Main Hurricane Discussion Thread

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't cancel any plans just yet, but if Irene continues on her present track I would plan on not going. The models this morning bring her track more west, which is just bad news all the way around.

I have a vacation planned for Duck, NC (northern outer banks) for the week of 4-11 Sep and I'm already looking at contingency plans.

So far projections appear to be that Irene will be a borderline hurricane at best by the time it gets to New York, in which case it will really be more like a Noreaster. But it is really too early to tell. We will have a much better projection in another 24 to 36 hours.

I hope Irene stays to the East!! I'm about 3 miles West of Jis, so he will get the storm seconds before

it reaches my house!! I am about 250 feet above sea level on a hill, so I don't expect any flood damage.

The wind is another story. My wife has moved her flowers from the patio into the laundry room and the

cars are in the garage. We are having thunderstorms right now. Irene is due to hit here early on Sunday

morning.

I hope Irene stays to the East!! I'm about 3 miles West of Jis, so he will get the storm seconds before

it reaches my house!! I am about 250 feet above sea level on a hill, so I don't expect any flood damage.

The wind is another story.
Yeah, I am also high on a hill in Short Hills, just by the NJT Morris and Essex Line, so no worries about floods. Bigger worry is about trees toppling over in the forests surrounding this area. Yes, car will be in garage by the time storm arrives. But there is a trip to Albany to take care of before that to say hello to the Amtrak 40th Anniversary train again, and of course for any chance meetings with folks from this Board that show up there.

Here in Florida, we had rain this morning. They are predicting beach erosion and rip currents on the coast. Florida is much more used to hurricanes than the northeast. I feel very bad for the folks who will be experiencing an earthquake and hurricane within the same week. :eek:

Some hurricane tips: make sure your car has a full tank of gas before the storm because gas stations might lose power; do not wait until the last minute to buy batteries, bottled water, toilet paper, etc. because stores run out. Bring inside all lawn furniture or other things that might get blown away and cause damage during high winds. (My guess is that all you northeasterns know this since you get snow storms in the winter).

Take care and be safe.

:hi: I second what Penny said! Hope all our Yankee (and Sawk Nation too!) brothers and sisters and their pets come out OK from this nasty storm! Just don't expect to ride Trains this weekend or possibly even early next week! :eek:

Defintion of a Yankee: Anyone who lives North of you! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time I had a hurricane related cancellation 98 was cancelled one hour before departure from NYP. I was at NYP when the cancellation was announced. I got on the phone and booked me a flight on Continental out of Newark departing that afternoon, and made it to Florida by the time 98 would have made it to Richmond. Naturally the cancellation happened many many hours before there was even a whiff of the storm in the new York area. Amtrak of course refunded the fare for the trip on 98. I retained my return reservation and ticket on 91 couple of days later, and came back by 91, which is the one that first destroyed a car in Winter Park and then sat in JAX for 7 hours while DHS and local police dicked around looking for a non-existent bomb.

I have renamed this topic (kept the original topic title in the second line) so we can have ALL Hurricane Irene discussion in one place.

Please use this thread for all discussion and new information.

Am on the phone (hold) with Amtrak right now to cancel my NCR-NYP roundtrip for Friday departure, Monday return. My hotel made an exception to their no refunds policy.

Even if the storm isn't as bad as predicted, who wants to be vacationing in New York in this weather? Also, I was worried I'd get stuck at NYP on Monday.

It sucks, since this was my redemption of the free roundtrip I earned in their Spring Ahead promotion (buy 2 get one free). Better safe than sorry, though.

So LD trains south of Washington DC appear to be indeed canceled from Friday to Sunday.

The following cancellations have been made for origination dates of Friday, Aug. 26, Saturday, Aug. 27 and Sunday, Aug. 28:

• Auto Train Trains 52 and 53 (Sanford, Fla. - Lorton, Va.)

• Silver Star Trains 91 and 92 (New York -Tampa - Miami), canceled New York to Jacksonville; train will operate between Jacksonville and Miami

• Silver Meteor Trains 97 and 98 (New York - Miami)

• Palmetto Train 89 (New York - Savannah)

The following cancellations have been made for origination dates of Saturday, Aug. 27 and Sunday, Aug. 28:

• Carolinian Trains 79 and 80 (New York - Cary, N.C.)

• Palmetto Train 90 (New York - Savannah)

Thanks, Tom. This makes things MUCH easier to stay on top of.

