LSL sleeper question/luggage?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dedhd

Train Attendant
I am traveling from MA to NV using the Lake Shore Limited. I have a roomette and I know the space is limited for a bag. My question is: Does anyone know the dimensions of the space for your luggage? ht, width, and depth?? This will help me decide which bag to bring.

I am traveling from MA to NV using the Lake Shore Limited. I have a roomette and I know the space is limited for a bag. My question is: Does anyone know the dimensions of the space for your luggage? ht, width, and depth?? This will help me decide which bag to bring.
If you're travelling alone, the upper bunk in the roommette makes a handy storage shelf for luggage (at the cost of lowering the bunk, obscuring the upper set of windows (but not the lower, larger ones) from view, unfortunately). Alternatively, there is what I'd call a "Luggage Cubby Hole" across from the upper bunk and over top of the sleeping car's main hallway. It has room for two smaller rectangular roller-bags (what most airlines would consider to be a carryon) or for one mid-size rollerbag. You can also prop a small roller bag up on a small shelf next to one of the seats, against the wall, but it can cramp the feel of the room; I'd use that as a last resort.

Unfortunately, I don't have measurements—maybe someone else on the board might...

-Rafi

The rolling suitcase that I normally travel with is 14 inches wide, stands 23 inches tall, and is 7 inches thick. If I had two of those bags, I could just barely fit both of them side by side in the cubbyhole above the hall. The same sized bag can also fit underneath your seats. One bag could be a little wider than mine by maybe an inch or two, the other I’d say could be approximately 5 or 6 inches wider. They could not be much taller or thicker and still fit underneath the seats. There is also room for a shoulder bag next to the larger of the two seats. If you need anything more than that, then I would recommend checking some luggage and letting it go into the baggage car. Your car attendant will try to accommodate larger bags, but it is very difficult for him to do so. He usually has to store them in the shower room, and in the vestibule of the car. This means that he has to keep moving them around as people enter and exit the train at stations, or if someone wants to take a shower.

The rolling suitcase that I normally travel with is 14 inches wide, stands 23 inches tall, and is 7 inches thick. If I had two of those bags, I could just barely fit both of them side by side in the cubbyhole above the hall.
So if I am reading you right the dimensions are approximately 23" height,28" wide and as deep, or would it be 14" highand 14" wide?

The rolling suitcase that I normally travel with is 14 inches wide, stands 23 inches tall, and is 7 inches thick. If I had two of those bags, I could just barely fit both of them side by side in the cubbyhole above the hall.
So if I am reading you right the dimensions are approximately 23" height,28" wide and as deep, or would it be 14" highand 14" wide?
No, the demensions that I gave you regarding my bag are when it is standing upright on it's legs/wheels. When I place that bag into the cubby, I have to lay it down. It cannot stand in the cubby upright.

Therefore the width of the cubby is approximately 28" wide, the depth would be about 22" (my bag doesn't quite fit in that way and hangs out just a bit), and the height of the cubby is probably 10" to perhaps 15". The actually cubby has a greater height, but you have to clear a safety bar that reduces the opening by about 3 to 4 inches.

Therefore the width of the cubby is approximately 28" wide, the depth would be about 22" (my bag doesn't quite fit in that way and hangs out just a bit), and the height of the cubby is probably 10" to perhaps 15". The actually cubby has a greater height, but you have to clear a safety bar that reduces the opening by about 3 to 4 inches.
Thanks Alan that is helpful info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back