Luggage question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocJohnB

Train Attendant
When I first booked my Amtrak trip 10 months ago I thought I had read that there is no checked baggage on the northeast regional service from BOS-NYP. Is this correct?

I will have a large bag (will meet weight requirements), a carry-on and what I call a shoulder bag (electronics, etc. . . about the size of a large woman's purse).

My trip is actually from BOS-DFB and I have a roomette from NYP-DFB. If I cannot check the baggage thru from BOS to DFB what is the procedure? Cart it aboard at BOS (business class) then have to check it at NYP? I understand there is not enough room in a roomette for the large piece of luggage . . . where is it stored on the sleeper car if not checked?

This is my first Amtrak trip in 20+ years and my first in a roomette.

Thanks.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
You can check luggage from BOS to DFB (Deerfield Beach for those of us like me who had no clue), but it comes with a catch. The only train between BOS and NYP that carries checked baggage is the overnight train. If you check your bag at BOS, it will be put on that train. That means it will not head south from NYP until the departure of the Silver Star the next day.

This gives you three choices.

- One, drop you bag off at BOS one day early. That way it will be at DFB when you arrive.

- Or, drop your bag on departure. That means it will not arrive at DFB until the day after you arrive and you will have to go back to the station then to pick it up.

- Or, drag it on with you as carry-on, but understand that the Viewliner sleeping cars have relatively limited luggage storage.

Same process for the return.

The only Trains that have Checked Bags on the NEC between BOS and NYP are #66 and #67, the Overnight Regionals! There is a Luggage Storeage Area on the Amfleet Coaches at the End of the Train and also an Open Overhead Rack that has Lots more Room than an Airplane! Same thing in Biz Class if you want to Pay the Upgrade Fare but for such a Short Run, probably Not Worth it! (It's included if you are using AGR Points! ;) ) You could also Check your Bag all the way to Florida but there is No Guarantee that it will be on your Train from NYP-DFB so its probably better to Carry it on!

Since you are going to be in A Roomette from NYP-DFB there is a Luggage Storeage Area in the Wall of your Room that goes out over the Hall of the Car that should be able to Hold your Bag and Also since you are by yourself you could Store your Bag on the Top Bunk which Pulls down from the Top on a Pole and is Easy to Use! Viewliner Roomettes have quite a bit of Room so sounds like youll have No Problem, you might want to consider getting a Red Cap in Bosaton and New york too since you are Elgible to use the Club Acelas in both Cities since you are in a Sleeper to Florida! This helps beat the Lineups and gets you to your Train ahead of the Thundering Heards that occur in Boston and New York Penn!

Thanks for the responses. Jim, I have made a copy of your response and will do as you suggest. I am too da**ed old to be hauling luggage and trying to beat folks 35 years younger than me to the train. :p

Why do you have to beat people to the train? There's tons of storage space on the Northeast Regionals and it won't be used up even if you're the last to board (and you'll be boarding at the first stop.) For your trip from NYP to Florida, you'll be in private space so when you board makes no difference to luggage storage availability.

This helps beat the Lineups and gets you to your Train ahead of the Thundering Heards that occur in Boston and New York Penn!
Boston boarding is quite civilized and polite.I have never seen "Thundering Heards(herds)" in Boston. The trains start at BOS and have plenty of room.No need to lineup until the gate is opened.The next three stops might fill the train, however.

edited-quotes didn't work

Just one thing to remember about checking bags on #66 or #67. Due to the shortage of baggage cars (which is why I guess they eliminated baggage service on the NEC), occasionally those trains will go out without a baggage car, and no checked baggage service will be available. Thus, when I check bags on #66 or #67, I do it **two days** in advance, just to even the odds. Amtrak will hold your bags at the destination for 72 hours without a fee.

In fact, right now, I'm on my way to Boston, where I expect to be reunited with my skis and duffel after I checked them in Baltimore Tuesday evening. I also checked ahead this way a few years ago when I went to Montana, as the trip required two baggage transfers (one in Washington, the other in Chicago). By the way, between New York and Washington, there are more trains with baggage service. Most of them you can't ride, but I think your baggage can, and you can take another train.

You can always check the bag in NYP if you want, too. That is still an option after hauling it aboard the regional.

When you check into the Club Acela in BOS, just mention that you want a redcap. In fact, sometimes the redcaps will notice you ringing the bell and will come over and as kwhat train you are on. Then they will hold your bags until they come get you to board ,that way you don't have to lug your bags up the steps into the Club Acela.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back