Lunch in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are heading out of Akron to Denver via 3R and CZ on 7/29. Anyone know if there is an UNO's near Union Station? We plan to take the kids (10-7-5) to Shedd aqaurium or field museum if time allows on Thurs. AM.

This is our first experience traveling on Amtrak.

There are a few UNO's to choose from, but none are within walking distance of Union Station and would require either taxi or public transportation to get to. The closest one to Union Station would be at 29 East Ohio Avenue. However, if you want true deep dish pizza I would suggest Gino's East pizzeria located at 633 North Wells Avenue.

Now I do want to caution you that your train, the California Zephyr, leaves Chicago at 2:10pm and should be at Union Station an hour ahead of time at 1:10pm (espeically since you have children and will qualify for pre-boarding). Gino's and UNO's will not open until 11:00am or 12:00pm and you should leave atleast 45 minutes to get from the restaurant to Union Station. So with time constraints you may want to skip the pizza this time around and just hit the museums. Now there is a fast food deep dish pizzeria located in Union Staton, but I've never eaten there myself.

Personally, I suggest the Feild Museum over the Shedd Aquarium. The Field Museum is much more kid freindly, hands on, and, in my opinion, a lot more interesting. In order to get from Union Station to the Museum Campus (which is the locatation of both the Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum) you want to take the #28 bus from the corner of Jackson and Canal.

Enjoy your trip. B)

Amfleet said:
There are a few UNO's to choose from, but none are within walking distance of Union Station and would require either taxi or public transportation to get to. The closest one to Union Station would be at 29 East Ohio Avenue. However, if you want true deep dish pizza I would suggest Gino's East pizzeria located at 633 North Wells Avenue.
Now I do want to caution you that your train, the California Zephyr, leaves Chicago at 2:10pm and should be at Union Station an hour ahead of time at 1:10pm (espeically since you have children and will qualify for pre-boarding). Gino's and UNO's will not open until 11:00am or 12:00pm and you should leave atleast 45 minutes to get from the restaurant to Union Station. So with time constraints you may want to skip the pizza this time around and just hit the museums. Now there is a fast food deep dish pizzeria located in Union Staton, but I've never eaten there myself.

Personally, I suggest the Feild Museum over the Shedd Aquarium. The Field Museum is much more kid freindly, hands on, and, in my opinion, a lot more interesting. In order to get from Union Station to the Museum Campus (which is the locatation of both the Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum) you want to take the #28 bus from the corner of Jackson and Canal.

Enjoy your trip. B)

I agree with Amfleet about choosing the Field Museum over the Shedd--if you only have time for one. If possible, of course both would be good.

The art museum is also extremely good, for consideration another time. The Museum of Science and Industry is good but it much further away than the others mentioned.

Amfleet said:
In order to get from Union Station to the Museum Campus (which is the locatation of both the Shedd Aquarium and Field Museum) you want to take the #28 bus from the corner of Jackson and Canal.
Enjoy your trip. B)
Or you can take the Green Trolley Line from just outside Union Station to

Free Trolley

Thank you all for the kind advice. We will try the Field Museum this trip if time will allow, and perhaps try the pizza at the station or see where adventure takes us. The art museum is wonderful, but might be wasted on kids coming off a short night's sleep on their first train trip. (Our train departs at 1:19 am, not their usual time to be awake. We do have a sleeper, but the excitement will doubtless take its toll.) We will post our experiences when we get back. These forums have answered many of our first-timer questions.

Thanks again.

joycem

Here is hoping you have a great trip. There is much to do in Chicago whenver you have more time, and perhaps when the kids are older and can appreciate still more of it. Keep in mind that the Sears Tower is very near the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back