LSL business class CHI - BOS and the train horn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs9

Lead Service Attendant
Hello all, I'm an Amtrak newbie looking to reduce my carbon footprint with more train usage and less flying. As a Chicago resident who travels east a fair amount, that means I'll be using the Lake Shore Limited.

As a somewhat light sleeper, I'm interested in paying a bit more for business class to be with a smaller group of people who will hopefully be making less noise (no little kids, likely). My understanding of the usual LSL consist is as follows:

Engine #1
Engine #2
Boston sleeper car
Business/cafe car
Boston coach 1
Boston coach 2
NYP cars (not applicable for me)

I've read on this forum that the horn can be a bit loud in the Boston sleeper, which is understandable. I'm curious if going one car further back makes a noticeable difference, or if I might actually be better off in coach. Anyone have experience with business class they can share? Many thanks!

I took Business Class on the LSL back in 2016 or 2017 from Buffalo to South Bend when sleepers were sold out.

I don’t remember the horn being a huge issue, but I’m not a light sleeper so take that for what it’s worth. So ear plugs or the equivalent that you can sleep with might not be a bad idea. Sometimes I like to fall asleep with audio books in my ear lulling me to sleep, but that’s just me.

One hint I will give you is that there is a gap between the edge of the window seats and the wall that I found problematic in some sleeping positions. It was much less of an issue once I stuffed my winter coat in there to bridge the gap.

Good luck!

I was on #29 the Capital Limited and in the sleeper that was immediately behind the engine. The horn was loud. Ear plugs took some of the edge off but it was still pretty loud. Eventually I got acclimated to it and slept the night through. The LSL has two engines so that means the Boston sleeper has a buffer between you and the horn. Earplugs ought to do the trick for you.

Back