Los Angeles Union Station to get air conditioning

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calwatch

Lead Service Attendant
https://www.scribd.com/doc/254989901/LAUS-Air-Conditioning

These capital improvement programs are essential to the maintenance and operation of Los Angeles Union Station. The roof is 75 years old and is no longer water tight. It is not possible to patch or repair in sections. There is no heating or air conditioning system in the building. The building has been so modified over the 75 year history, that the natural flow of air originally allowed for, is no longer possible. Additionally, the standard of comfort required by today's population is such that an HVAC system is a necessity. A further need for the HVAC is to provide for the future restaurants, retail tenants and programming of cultural events, exhibits and entertainment on the property. The funding is required to restore the property from decades of neglect to its position as a national icon and representative image of Metro, on a national and international scale.

I waited for my connecting train once for like 3-4 hours. I spent the entire time in the courtyard reading. I found that area completly delightful. There was a light breeze and not a lot of people using the area. I just got lost in the yard, reading, people and event watching. LA Union Station is a gem and HVAC will totally enhance the building.

A few years ago I spent a few hours in LAX to make a connection. It was one of those days that I guess LA rarely sees - well over 100. I never could find a place that was comfortable.

Of course, in 1939 most passenger cars would not have had air conditioning, either.

Quite honestly, the only trip the Tejanita and I have done through LAUS, we did not even notice the lack of HVAC.

I kind of enjoyed the open door/fresh air environment there when I passed through. Here's hoping they don't entirely tighten it up so that it becomes sterile and isolated from its outside environment when temperature controls aren't needed due to nice weather.

Don't know about the main roof but, the canopies over the platforms could definitely use some work. Leaks during rain wind up on the ramps and stairs and into the main tunnel.

I'll miss seeing the birds that fly around the inside of the station since the doors and windows will have to be closed at all times!

I have never been uncomfortable while waiting inside the Station since the weather is usually mild in LA!( as was said sitting outside in the gardens is really nice)

I'll miss seeing the birds that fly around the inside of the station since the doors and windows will have to be closed at all times!
Then you'd 'enjoy' the bus concourse at the Port Authority Bus Terminal.....some pigeon's have found their way inside..... :p

Don't know about the main roof but, the canopies over the platforms could definitely use some work. Leaks during rain wind up on the ramps and stairs and into the main tunnel.
I don't think those canopies have been painted in the 30+ years I've been going though LAX.

For a public document, calwatch, I found that Metro "analysis" truly ridiculous. But the bottom line is they have the cash and they're going to spend it, I guess.

It's possible that they did an engineering analysis of restoring the natural air flow (buildings built from maybe 1880-1920s and in some cases 1930s and 1940s had this down to a science) but they certainly didn't mention that in the document.

HVAC would be a must for developing rent-paying tenants in a serious way and the rainwater leakage sounds like a serious structural problem.

Forest Hills station in Boston (1987?) I believe has HVAC but also has air flow and the pigeons inside. On the downside it can get quite nippy in there in the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back