Long term parking at Galsesburg Illinois station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill

We are planning a two week trip to Los Angeles from Galesburg. Is the long term parking available and is it safe to leave our car?

There are 30 long-term parking spots available, and Galesburg is a small town. I would not have any safety concerns.

The Amtrak website says there is no parking attendant, and I don't see any kind of booth or pay box on Google Maps, so I would imagine the parking is free.

Go to Google Earth and enter GBB: you'll get a nice bird's-eye view of the station and everything else surrounding it. County Sheriff's only a block away. On Google Earth I see three parking lots with maybe 100 or so total spaces. If nobody chimes in with more, just call the station.

Galesburg is a staffed station with checked baggage for the LD Trains ( #5/#6/#3/#4) plus the 4 Daily Illinois Trains ( #380/381/#382/#383) plus the station is in the middle of downtown with an upscale restaurant across the street so should be safe! I've talked with several people on LD Trains who park there long term on Amtrak trips and have heard of no problems!

Galesburg is a neat little town with an interesting history, you might want to Google it up and see if f there's anything that appeals to you if you get there early and have some time to kill! ( there is a rail museum next to the Station with neat equipment you can walk through that is closed in the winter!)

I would talk to the attendants when you get to the station, possibly they will let the local cops know you're car will be there for Two weeks!

Per usual percautions, don't leave any thing out in plain sight in the car!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll have my car parked 2 weeks in the Ottumwa station long term parking, and am not worried to do so.

I also plan to check in with the station staff and let them know my car will be there that long.

But.

I can't remember a time my car has sat idle that long without being driven.

So I got to wondering if I need to worry about my car battery being low and not being able to start the car when I get back?

I'll have my car parked 2 weeks in the Ottumwa station long term parking, and am not worried to do so.

I also plan to check in with the station staff and let them know my car will be there that long.

But.

I can't remember a time my car has sat idle that long without being driven.

So I got to wondering if I need to worry about my car battery being low and not being able to start the car when I get back?
Traveled to Europe for about half a month last year and my car didn't blow up (rode a lot of trains in the process too, but I digress). You'll be fine.

Make sure you check out the town, Carl Sandburg land. I leave my car there long term all the team. It might as well be in your driveway. As for vehicle, I can't say. I leave vehicles for weeks at a time, and if you have jumper cables I don't think you would need anything else to be a good boy scout.

If the parking circle in front of the station is full, there are 2 overflow lots. I believe one is across the street to the right past the RR museum. The other may be around the corner to the left.

I just got back from a 5 week trip with no problems.

In winter I do come equipped with a battery charger and extra long extension cord, which came in handy when I returned to FMD last year in late January after a month in warmer climes.

Yep. Winter is a different story.

Last night here in central Iowa it got down to -17, and with wind chill was -32.

So I put a charger on the car to keep the battery from freezing and a heated dipstick in the oil pan to keep the oil warm so I could go into town early this morning.

Heck, right now it's a balmy -4 with -16 for the 'feels like' wind chill with only a 6 mph wind.

Old Main at Knox College, three blocks west of GBB station, is only building remaining that was the site of a Lincoln-Douglas debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back