Long Distance Route Cost Differences

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
Last fall my wife and I had what was then a deluxe bedroon, now bedroom, on the Empire Builder from Chicago to Seattle, and then a Cascade down to Portland, total cost about $650 for both of us, one way.

She enjoyed the trip so much we thought we'd try another one this coming fall. I am thinking of Sacramento to Chicago one way. I have frequent flyer miles for the other half I need to use before they expire.

I just priced the bedroom for us in September and it was over $1000.

Have the prices gone up that much? Is it the route that makes the difference?

Anyone else noticing price increases of this magnitude?

I could get a roomette for about $600 with my senior discount making it about the same as last year.

Just wondering what the thought is about this.

I am taking the Cardinal from NYP to IND next Friday/Saturday so if anyone else is on that train, let me know.

Tom

You could go chi-portland on the empire builder then down to Sacramento.

The Empire builder has the cheapest rooms of any long distance train. CHI-PDX the roomette can be as low as $122 extra and the full bedroom $222 extra...its a real steal. Plus going from Portland to Sacramento you would ride the coast starlight which is Amtraks best train in my opinion and the only one with th Pacific palour first class lounge. Just an idea

You could go chi-portland on the empire builder then down to Sacramento.
Since we rode the Builder last year I wanted ro go East bound this time and I've heard the CZ is a great scenery train going East.

Wonder why the proces are so different for about the same distance??

The best bargain to me is the Sunset Limited. $210 from Jax to Lax for the roomette. That includes three nights and three dinners plus two breakfasts and two lunches. I m paying $152 for the EB from Pdx to Chi I don t think Ive seen it any lower. Are there any AARP discounts on the sleepers?.

I have a nice trip planned for late August..NYP to Jax using Guest reward points, sleeper from Jax to Lax,thruway bus to Bakersfield,San Juaquin to Oakland, coach on the Starlight to Pdx,connecting to the EB with a sleeper,coach from Chi to NYP on the LS Limited. Can't wait!

The best bargain to me is the Sunset Limited. $210 from Jax to Lax for the roomette. That includes three nights and three dinners plus two breakfasts and two lunches. I m paying $152 for the EB from Pdx to Chi I don t think Ive seen it any lower. Are there any AARP discounts on the sleepers?.

I have a nice trip planned for late August..NYP to Jax using Guest reward points, sleeper from Jax to Lax,thruway bus to Bakersfield,San Juaquin to Oakland, coach on the Starlight to Pdx,connecting to the EB with a sleeper,coach from Chi to NYP on the LS Limited. Can't wait!

Rick said:
Are there any AARP discounts on the sleepers?.
Not on the sleeper or accomodation price. Only on the railfare portion of the price, assuming that you meet Amtrak's definition of a Senior Citizen, which is not the same as AARP's definition.

MrFSS said:
Have the prices gone up that much? Is it the route that makes the difference?
Anyone else noticing price increases of this magnitude?
Tom,

Amtrak prices by route and it's popularity, along with what day of the week you are departing, and the time of year. Additionally as the train fills up and sleepers sell out, the price rises too.

The Empire is one of Amtrak's better bargins, but if you can vary your travel dates, I would suggest pricing a few days on either side of your intended travel date. You may get a better price.

Good luck! :)

Amtrak prices by route and it's popularity, along with what day of the week you are departing, and the time of year. Additionally as the train fills up and sleepers sell out, the price rises too.
Sort of like the airlines, I guess <_<

Back