of detail of the specs.

Something I did hear a lot at Stadler was that a factory expansion is imminent. They plan to build a second production hall and an aluminum carshell welding facility. If they were to win the Amtrak order they'd also have to build a dedicated facility for steel carshells, or contract the work out to a third-party. It would be interesting to see a company who is defined by aluminum trains worldwide take the largest order for steel cars in several decades.

Who do you folks think is more likely to win this contract: Siemens or Stadler? And why?
Siemens has major capacity limitations and I can see amtrak wanting to diversify their fleet some, if the LD fleet was to use a modified venture truck and an issue was found in both having to pull their entire fleet for weeks or months would be bad.

Siemens has major capacity limitations and I can see amtrak wanting to diversify their fleet some, if the LD fleet was to use a modified venture truck and an issue was found in both having to pull their entire fleet for weeks or months would be bad.
This makes sense. In addition, Siemens already have enough orders to keep them busy for a very long time despite some planned factory increases. No manufacturer is likely to undertake permanent capacity expansion for an uncertain North American market that could quickly be finite at the whim of governments.

The search for bi-level equipment might logically favor manufacturers who have delivered previously to the North American market - including commuter stock. They're included on the FOI list, and don't rule out Alstom despite their recent struggles. It's important to remember that the hierarchy for their high-speed products and North American bi-level equipment is quite separate and their impact in the market is significant, including Superliner II's.

Back