Los Angeles Metrolink steps up to mitigate the I-10 closing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish they'd use this as an opportunity like on Antalope Valley line in the 90s to expand service and infrastructure even more. The La Verne double track was in final design last year so lets get the Vultures and start construction

existing single track is blank
existing double track is green
Double track in design is blue with light blue being harder than dark blue to construct
Double track that is easy to do in red
Double track that is more difficult in pink
1699904208110.png

Sorry but having a pallet storage yard under the freeway is a time bomb that will go off. The result will be closer of the highway for rebuilding. Why was this allowed?

NYC has car parking under interstate highways, one day there going to be conflagration that will paralyze the city.

I get the high cost of real estate but better risk assessment is needed.

Last edited:
Although the San Bernardino line parallels I-10, the closed part of the freeway is south/west of Union Station -- the extra service isn't for literally bypassing the closure, it's just providing more opportunity for people to use public transit.
I'm aware but there needs to be more capacity on the line, fixing the segments on I-10 will be a challenge but near term everything east of El Monte can be double tracked.
Sorry but having a pallet storage yard under the freeway is a time bomb that will go off. The result will be closer of the highway for rebuilding. Why this was allowed?

NYC has car parking under interstate highways, one day there going to be conflagration that will paralyze the city.

I get the high cost of real estate but better risk assessment is needed.
It wasn't allowed according to a press report this afternoon, the original lease holder was subleasing without approval and was already being taken to court by the state for issues.
The short list of whats allowed (after approval by state and federal officials) is non flammable, non explosive lose goods or working vehicles

caltrans is extremely quick at emergency rebuilding, there isn't anyone to learn from. the plan is 3-5 weeks
The Philly repairs were pretty quick too (as were Atlanta's repairs). One of my friends who lived in California said that Caltrans was quick (as were general road work projects, especially in comparison to Chicago).

Philly: not PennDOT's fault, except for feeder road design.

California: Partially Caltrans's fault for not monitoring uses by sub-leasers.

Georgia: GDOT's fault for not monitoring its own use, or that of a long-time contractor.

NYC had a big plant nursery business under the MNR tracks in upper Manhattan, but kicked them out. Can't recall if there was an incident.

I'm all for using the space below highways and railways (viaducts, etc) effectively, but it's got to be secure and done in such a way to stop flames spreading through compartmentalization and other measures.

Philly: not PennDOT's fault, except for feeder road design.

California: Partially Caltrans's fault for not monitoring uses by sub-leasers.

Georgia: GDOT's fault for not monitoring its own use, or that of a long-time contractor.

NYC had a big plant nursery business under the MNR tracks in upper Manhattan, but kicked them out. Can't recall if there was an incident.
CalTrans did know and were in court. In California, you are supposed to go through specific legal procedures in order to evict someone. Even if they are not paying the agreed rent and even if they are violating other lease terms and even if the violations constitute a safety issue. It will be interesting to see who is accused of the arson that started this fire.

CalTrans did know and were in court. In California, you are supposed to go through specific legal procedures in order to evict someone. Even if they are not paying the agreed rent and even if they are violating other lease terms and even if the violations constitute a safety issue. It will be interesting to see who is accused of the arson that started this fire.
I'm no lawyer, but I would have thought if a situation is in clear violation of obvious safety precautions, there should be a way to force immediate action. This may not amount to an eviction, but may force the tenant to take immediate action to mitigate the hazard.

Eviction is the wrong legal path in such a situation as an eviction can take months to clear all the hurdles and can probably be appealed and challenged to death, maybe dragging it on for years. If the tenant is storing stuff in a dangerous way, eviction should not be the first and foremost concern, but hazard mitigation. In the same way that the authorities can close down with immediate effect say a restaurant that has been found to serve unsanitary food, or take off the road a vehicle that is clearly unsafe. You don't need to initiate eviction procedures for that.

Last edited:
Any figures on ridership? Maybe some pictures as well? A lesson not learned from Atlanta is do not store any flammables under bridges.
ridership on metro is up about 10%, we will probably need to wait till the end of the week to really see how much it changed
I'm all for using the space below highways and railways (viaducts, etc) effectively, but it's got to be secure and done in such a way to stop flames spreading through compartmentalization and other measures.
The feds nor state DOT don't want compartmentalization because that makes fighting the fires more risky, they limit what can be stored
I'm no lawyer, but I would have thought if a situation is in clear violation of obvious safety precautions, there should be a way to force immediate action. This may not amount to an eviction, but may force the tenant to take immediate action to mitigate the hazard.

Eviction is the wrong legal path in such a situation as an eviction can take months to clear all the hurdles and can probably be appealed and challenged to death, maybe dragging it on for years. If the tenant is storing stuff in a dangerous way, eviction should not be the first and foremost concern, but hazard mitigation. In the same way that the authorities can close down with immediate effect say a restaurant that has been found to serve unsanitary food, or take off the road a vehicle that is clearly unsafe. You don't need to initiate eviction procedures for that.
Part of the issue is the company was sub leasing and some of the sub leasers were leasing themselves, Caltrans had tried to get the tenants to stop paying rent but when they stop they got locked out and for most this was their job.
I expect this will change how the action can be done in the future.

Under the 10 Freeway: Immigrant businesses scraped by while landlord dodged Caltrans

Part of the issue is the company was sub leasing and some of the sub leasers were leasing themselves, Caltrans had tried to get the tenants to stop paying rent but when they stop they got locked out and for most this was their job.
I expect this will change how the action can be done in the future.

Under the 10 Freeway: Immigrant businesses scraped by while landlord dodged Caltrans
That article makes a shocking read.

I do hope we see stricter legislation and enforcement as a result of this. Plots adjacent to or even under highways and railroads often do tend to attract low-rent tenants engaging in low-profit activities who often need to cut corners on things such as insurance and safe working practices to be able to survive at all. Maybe authorities don't want to be too tough on them, and will maybe turn a blind eye for fear of putting them out of business. But safety must come first.

Last edited:
That article makes a shocking read.

I do hope we see stricter legislation and enforcement as a result of this. Plots adjacent to or even under highways and railroads often do tend to attract low-rent tenants engaging in low-profit activities who often need to cut corners on things such as insurance and safe working practices to be able to survive at all. Maybe authorities don't want to be too tough on them, and will maybe turn a blind eye for fear of putting them out of business. But safety must come first.
The legislation is already quite strict but enforcement is lacking.

Back