LSL most scenic direction + Viewliner Bedroom vs Superliner Bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommylicious

OBS Chief
What's the most scenic direction on the LSL in November? Also, how is the comfort in a Viewliner bedroom compared to Superliner? I really like being up on 2nd floor on Superliner. Thank you.

The viewliner is certainly lower, but the high windows in the room help offset that. I personally like the viewliner roomettes better than superliner roomettes, I have never ridden in the viewliner bedroom though.

The best scenery on this line is the ride down the Hudson river. In November, a late (or even on-time) eastbound train may be doing that in the dark. For that reason alone, I would recommend going Westbound.

During the summer, eastbound may be a little better as you spend more daylight hours in upstate New York, as opposed to daylight hours in Indiana on the westbound.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you, the roomette on the LSL is a lot better than on any of the Empire or Zephyr trains. In the LSL roomette they have a toilet and a sink, these I think they could taken out, just have two or three restrooms per car, that would give more space in the room. As for the sleeping arrangements you have a bunk down, made from two seats facing each other and a very nice bunk that pulls down, when you are in the upper and lower bunks, both have windows to see out! That in its self is a BIG PLUS! I wish Amtrak would use this kind of Roomette car on all of its routes! One other thing I wish Amtrak would do for those of us who have to use the upper bunk is put in some handles to grab ahold of when trying to get in or out of the Bunk!

There is also a very nice storage area near the top bunk! At this time the LSL roomette is a little more crowded because of the sink and toilet being in the same room, take those out, widen the seats and Bingo a more comfortable ride and a much better view for both riders!

I can tell you, the roomette on the LSL is a lot better than on any of the Empire or Zephyr trains. In the LSL roomette they have a toilet and a sink, these I think they could taken out, just have two or three restrooms per car, that would give more space in the room. As for the sleeping arrangements you have a bunk down, made from two seats facing each other and a very nice bunk that pulls down, when you are in the upper and lower bunks, both have windows to see out! That in its self is a BIG PLUS! I wish Amtrak would use this kind of Roomette car on all of its routes! One other thing I wish Amtrak would do for those of us who have to use the upper bunk is put in some handles to grab ahold of when trying to get in or out of the Bunk!

There is also a very nice storage area near the top bunk! At this time the LSL roomette is a little more crowded because of the sink and toilet being in the same room, take those out, widen the seats and Bingo a more comfortable ride and a much better view for both riders!
They will keep the sink, but remove the toilet. See this thread: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/45804-viewliner-ii-production-status-photos/page-1

The superliners cannot have more space (or windows) on the upper bunk because of the height of the cars and the curvature of the roofline.

Westbound gets you the Hudson River scenery out of NY or the Berkshires out of Boston. Eastbound, both are likely to be in the dark if you're running late.

If you're interested in midwestern fields, or the industrial decay of Gary, you also want to go westbound, since the eastbound is again in the dark.

By contrast, the eastbound runs through upstate NY in the day, while the westbound runs in the dark. I love upstate NY, but you can't really see much scenery from the train. (It's right next to the Erie Canal!... which looks like a large ditch. There are big, tall trees on both sides of the right-of-way for much of the route. Though, look out the north side of the train immediately west of Rochester station at the gorge, and you've seen the best scenery on that part of the route, so there's that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back