Long Distance Train Comfort Opinions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would feel pretty guilty, taking the room for the Handicapped.

For LD travel, I like a roomette. The right balance of cost vs. comfort.
I believe Amtrak puts the handicap rooms up for sell to the general public 2 weeks before travel date only IF all the bedrooms are sold out.
Also, the majority of LD trains I've been on, the H room has only been occupied part of the time I've been on the train, or not at all. In fact, the majority of times, I notice that the door has been jammed shut with a coat hanger when or shortly after I've boarded. I've never tried to snag it for myself, but I think the major reason it goes unsold is because no one knows about it (assuming it hasn't been blocked for sale).

EDIT: I would also note, as a one-time hotel employee, that the general able-bodied public is loathe to be placed in a handicapped room. It's like a personal insult or something. I've never minded it, and in fact, in hotels where the room configurations are tight, actually prefer it, since there is much more room than a regular room. But I've had front desk personnel warily inform me that I've been pre-assigned to a handicapped room and ask if that's okay. There's a visible sigh of relief when I explain to them my position. So I know the attitude still persists, many years after my own personal experience in their job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would feel pretty guilty, taking the room for the Handicapped.

For LD travel, I like a roomette. The right balance of cost vs. comfort.
I believe Amtrak puts the handicap rooms up for sell to the general public 2 weeks before travel date only IF all the bedrooms are sold out.
Also, the majority of LD trains I've been on, the H room has only been occupied part of the time I've been on the train, or not at all. In fact, the majority of times, I notice that the door has been jammed shut with a coat hanger when or shortly after I've boarded. I've never tried to snag it for myself, but I think the major reason it goes unsold is because no one knows about it (assuming it hasn't been blocked for sale).

EDIT: I would also note, as a one-time hotel employee, that the general able-bodied public is loathe to be placed in a handicapped room. It's like a personal insult or something. I've never minded it, and in fact, in hotels where the room configurations are tight, actually prefer it, since there is much more room than a regular room. But I've had front desk personnel warily inform me that I've been pre-assigned to a handicapped room and ask if that's okay. There's a visible sigh of relief when I explain to them my position. So I know the attitude still persists, many years after my own personal experience in their job.
When its available for anyone, it shows up as the "bedroom" option.

If the H room was unsold and released for sale I wouldn't have a problem with taking it, but if I saw someone on the train who looked they could use it and didn't get it because they didn't know about it, or made last minute plans due to an emergency I would offer to swap.

If money is no object bigger is better. Roomettes do great for my wife and I as long as I sleep in the top bed which is alright with me although at times I have felt like the train left the tracks, but always before I bail out it lurches back and I settle down and go back to sleep. A roomette gives you privacy and is comfortable just sitting and watching the terrain slide by.

One thing I would mention, you have to give it a little time to adjust to the size. Not enough room to dance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back