Looking for some advice about taking a train trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kewl... so is there like a menu? or a set menu? can you special order meals like on a plane? I have travelled the world over and wouldn't ever leave the train station unless it was safe.... So has anyone ridden the train from Minn to Minot?

At watering and refueling stops your are welcome to step off, however do not be fooled. These stops only last 15-25 minutes, and stay within the train area and visible by the crew. Passengers have been left behind from going into the station. Your car attendant will usually tell you to hop back on, or you will hear the "All Aboard" call from the conductor and the locomotives will give 2 blasts on the horn (this is all the technical stuff many passengers don't know about).

Here are the menus for Amtrak's Dining Cars. They run a three cycles, so each menu depends on the train and it direction of travel. Meat and potatos ain't a problem on Amtrak and portions are good sizes too. Lounge opens at 6:30am and stays open until midnight. Amtrak does follow state liquor laws, so if you are riding on a Sunday alcohol may only be served at specific times or not at all. B)

Whistler, thanks I'll go read that.....

Amfleet, thanks for the shortcut to menus.....

you guys have been so great helping me with your answers.....

I am so excited about my trip that I can't wait..... it all seems so kewl..... I might even have to make a website for everyone to see my pictures from the trip :D

USAFLady said:
Whistler, thanks I'll go read that.....
Amfleet, thanks for the shortcut to menus.....

you guys have been so great helping me with your answers.....

I am so excited about my trip that I can't wait..... it all seems so kewl..... I might even have to make a website for everyone to see my pictures from the trip :D
If you want to, even right out a little report or keep a journal of events that happen through the day and the trip. This also keeps you busy and gives you a time to reflect. :)

whistler... as it stands now.... I be doing the train.... sounds like such a fun adventure...... thanks for all your help

don't really care about doing the discount thing... rahter know all things firm.... now if someone could just talk to me about the ride from minn to mot..... with pictures

USAFLady said:
don't really care about doing the discount thing... rahter  know all things firm.... now if someone could just talk to me about the ride from minn to mot..... with pictures
If you would like to check out my Website, I have a travelouge about the Empire Builder when I took it.

Click Here to see. Just click on one of the two Empire Builder links. :)

have you done the minn to minot thing? pictures? I went to that other tavelogue.... they woke up in minot.... doesn't help me..... :D

USAFLady said:
have you done the minn to minot thing? pictures? I went to that other tavelogue.... they woke up in minot.... doesn't help me..... :D
Very good point. :lol: Well, I was up till about 3am that night. So I can tell you a good part of the trip. It isnt really open, vast, land. It is more little towns every 20 miles or so. The track is rough. You should expect a few more bumps then usual throughout the night but nothing drastic. There is also quite a bit of freight traffic. So during the night you might hear the rumble of a few freights passing by the windows.

Any other questions?

Sorry no pictures though, since it is dark I figured the pictures would not come out so well.

:)

tell me about the

Gassman Ccoulee Trestle..... that is what I am curious about.... I have a wierd phobia

The trestle itself is very sturdy. I dont know exactly when it was built but it is very nice bridge. Nothing you have to worry about. The train also slows down before crossing.

What do you want to know in particular?

Well, I could not tell you the exact height or length. I would say it is not that long... :p I know that is not very descriptive. I will look around tommorow morning and see if I can find some specs. on it.

USAFLady said:
Amtrak... nice pictures, and web site....
Thank you! :D

I looked for specs. on the bridge and I came up with nothing. But I do know it is a steel gurder bridge and it is VERY sturdy. If any info turns up I will let ya know.

Take care. :)

thanks. hey I looked at those menus.... is that the only food available on the train?

Here is a sample Lounge Car menu. All passengers must pay for these items, including Sleeping Car passengers. :)

SANDWICHESHot Breakfast Sandwich - $3.50

(ham, egg, and cheese)

Premium Sandwich - $5.25

(varies)

Turkey and Cheese - $2.75

Ham and Cheese - $2.75

Barbecue Rib Sandwich - $3.50

Gardenburger - $3.00

White Castle Cheeseburger - $2.50

(2 pack)

David Berg all beef Hot Dog - $2.75

SNACKS

Starkist Tuna Snack Pack - $2.50

Bagel and Cream Cheese - $1.75

(Plain or Cinnamon Raisin)

Sara Lee Danish or Muffin - $1.75

Big Cinnamon Roll - $2.00

Fruit Yogurt - $1.50

Cereal (8oz) with Milk (2%) - $1.75

HOT CUISINE

Home Style Pot Roast - $4.25

Chicken Salsa - $4.25

Chili with Beans - $4.25

Individual Cheese Pizza - $3.00

Campbell's Soup - $1.50

SALADS

Entrée Salad (varies) - $6.25

Side Salad - $1.75

Fruit Salad - $3.75

BEVERAGES

Coffee (Regular or Decaf) - $1.50

Tea (Hot or Herbal) - $1.50

Milk (2%) - $1.50

Chocolate Milk - $1.50

Juice - $1.50

(Orange, Apple, or Cranberry)

Soft Drinks - $1.50

(Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mist)

Iced Tea - $2.00

Bottled Water (500 ML) - $1.75

WINE & SPIRITS

Domestic Beer - $3.50

(Bud or Bud Light)

Premium Beer - $4.25

(Corona, Heineken, or Samuel Adams)

Wine - $4.25

(187 ML Gossamer Bay Cabernet,

Chardonnay, White Zinfandel)

House Brand Cocktails and Liquor - $4.00

Premium Cocktails and Liquor - $5.00

Cordials - $5.75

SWEETS & SUNDRIES

Potato Chips - $1.75

Pretzels - $1.75

Cookies (2 per pack) - $1.50

Assorted Candy - $1.75

Tic Tac Breath Mints - $1.50

Tylenol or Motrin IB - $1.25

Pepcid AC Antacid - $1.25

Batteries (AA 2 pack) - $4.00

Cigarettes - $4.50

SOUVENIRS

Amtrak Playing Cards - $3.00

Amtrak Collector Postcards - $1.75

Amtrak Blanket - $8.00

USAFLady said:
tell me about the Gassman Ccoulee Trestle..... that is what I am curious about.... I have a wierd phobia
The Gassman Coulee is located west of Minot. Coming from the east and getting off at Minot, you will not cross it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back