Luggage Storage on Viewliners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warbonnet

Service Attendant
Is there any large suitcase luggage storage rack areas available on Viewliner sleepers, similar to the lower level luggage racks on Superliners? Headed east shortly and my wife always packs like she's going away for months!

Thanks

Wb.

Is there any large suitcase luggage storage rack areas available on Viewliner sleepers, similar to the lower level luggage racks on Superliners? Headed east shortly and my wife always packs like she's going away for months!

Thanks

Wb.
In Short,NO!Not Outside the Rooms! Bedrooms and Roomette have Room,Outsidethe Room the SCA has to Store Extra Bags in the Shower!/Vestibule/ Empty Rooms or Wherever! The Amfleet Coaches have a Storage Area on the ends of the Carsbut it is usually Full on SOLD OUT Trains and You Wouldnt Wnt your Luggage in a Coach anyway! Sounds like some Basic Training Might be in Order for the Wife! :lol: Travel Light and Tavel Right is a good Motto! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Try to check whatever you will not be needing on the train, as other people have advised.

2. The Viewliners amazingly have A LOT more space in the rooms for luggage than Superliners. My wife and I were amazed how we were able to fit two large and two small bags in that room (there is a nice storage place near the top bed)

3. Also ask your SCA, they often have very smart and creative ways of storing extra things, I know ours did.

Just to add that on the Viewliners, each room has a private storage area/bin that I can only attempt to describe as the attic space over the hallway. I have always been able to fit the luggage I needed to support our overnight stay in that space.

If you're in a roomette, then your options and space are far more limited, although there is still far more space than in a Superliner Roomette. If you have a Bedroom, you could fit a foot locker on top of the sink/vanity/toilet unit.

Does anyone remember what the dimensions of the cubby adjacent to the upper bunk. in the Viewliner roomette??
The rolling suitcase that I normally travel with is 14 inches wide, stands 23 inches tall, and is 7 inches thick. If I had two of those bags, I could just barely fit both of them side by side in the cubbyhole above the hall.

The rolling suitcase that I normally travel with is 14 inches wide, stands 23 inches tall, and is 7 inches thick. If I had two of those bags, I could just barely fit both of them side by side in the cubbyhole above the hall.
Thanks Alan

My roller will be too thick to fit into the cubby, but the tote will! Guess the roller will squish onto the top bunk. :rolleyes:

Thanks Alan

My roller will be too thick to fit into the cubby, but the tote will! Guess the roller will squish onto the top bunk. :rolleyes:
Yes, if you drop the top bunk to the mid-position you'll be able to put your suitcase up top. Just grab the silver handle on the bottom of the bunk, give it a turn and once the bunk starts moving down a bit release the handle and continue to pull down until it locks into place at the mid-point. Unless you're extra tall, you'll still be able to stand underneath the bed in that position.

Yes, if you drop the top bunk to the mid-position you'll be able to put your suitcase up top. Just grab the silver handle on the bottom of the bunk, give it a turn and once the bunk starts moving down a bit release the handle and continue to pull down until it locks into place at the mid-point. Unless you're extra tall, you'll still be able to stand underneath the bed in that position.

If I didn't have to bring extra junk to my daughters I could make the roller fit in the cubby. Oh well, it's only for one night!!

Thanks for all your replys. We're in roomettes on both the SWC and the LSL, but boarding in VRV which isn't staffed. So I guess the best solution is the store the large bags in the lower rack on the Chief, and check them as checked luggage when we change trains in ChiTown.

Wb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back