Looking for some advice about taking a train trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PRR are you sure, I thought I read somewhere on the net that it was about 3 miles out of Minot on the way in from Minn.

I went back to Amtraks home page in regards to the EmpireBuilder train that goes from Chicago to Minot and this is what's posted.

From Chicago, you'll have magnificent views of the Mississippi and see the glowing night skyline of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Awake the next morning as you cross the vast North Dakota plains and cross over the spectacular Gassman Coulee Trestle.

Am I not reading that right, that you go over the Trestle coming into Minot somewhere along the way?

USAFLady said:
I went back to Amtraks home page in regards to the EmpireBuilder train that goes from Chicago to Minot and this is what's posted.
          From Chicago, you'll have magnificent views of the Mississippi and see the glowing night skyline of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Awake the next morning as you cross the vast North Dakota plains and cross over the spectacular Gassman Coulee Trestle.

Am I not reading that right, that you go over the Trestle coming into Minot somewhere along the way?
You have to take all Amtrak PR literature with a grain of salt. I swear that some of those descriptions are written by people who have never been on a train and have never seen the places they are writing about.

The Gassman Coulee is a small canyon located just west of Minot. Unless Amtrak has moved Minot since the last time I was there, I assure you that you will not cross it between Minnesota and Minot.

Check this TopoZone map. Minot is on the east side of the map. The Gassman Coulee is just about in the center of the map. The route of the Empire Builder is the railroad that comes out of Minot, dips a little to the south, and then heads west (with the label “2 TRACKS”). The trestle is located in the center on the map where the South Branch Coulee and the Gassman Coulee meet.

TopoZone Map

PRR 60 said:
USAFLady said:

You have to take all Amtrak PR literature with a grain of salt. I swear that some of those descriptions are written by people who have never been on a train and have never seen the places they are writing about.

The Gassman Coulee is a small canyon located just west of Minot. Unless Amtrak has moved Minot since the last time I was there, I assure you that you will not cross it between Minnesota and Minot.

Check this TopoZone map. Minot is on the east side of the map. The Gassman Coulee is just about in the center of the map. The route of the Empire Builder is the railroad that comes out of Minot, dips a little to the south, and then heads west (with the label “2 TRACKS”). The trestle is located in the center on the map where the South Branch Coulee and the Gassman Coulee meet.

TopoZone Map
That was a very nice map. Thanks. :)

great menu... thanks, I want to print that off and keep it with me for my trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back