Long-distance trip disruption summaries

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given all the horror stories we hear about long-distance trains being cancelled or arriving more than 6-8 hours late, would it be possible to use the various tracker databases to generate a summary of each long-distance train's recent history of cancellations or other disruptions? It sure seems like deciding to use a long-distance train is a bit of a crap shoot as to whether you'll actually be able to take the trip, but I suspect that the services are more reliable than that. On the other hand, one can't be sure without data. I know I've seen some data on one of the status sites that indicated that large delays tend to come in bunches, and that in between, the service is reliable. Of course, there are all kinds of reasons for the delays and cancellations beyond the control of Amtrak, such as hurricanes, freight derailments, wildfires, bridges falling down, cliffs falling into the sea, etc.

Back