LSL-SWC-CSL, December 14th-21st

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MontanaJim

Service Attendant
I arrived at Washington's Union Station at 11:10 am on December 14th, 20 minutes before my 11:30 A.M. Departure on Regional 184 to NYC. The QuickTrac machine had some quirk and I was forced to go to the ticket counter, where I impatiently waited in line for 10 minutes to reach the desk. Then I had to sign each of my tickets for my trip, rushed off to my gate just in time to join the line for my train. 184 departed about 5 minutes late.

I thought about sitting in the quiet car because of my intense dislike for cell phones and the people who incessantly chat on them. I decided on sitting in a car toward the head of the train, however, because I would have two seats to myself. That lasted until Philadelphia, when a great number of passengers boarded from a broken down train (162?) to points north. We made some extra stops, like in Newark, to accomodate these extra passengers. We arrived in NYC about 20 minutes late, at 3:05 P.M.

After arrival in Penn Station, I waited in the main hall for my next train, the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago. Penn Station is a terrible place for long distance trains, there is hardly anywhere to sit down and most passengers wait out in the main hall and stare at the arrival/departure boards. NYC deserves a better long distance station. Why not return to Grand Central?

The Lake Shore Limited lived up to its nickname, the Late Shore Limited, as its departure was delayed almost three hours due to mechanical problems of its equipment. The PA announcer said that cars for the Lake Shore and Silver Star were suffering problems due to the weather and where being worked on in sunnyside yard. Finally the train left about 6:30 pm. (someone also told me they were about an hour or two from canceling the train altogether, not sure if that is true or not).

I noticed on the ride that we stopped at a couple of towns north NYC that were not listed on the timetable, but names I cannot remember. Wonder why? Riding on the amfleet cars also made me wonder what was the difference between them and the mertroliners, as from the outside, they look the same.

Once we arrived in Ohio, we were delayed significantly due to a great number of freight trains. At one stop, I chatted with the conductor, who said that quote "norfolk southern is dicking us around". So I guess NS is becoming the UP of the east.

We arrived in Chicago 10 and a half hours late, a lateness record for my travels on Amtrak. Since I obviously too late to make my connection to the Southwest Chief, I and many other passengers were put up in the Best Western Hotel in downtown Chicago for the night, and given $46.00 (16.00 for cab, 30.00 for food, etc). I walked from my hotel to the station, however, so i pocketed most of the money. No wonder Amtrak is losing money when it has to pay for hotels for passengers.

On Friday, December 16th, I got up and had a nice continental breakfast at the hotel, took a brief walk down to the lake, and then walked to Union Station to catch the Southwest Chief. At 3:00 pm they announced that the train "would be significantly delayed" as we waited for a late train. Thats all the pa announcer said. Many people said as the minutes and hours went by that it would be nice if someone could give everyone an idea on when this train would arrive, or an approximate departure time. No one knew that the capitol limited had already arrived or when we would leave.

At about 6 or so they announced the boarding, and we finally left around 6:30 or so. I lucked out and got a seat in the last row in the last car on the train. On the ride to LA, i discovered that the view out of the window of the back of the train was pretty cool, like being in the engine, only in reverse. I spent a lot of time on the ride enjoying that view.

Because of the trains lateness, we went through the most scenic part of the trip, through apache canyon, in the dark. However, it also gave passengers the opportunity to seat El Cajon pass in California in the daylight. I thought crossing the pass was interesting, but nothing extra extra special.

Just east of LA, they announced on the PA that passengers connecting to the Coast Starlight would be able to make the connection. However, about 30 minutes later they announced that the connection would not be made, and passengers would be bussed to Bakersfield.

We arrived in LA at about 10:45 am on Sunday, December 18th. I decided that I did not want to be bussed to Bakersfield. I planned this trip to see the Ocean, and thats what I wanted to do. So I went to the ticket counter in the station and asked them if i could change my ticket for the next day (while paying for my own accomdation). The representative said all of the trains for the week were sold out, and his supervisor concurred. However, he said "let me make one more phone call" and called some station upline to ask for some help. After a couple of minutes, I had my ticket. I was so thankful. I thought about tipping the guy, but didnt know if that was appropriate. I will send him a thank you card in the mail for sure.

I then decided I wanted to stay in Santa Barbara for the night, and knew about a cheap hostel there. I phoned them and made a reservation. Then I bought a ticket for the 7 PM Pacific Surfliner.

