Looking for advice...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guest_TCRider

I'll be traveling from East to West Coast in the near future. It'd be nice to be able to shower and get one decent night's sleep on the 3-night trip over. Anyone have advice on the most economical way to do that?

Where on the east coast, and where on the west coast? That would affect how to answer your question.

Guest_TCRider said:
I'll be traveling from East to West Coast in the near future.  It'd be nice to be able to shower and get one decent night's sleep on the 3-night trip over.  Anyone have advice on the most economical way to do that?
Drive and sleep in your car at campgrounds with free showers.

My standard suggestion: stay over a night in a hotel in Chicago between arrival of your train from the east and your departure to the west. This stopover serves multiple purposes. First, it eliminates any issues with missed connections due to late trains. If your train from the east is late: who cares. Second: it affords you the opportunity to enjoy some time in Chicago. And last but not least, it gives you a night in a real bed with a real shower. I have not completely mastered the art of sleeping on a train (even in a bedroom), so having that night off the rails in a room bigger than a closet is a real help.

Yes, PRR 60 has it right. Chicago is worth a night, just to walk around downtown. If it's winter, go warm up in one of the cafes. I'll recommend the Cass Hotel. http://www.casshotel.com/

A block off Michigan, a five dollar taxi ride from Union Station. Safe, comfy.

The Cass is a decent hotel with a decent price for downtown Chicago, just don't expect anything fancy. Several OTOL members stayed at this hotel for the Windy City Rail Fest in 2003. Back then a continental breakfast was included in the price. You can find a few comments about the hotel in the report located here

That said however, consider that overnighting in Chicago will not only cost you the dough for a hotel room, it will also raise the Amtrak fare. One way from NY to LA for example costs $133 without an overnight stopover in Chicago. Adding an overnight in Chicago raises the fare to $203 a 70 buck increase.

The only other option that you'd have, if you don't want to overnight in Chicago, would be to try for an on-board upgrade. If you're traveling during a peak travel time, then you probably won't have much luck with this. However if you're traveling off peak, then you might have better luck.

Once onboard the train, ask the conductor what it might cost to upgrade to a sleeper. You can try this out of NY on the first train, but the odds are better that you'd get a sleeper on the train out of Chicago. The train out of Chicago should also be cheaper.

You can ask what it would cost for two nights, but that might be more than you'd want to pay. I'd try for just the last night of your journey. The conductor might let you upgrade for the first night out of Chicago, but he might not, since that would mean you'd need to come back to coach for the second night out of Chicago.

There is no way to accurately predict what one night would cost, but I'd guess at least $120 or higher. Also consider that getting a sleeper includes meals in the dining car, so that saves you money in the cafe car.

Finally remember that if the train sells out, then you'll have no chance of an upgrade. So if a shower and a good nights sleep is a must, then overnighting in Chicago or buying a room up front on Amtrak may be you're only choices.

Again, it's essential to know where the original poster is going to or from.

If, for example, he's traveling Orlando to Los Angeles, then doing anything in Chicago is out of the question.

"East Coast" and "West Coast" are big places.

In any event, as noted earlier, overnighting in Chicago is not the "most economical way to do that."

Back