Luggage you can wear on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgstubbs1

OBS Chief
https://www.forbes.com/sites/christ...-help-you-avoid-new-airline-baggage-fees/amp/
Instead of luggage you have to carry, I use luggage I can WEAR.

These people have come up with some interesting ways to carry on.

It reminds me of an old Jack Benny TV show where he has his man, Rochester, help him try to 'scam' the airline over the 44lb luggage rule by using a trenchcoat.

Jacktogo
Jacktogo
For travelers more concerned with function over style, Jacktogo delivers. Unlike the solutions above which are cleverly designed jackets, Jacktogo is literally a stripped-down carry-on bag with arm holes. Sure, it looks utterly ridiculous, but its purpose is to be worn just long enough to skate through security and dodge the pesky “one carry-on bag” rule. The polyester shell is lightweight, waterproof, and also available in leather and denim. Although, it’s difficult to imagine that anyone would wear it outside the airport. It features 14 pockets capable of carrying more than 20 pounds of gear. At just $110 USD (for the original version), it’s also the cheapest solution we’ve seen.

Sure, it looks utterly ridiculous, but its purpose is to be worn just long enough to skate through security and dodge the pesky “one carry-on bag” rule.
In my experience security doesn't care about the one bag rule, they don't let jackets avoid the scanning process, and if you show up with a big bulky coat in warm or moderate weather you're likely to receive some extra attention.

At just $110 USD (for the original version), it’s also the cheapest solution we’ve seen.
I've never paid more than $100 for any of my luggage and my favorite roll-a-board of all time was a mere $55. It was still working fine when retired but had lots of chips and scars from poor handling and I had received new luggage as a gift that lasted maybe a year before the zippers became permanently stuck (Eagle Creek).

If someone showed up wearing one of those coats "fully loaded" with luggage I really wonder what they would allow?

I did buy a jacket from Scottevest because I can use lots of pockets for all the things a person needs these days.
It's ok I guess but maybe a little excessive. Some jackets have just two pockets, not always enough.

I too bought a Scottevest when I had booked my own and only flight on RyanAir, which has ridiculously stingy cabin baggage allowance--and will sting you big-time for violations, as the parents of a little kid carrying a toy bunny found out when Ryan Air interpreted it as a 'cabin bag.' The trouble I had with the Scottevest--other than having to look like the Michelin Man caricature--is that there are so many little pockets that it's hard to remember what's where. Also, the build quality leaves something to be desired; two of the seams were badly finished and had to be repaired partway through the trip in question.

The late, lamented Travelsmith had a more stripped-down travel vest with 9 pockets that I bought later, and still use for day hikes when I don't want to carry a day bag. So there is clearly a market for such apparel.

I too bought a Scottevest when I had booked my own and only flight on RyanAir, which has ridiculously stingy cabin baggage allowance--and will sting you big-time for violations, as the parents of a little kid carrying a toy bunny found out when Ryan Air interpreted it as a 'cabin bag.' The trouble I had with the Scottevest--other than having to look like the Michelin Man caricature--is that there are so many little pockets that it's hard to remember what's where. Also, the build quality leaves something to be desired; two of the seams were badly finished and had to be repaired partway through the trip in question.

The late, lamented Travelsmith had a more stripped-down travel vest with 9 pockets that I bought later, and still use for day hikes when I don't want to carry a day bag. So there is clearly a market for such apparel.

I also have invested in a multiple pocket vest for riding long distance off road events on a Motorcycle thinking it may solve a carry all purpose. After trying to distribute items in all the pockets it had and realizing most were not big enough and small ones just provided space for things I didn't need, plus like you mentioned, it required a map to locate things. I hung it up and never used it.

I've been wearing my Scottevest jacket quite a bit the last five or six years. I don't use all the pockets but they can be handy. The sides and back can hold large documents and shield them from rain. It's safer carrying a wallet in a chest pocket than pants pocket.

I have several shirts with extra zipping pockets behind the front pockets. They are useful even though I bought them from a regular retail outlet.

Back