Lounge car on LSL New York Section?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeRids

Service Attendant
[SIZE=11pt]I was working in Tarrytown today when I saw the Lake Shore whiz by. Though it was going fast I could have sworn saw an Amfleet II lounge in the consist. Does anyone know if the New York section now carries a lounge? I know for the past few years the Boston lounge has run through to Chicago; however, in prior years the train has run with both a diner and a lounge NYP-CHI. The lounge was in the center of the train, so it wasn’t like it was deadheading, and the full diner was also there. Any thoughts? [/SIZE]

The LSL does carry two lounge cars and the diner, one lounge is on the BOS-ALB Section and serves as a cafe/ lounge car and also as a diner (limited menu) for the Sleeping Car Passengers between BOS and ALB.

The NYP-ALB Section carries the Diner and a Lounge Car that is not manned after ALB as only one Cafe is used between ALB and CHI! Passengers on the NYP Section are encouraged to eat in the Diner between NYP and BOS, then the BOS Passengers get to walk the Green Mile from the front of the Train to the Diner after ALB!

Jimhudson, is the lounge staffed between NYP and ALB? Is this a relatively new addition? I rode the LSL in August and there was no lounge at all NYP-ALB.

Jimhudson, is the lounge staffed between NYP and ALB?
No.
Is this a relatively new addition? I rode the LSL in August and there was no lounge at all NYP-ALB.
It... comes and goes. It's usually on the train.
I haven't quite figured out the pattern, but I think it's always on the train in the winter (when they rotate the trainset as a Silver Star trainset) and not always in the summer (when they don't).

Yes it only for winter and not staffed.

Amtrak also run the train sets going south of DC in reverse to make it easier to rotated Lake Shore Limited equipment south.

There is no operating lounge car between NY and Albany...only the diner where dinner is served. You can't get a beer and chips in the diner for example. What's interesting is that Amtrak's national timetable has the following under LSL services:

Lounge...Note-Combined Diner/Lounge provides food and beverage service between NY and Albany. It would be nice if they had an operating lounge/cafe car between NY and Albany, but as of now they do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back