luggage questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eliyahu

Train Attendant
folks,

we'll be taking the #99 from new haven on november 18th to connect to the crescent at penn and on our return will connect from #20 to #176 on november 26th. now here is my concern: we've always traveled via springfield connecting to the LSL, which has through baggage service. since our origin and return point is new haven along the northeast corridor, using regional trains without checked baggage, how does this work? we'll have two car seats, two large bags, a cooler, a carry-on bag and two small children to shelp on the regional to get to penn.

1. how do i reserve/find a red cap at new haven station for assistance on to the train?

2. how do i reserve/find a red cap once detraining at penn?

3. where on earth will all of this luggage go on the regional trains, particularly an afternoon train during the week (#176)?

since we've never had to travel via penn station (thank goodness), i'm a little apprehensive about the luggage situation. out in texas or at stations with just long-distance service, luggage is almost never a problem. but here we're using regionals with no luggage space whatever and i haven't the foggiest idea on how to get help with all of our kit.

any suggestions -- other than taking less? ;)

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about Penn station but as far as in Texas there are no Red Caps that I have ever seen. Maybe someone else can comment on the other

folks,
we'll be taking the #99 from new haven on november 18th to connect to the crescent at penn and on our return will connect from #20 to #176 on november 26th. now here is my concern: we've always traveled via springfield connecting to the LSL, which has through baggage service. since our origin and return point is new haven along the northeast corridor, using regional trains without checked baggage, how does this work? we'll have two car seats, two large bags, a cooler, a carry-on bag and two small children to shelp on the regional to get to penn.

1. how do i reserve/find a red cap at new haven station for assistance on to the train?

2. how do i reserve/find a red cap once detraining at penn?

3. where on earth will all of this luggage go on the regional trains, particularly an afternoon train during the week (#176)?

since we've never had to travel via penn station (thank goodness), i'm a little apprehensive about the luggage situation. out in texas or at stations with just long-distance service, luggage is almost never a problem. but here we're using regionals with no luggage space whatever and i haven't the foggiest idea on how to get help with all of our kit.

any suggestions -- other than taking less? ;)

-- eliyahu

waterbury, ct
1) Well according to the timetable, redcaps are not available in New Haven so you'd have to haul all of your luggage on your own. Now oddly enough the website claims that luggage assistance is available, but just what that means I'm not sure.

2) When the conductor takes your tickets, tell him that you'll need redcap assistance in NY and hopefully he'll remember to radio ahead. Usually redcaps meet every train anyhow, but it's helpful if they already know that you need help and what car to go to. Even if you don't see a redcap, get everyone off onto the platform and have them watch the luggage while you get it off the train. Then keep looking for a redcap and asking any uniformed Amtrak personel to call one for you.

3) The regionals have a fair amount of luggage space, both in the overhead racks and at the end of the car in a large luggage bay. Things may be a bit full, but I think that you should be able to still get your luggage aboard.

Now, all that said what you might wish to consider assuming that it's not too far, is to come down to the New Haven station the night before your trip with some of your luggage. If you bring all of your tickets you should be able to check your bags, or at least the car seats if you don't need them the next day, to your destination. The bags will be put on the overnight train #67, the former Federal. They either be transferred at NY or at DC to the Crescent, I'm not sure which but Amtrak is good about this.

There is a slight chance that you'd get some employee who doesn't know that he/she is allowed to do this, but hopefully in New Haven they'll all know how to do this. You should also be able to do the same on the return trip, but know that you'll have to come back the next day to pick up your checked bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back