With my plans made, I decided to check walk around downtown LA for the afternoon. I am a big sports fan and so I wanted to walk up to Dodger Stadium, although i didnt know if it was safe to walk that way or what road to take. The volunteer staffing the info booth at the station directed me how to get there and suggested i take a city bus. I like to walk, however, and set out on foot. Turns out the stadium is actually quite close, although i wasnt able to get onto the stadium property due to "its renovation". The man just inside of parking lot gate treated me like some sort of terrorist, asking me what I was up to. I then walked around the hills north of dodger stadium to get some views of the stadium and the downtown skyline. I got some great photos.

At about 5 pm i had a meal at jack in the box (first time i ate there, we dont have them back east or in montana). i thought it was pretty good. I then headed over through the mexican cultural center to the train station, and left on the 7 pm surfliner, arrving in santa barbara at 9:45 pm.

The hostel I stayed at is right across the tracks from the train station. Not bad for 21 bucks!

I stayed the night, then the next morning i walked along the beach and saw the pier. Not one who gets to the ocean or sees palm trees very often, I enjoyed it immensely. I discovered one of the best views of the ocean was from the santa barbara cemetary on top of one of the hills. Not a bad resting place. (no pun intended).

After eating at subway near the train station, I waited for the starlight. It arrived about 30 minutes late, at about 1:20 pm. I boarded, and departed Santa Barbara. Too bad, i enjoyed the place. Unfortunately I didnt see Frank, he must have been on vacation! (Hey Frank, do you know what they are building on the beach, they have one area south of the pier all torn up with bulldozers).

The ride north was spectacular. Got some great pics of some deer along the coastline, who just happened to be where the train stopped for a brief moment, and those of us in the sightseer lounge got a great treat.

I have taken the starlight before, but i didnt notice that the area just north of Redding was so beautiful. Because we were running about 2-3 hours late, a lot of it was in the daylight. Although Mt Shasta couldnt be seen very well due to low lying clouds, we passed waterfalls, rivers, and bridges. And I thought the only beautiful mountainous part of the trip was from Chemult to Eugene!

At Dunsmuir I noticed an engine turntable. One of the passengers said there are very few of these left in the country. We arrived in Klamath Falls about 4 hours late. The trip through the Oregon Cascades was great as usual, with a little bit of snow. We arrived in Portland about 6 hours late. Just north of Portland we suffered a little bit of engine trouble. One passenger said he saw a big flash. We sat near the columbia river for 30 minutes with no power. Passengers in the last car said that even the lights on the back of the train were out. As we waited, we saw an approaching train coming up behind us, and for a brief moment got a little scare, thinking maybe it would crash into us!! Luckily it went around us.

Finally they were able to get the engine running again and we were off. We arrived in Seattle at 3:15 A.M. , 6 hours and 45 minutes late, on Wednesday, December 21st. I then left in the morning by bus to my mothers home in Montana.

The trip was absoultely wonderful. I am happy for the nights i spent in Chicago and Santa Barbara. I now realize its not very smart to spend more than 3-4 days without taking a proper shower! Most of the employees on the trip were wonderful. Like I said before, I am going to send a thank you card to Edgar, (cant remember his last name) at the LA station who got me on the starlight for the next day so I wouldnt miss seeing the ocean. I am also going to send a thank you card to Carlos (cant remember his last name) who was my coach car attendant from LA to Seattle. I guess the best way to get it to him would be to send it to Amtrak's LA station. Anyone know what particular department I should send it to?

Thats about all I have to say about the trip for now. I am sure I will add more in the days ahead when i think of some other tidbits. I am anxiously awaiting my trip back to DC. I will leave from Whitefish on January 5th, and travel via portland, sacramento, slc, denver, chicago, pittsburgh, philly, and then on to DC. I cant wait to experience the zephyr. Im sure it will be great. It had better be to compete with the Coast Starlight and Southwest Chief! Thanks for reading my report, sorry for any non-train digressions I have made.

Nice report Jim. I will await your CZ report as I will be taking it from SAC to CHI in mid-January!

Tom

Very interesting trip report, it is such a shame that things that are easy for Amtrak employees to do, like give out frequent updates on reasons for delays, etc, dont happen as they should. It is good to know that you will reward good employees with a thank you. Can I ask if you will post the name of the hostel you stayed in at Santa Barbra, its good to get info on places near the station!

I am looking forward to part 2 of your trip...

Ed B)

I think the hostel is called the Santa Barbara Hostel. I just googled santa barbara hostel and got a link to it. i also think you can find it on hostels.com. it is right across the tracks from the station, you can see it from the platform.

Great trip report! Thanks for your insights. I'll await your return run report... should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back