Lost My Vacation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigval109

OBS Chief
My vacation was canceled today :angry: because the trains were not running to chicago on friday :angry: . But they start back sevice on saturday however the train I was to be on was full :angry: . I have lost my vacation that I had planned for many months :angry: . I can't just go back to work :unsure: . Can I ask customer service for some kind of compensation? Any Ideas?

Sorry, man. Can you delay the trip for a day? There's 3 trains running from WAS or NYP to CHI, one of them has to have an empty seat on it soon.
I tried that but everything I'm told is full and the cardinal which I can catch from here is not back to normal service :angry: and they don't know when. I'm up the track without and engine :eek: . Plus the lost of the vacation time from work. I use all my vacation time riding the trains during their slow seasons. Right now I just feel lost :blink:

Can I ask customer service for some kind of compensation? Any Ideas?

What, you want AMTRAK to 'compensate' you because 30+ inches of snow messed everything up?

If you are just into going somewhere, just head to the station and get on any train with a seat. See how far you can get. Should be fun.

Far as in Distance. Keep going as FAR as you can

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, man. Can you delay the trip for a day? There's 3 trains running from WAS or NYP to CHI, one of them has to have an empty seat on it soon.
I tried that but everything I'm told is full and the cardinal which I can catch from here is not back to normal service :angry: and they don't know when. I'm up the track without and engine :eek: . Plus the lost of the vacation time from work. I use all my vacation time riding the trains during their slow seasons. Right now I just feel lost :blink:
How about driving out to Huntington?

Drive up to DC and take a regional somewhere. Take the Crescent south. Plenty of places to go.
My buddie had free tickets to the Chicago Auto Show :) . I rarely miss it. A once a year thing :cool: . I had great hotel and at a low price ;) . Priceline.com Plus 5 days off :unsure: .

If you don't mind being a day late, there are coach seats and sleepers available on 49 from NYP-CHI on Saturday. Trains should be running RVR-NYP by then too.

If you don't mind being a day late, there are coach seats and sleepers available on 49 from NYP-CHI on Saturday. Trains should be running RVR-NYP by then too.
what can I do now they have cancelled my reservation?
Use the money you got back from the canceled reservation to make a new reservation. The new one would probably be more expensive, but if you can afford it and want to salvage as much of your vacation as you can, go for it.

If Amtrak cancelled the reservation, and not you, then call them back and give them that reservation number. Tell them you want to be rebooked and at the original bucket prices.

If you cancelled things, then you have no recourse. You'll have to pay the current prices.

If Amtrak cancelled the reservation, and not you, then call them back and give them that reservation number. Tell them you want to be rebooked and at the original bucket prices.
If you cancelled things, then you have no recourse. You'll have to pay the current prices.
Thanks for your help. I'm just grounded right now :blink: and I'm not happy very right now :angry: . However I still have the 2 club acela passes that the guys sent me that expire on the 28. If you can use them by then I will mail them to you in todays mail ;) if you PM me your address.

Can I ask customer service for some kind of compensation? Any Ideas?

What, you want AMTRAK to 'compensate' you because 30+ inches of snow messed everything up?
I can certainly understand davey being upset and angry. However, Bigval is right. It is not Amtrak's fault.

Most if not all forms of transportation was cancelled due to the snowstorm, so anyone planning a vacation going on a plane (airports closed) or bus (interstate highways closed) would have resulted the same.

Weather is always a risk for a planned vacation. That's life. :cool:

A couple of years ago we had tickets from ROC to CHI to SAC, then back. The day before we were to depart on the ROC-CHI leg, Amtrak canceled the train from CHI to SAC with no alternate transportation.

I quickly called Amtrak, and was given a cancellation number on the spot, and got a 100% refund for the entire trip. It took a New York minute to re-arrange, but we ended up flying. IIRC it was almost a week before the Zephyr was running again.

A couple of years ago we had tickets from ROC to CHI to SAC, then back. The day before we were to depart on the ROC-CHI leg, Amtrak canceled the train from CHI to SAC with no alternate transportation. I quickly called Amtrak, and was given a cancellation number on the spot, and got a 100% refund for the entire trip. It took a New York minute to re-arrange, but we ended up flying. IIRC it was almost a week before the Zephyr was running again.
The two club acela passes I had for my trip have been given away and mailed. Thanks to those who gave them to me to enhance my trip.

I am so confused. Why won't you take the LSL to chicago on Saturday if there are sleepers available? Why lose out on your room in Chicago that you got from priceline where you won't be able to get your money back? It's only one day later, take the trip and go and enjoy yourself!

:cool: :cool:

If it makes you feel any better, I just got back from a week in the dominican republic and we had to leave two days early because of all of the snow and we were worried about getting trapped. Talk about harsh - one minute I was in sun/sand and 80 plus degree weather, the next I am back in frigid New England.

I am so confused. Why won't you take the LSL to chicago on Saturday if there are sleepers available? Why lose out on your room in Chicago that you got from priceline where you won't be able to get your money back? It's only one day later, take the trip and go and enjoy yourself!:cool: :cool:

If it makes you feel any better, I just got back from a week in the dominican republic and we had to leave two days early because of all of the snow and we were worried about getting trapped. Talk about harsh - one minute I was in sun/sand and 80 plus degree weather, the next I am back in frigid New England.
the trains to nyp were full and I couldn't get there. I tried but they were sold out. Yes there was a seat from nyp to chi but I'm 300 or 400 miles away in richmond va. I just gave up. It wasn't ment to be. I still have my vacation in May :) , the big one 15 days. I'll be ok ;) . I was just really upset :angry: Oh Priceline refunded me all my money because I was not able to get there because of the weather which they confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back