Longest Train Routes in the World

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Randy

With the Trans-Siberian being the longest route in the world, what is the 2nd longest? Where do the Sunset and Canadian rank?

Randy said:
With the Trans-Siberian being the longest route in the world, what is the 2nd longest? Where do the Sunset and Canadian rank?
My guess would be possible the Indian-Pacific. Thats a transcontinental journey across Austrailia.

The second longest is the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver at 2775 miles vs 2704 on the Indian Pacific. This is according to the kilometers (converted to mileage) as shown on each train system's Web site.

IIRC didn't the Sunset go all the way down to Miami for a while before being cut back to Orlando? wouldn't the milage added onto that route make it at one point the longest in North America then?

efin98 said:
IIRC didn't the Sunset go all the way down to Miami for a while before being cut back to Orlando? wouldn't the milage added onto that route make it at one point the longest in North America then?
It did indeed run to Miami, once upon a time. That would add an extra 265 miles to the run.

I'm not exactly sure about the Trans-Siberian, I think it's over 6,000 if I'm not mistaken. Someone correct me. So now the 2nd longest route in the world is pretty much a tie between the Sunset and the Canadian. 2764 vs. 2775 are pretty much the same considering the distances. Pretty cool to think that the Sunset is the 2nd longest in the world. Hope Amtrak doesn't cut it or split it in NO.

the sunset and canadian may be similiar in length, but what a big difference in scenery and service! The canadian still runs the dome lounge cars, and it has the magnificant park car. And the diners are great, too. A wonderful trip.

The traditional route of the Trans-Siberian (Moscow to Vladivostok) is 9297 km, or 5777 mi. There are a couple other routes that are a bit more recent, such as Moscow to Beijing, but they are a bit shorter (a day or so less on the train, if I'm not mistaken)

While I haven't taken the Sunset (at all) or the Canadian (for more than an overnight each way), I did try the Indian Pacific on its full eastbound run in July. I found the equipment to be strikingly similar to what VIA Rail uses on the Canadian. One of these days I will have to post some of the photos I took onboard :)

I just saw a factoid on the Food Channel that there is a train from Russia to North Korea that is 6346 miles in length. I have no further details.

denmarks said:
I just saw a factoid on the Food Channel that there is a train from Russia to North Korea that is 6346 miles in length. I have no further details.
That seems to check out on a quick Google search. :)

I don't think any of us U.S. citizens will have much luck taking that train any time soon, though :lol:

Thanks for the note :)

I agree that the Sunset Limited is the second longest single train ride in the world (after the Trans-Siberian). After I wrote in this section about the Canadian and the Indian Pacific, I finally found an Amtrak schedule with the Sunset's milage. Until the Sunset (between L.A. and Orlando) is changed, it is the second longest, then the Canadian (between Vancouver and Toronto), then the Indian Pacific Express (between Sydney and Perth, Australia). To me, they all sound like wonderful, adventurous trips.

Back