LYH-CVS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colobok

Service Attendant
I am planning our October trip and we will be returning from CVS to WAS and then to TPA.

I have an option to rent a car and drive to Lynchburg and board there instead of CVS.

Is it worth doing? How is the area between LYH and CVS? Is it somewhat scenic or nothing special?

I will be riding Regional train with departure around 10am (on Saturday).

I have always boarded in Charlottesville and have not ridden the segment between Charlottesville and Lynchburg; but I cannot imagine it would be worth it. I expect it looks like the rest of the central Virginia countryside: lots of trees and rolling hills with a stream or two and farms dotting the landscape.

I have always boarded in Charlottesville and have not ridden the segment between Charlottesville and Lynchburg; but I cannot imagine it would be worth it. I expect it looks like the rest of the central Virginia countryside: lots of trees and rolling hills with a stream or two and farms dotting the landscape.
But beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. They key word you used is "rolling". It is my impression that some people who do not reside in Virginia are impressed specifically by its rolling hills.

I grew up in Chattanooga,TN. About 1953 we drove my sister to Averitt College in Danville, VA., and I still remember how impressed my whole family was with the rolling hills of Virginia.I wish I could see more of them from the Crescent.

Honestly, you're not missing much in that stretch, except for a spectacular view from the Lynchburg trestle just north of Kemper Street Station. That's the highlight of the run by far. Would I go out of my way for it? Probably not, but that's just me. I'd be more likely to drive down there to get a look at the trestle from the side and to shoot some pictures of trains going over it rather than rearrange things just to ride it.

If you are open to driving, though, you could save yourself a ton of time and instead of driving from Charlottesville to Lynchburg (65 miles) to go to DC to catch the Silver Star, drive from Charlottesville to Richmond (70 miles) and catch the Star there instead. You'll save yourself 8 hours. Literally.

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
Back