low or high buckets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJRACER

Service Attendant
I am looking at the bucket pricing on the Capitol Limited and on the #29 going west it reads $233 for a roomette......on #30 going east from Chicago to DC it is reading $126. Now, the lowest I have seen is $125 so do you think the west bound #29 will hold at $233 for our trip on August 5th. I know thats a hypothetical but $233 seems to be the high point and $126 seems to be the low.

I am looking at the bucket pricing on the Capitol Limited and on the #29 going west it reads $233 for a roomette......on #30 going east from Chicago to DC it is reading $126. Now, the lowest I have seen is $125 so do you think the west bound #29 will hold at $233 for our trip on August 5th. I know thats a hypothetical but $233 seems to be the high point and $126 seems to be the low.
Although $126 is very likely the low bucket, the $233 seems more like a mid bucket to me.

Yeah, I think that high bucket is more in the $400/$450 range.

Edit: Yep - looking at 3/10/11 right now, it's $422 for a roomette, and the website gives me the "Hurry, one room left" warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well. . . .I have never been in a roomette. . .but from descriptions I see and measurements on the web site. . . who would pay $422.00 for a nite in a roomette and dinner and breakfast.....crazy.

Well. . . .I have never been in a roomette. . .but from descriptions I see and measurements on the web site. . . who would pay $422.00 for a nite in a roomette and dinner and breakfast.....crazy.
Yup....My 6'2 hubby would be one of those crazy people! We usually book a roomette for him and depending on the $$ either my daughter or I go coach.

HOWEVER, I did LUCK into a FamilyRoom in APril on the EB from Wisconsin Dells to Chi for only $93 Dollars (tha's right ...less than one hundred for a Family Room) the roomettes were going for $153. I have also had to train myself to think in terms of getting two roomettes for the three of us, instead of the larger rooms, because you can usually get two roommettes for WAY LESS than the family room.

Happy travels

If I really had to be on that train, I would definitely pay it.

Edit: Yep - looking at 3/10/11 right now, it's $422 for a roomette, and the website gives me the "Hurry, one room left" warning.
What do you mean "the website gives me the "Hurry, one room left" warning" What website is that????

What do you mean "the website gives me the "Hurry, one room left" warning" What website is that????

I have seen that warning on the Amtrak tickets page, when you choose your accommodation, sometimes it will say, "Hurry, One Left", in a yellow warning bar next to the price. I have also seen "Hurry Two Rooms" I think it may issue the warning for as many as three rooms left. That's how I got my $93 dollar Family Room for our trip in April, when I started working on booking the trip, the FR was sold out, but when I went back a few days later, the FR said "Hurry One Left" so I grabbed it, lol...I don;t even have the rest of the trip booked yet, but I got the FR!

Amtrak's website:

1roomleft.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone,

I'm about to take my first Amtrak trip next week with my girlfriend. I was looking to purchase a roomette, but I wanted to know when I should buy it. A couple of days ago, the price was $199, but now, the price has gone up to $247. I read on an older thread about purchasing the upgrade on the train itself. Is that still a good option for a lower cost if I'm willing to take the gamble or could that price end up being higher than what it is already?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm about to take my first Amtrak trip next week with my girlfriend. I was looking to purchase a roomette, but I wanted to know when I should buy it. A couple of days ago, the price was $199, but now, the price has gone up to $247. I read on an older thread about purchasing the upgrade on the train itself. Is that still a good option for a lower cost if I'm willing to take the gamble or could that price end up being higher than what it is already?

Thanks!
Welcome to the board!

If you really, really want a roomette, book NOW. Check other dates around your scheduled trip, you may find a lower price. IF there are any roomettes or bedrooms available when you board, you can ask the Conductor for an onboard upgrade. The price is supposed to be the lowest price (low bucket). As an example, we booked a roomette from Glenwood Springs, Co to Salt Lake City, Ut, paying $99. We spoke to the Conductor, & were able to upgrade to a bedroom for $50.00-that's right $50. There's no guarantee there will any bedrooms or roomettes available the day of your trip! Enjoy your trip!

HOWEVER, I did LUCK into a FamilyRoom in APril on the EB from Wisconsin Dells to Chi for only $93 Dollars (tha's right ...less than one hundred for a Family Room) the roomettes were going for $153. I have also had to train myself to think in terms of getting two roomettes for the three of us, instead of the larger rooms, because you can usually get two roommettes for WAY LESS than the family room.

Happy travels
My wife, daughter, and I are traveling on the EB from MSP to CHI at the end of the week. Was able to get a family room (holds 4) for $93 each way when I booked a month ago. Certainly could not pass that up. We should get at least one meal in each direction. What was even better, the coach fare was not at the bottom bucket when making the reservations, but once I reserved the family room, there was a discount to reflect the lowest coach fare. So in effect, taking the room, became an even better bargain.

At first I was thinking about skipping the family room, as the trip between MSP and CHI is during the day time. However, with the EB running anywhere from 8-11 hours late from MSP to CHI every day the past couple of weeks, I now think it was a very good decision to get a bedroom. Heck, the EB was due in at 3:55pm Sat, but it is estimated that it will come in at 2:25 am Sun morning, 10 1/2 hours late!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back