Edit:

Just came across this great article that lays out the current situation, possible impacts and comparisons to other storm events that the NE has gone through. Of note:

Irene's storm surge may flood New York City's subway systemThe floodwalls protecting Manhattan are only five feet above mean sea level. During the December 12, 1992 Nor'easter, powerful winds from the 990 mb storm drove an 8-foot storm surge into the Battery Park on the south end of Manhattan. The ocean poured over the city's seawall for several hours, flooding the NYC subway and the Port Authority Trans-Hudson Corporation (PATH) train systems in Hoboken New Jersey. FDR Drive in lower Manhattan was flooded with 4 feet of water, which stranded more than 50 cars and required scuba divers to rescue some of the drivers. Mass transit between New Jersey and New York was down for ten days, and the storm did hundreds of millions in damage to the city. Tropical Storm Floyd of 1999 generated a storm surge just over 3 feet at the Battery, but the surge came at low tide, and did not flood Manhattan. The highest water level recorded at the Battery in the past century came in September 1960 during Hurricane Donna, which brought a storm surge of 8.36 feet to the Battery and flooded lower Manhattan to West and Cortland Streets. However, the highest storm surge on record in New York City occurred during the September 3, 1821 hurricane, the only hurricane ever to make a direct hit on the city. The water rose 13 feet in just one hour at the Battery, and flooded lower Manhattan as far north as Canal Street, an area that now has the nation's financial center. The total surge is unknown from this greatest New York City hurricane, which was probably a Category 2 storm with 110 mph winds. NOAA's SLOSH model predicts that a mid-strength Category 2 hurricane with 100-mph winds could drive a 15 - 20 foot storm surge to Manhattan, Queens, Kings, and up the Hudson River. JFK airport could be swamped, southern Manhattan would flood north to Canal Street, and a surge traveling westwards down Long Island Sound might breach the sea walls that protect La Guardia Airport. Many of the power plants that supply the city with electricity might be knocked out, or their docks to supply them with fuel destroyed. The more likely case of a Category 1 hurricane hitting at high tide would still be plenty dangerous, with waters reaching 8 - 12 feet above ground level in Lower Manhattan. Given the spread in the models, I predict a 20% chance that New York City will experience a storm surge in excess of 8 feet that will over-top the flood walls in Manhattan and flood the subway system. This would most likely occur near 8 pm Sunday night, when high tide will occur and Irene should be near its point of closest approach. Such a storm surge could occur even if Irene weakens to a tropical storm on its closest approach to New York City.

OK, I thought that, since it was directly from Amtrak, was new info, and involved a lot more that Charleston, it deserved a new topic. But, here it is again:

AMTRAK PREPARES FOR HURRICANE IRENE

by Amtrak on Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 11:32am

Trains operating south of Washington canceled in anticipation of hurricane

As Hurricane Irene continues to progress, Amtrak is canceling train service for Friday, Saturday and Sunday operating south of Washington. Additional cancellations may be necessary in the coming days as the major storm moves north. Currently, service on the Northeast Corridor is not affected.

The following cancellations have been made for origination dates of Friday, Aug. 26, Saturday, Aug. 27 and Sunday, Aug. 28:

Auto Train Trains 52 and 53 (Sanford, Fla. - Lorton, Va.)

Silver Star Trains 91 and 92 (New York -Tampa - Miami), canceled New York to Jacksonville; train will operate between Jacksonville and Miami

Silver Meteor Trains 97 and 98 (New York - Miami)

Palmetto Train 89 (New York - Savannah)

The following cancellations have been made for origination dates of Saturday, Aug. 27 and Sunday, Aug. 28:

Carolinian Trains 79 and 80 (New York - Cary, N.C.)

Palmetto Train 90 (New York - Savannah)

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

Thanks, Tom. This makes things MUCH easier to stay on top of.

Edit:

Just came across this great article that lays out the current situation, possible impacts and comparisons to other storm events that the NE has gone through. Of note:

Irene's storm surge may flood New York City's subway systemThe floodwalls protecting Manhattan are only five feet above mean sea level. During the December 12, 1992 Nor'easter, powerful winds from the 990 mb storm drove an 8-foot storm surge into the Battery Park on the south end of Manhattan. The ocean poured over the city's seawall for several hours, flooding the NYC subway and the Port Authority Trans-Hudson Corporation (PATH) train systems in Hoboken New Jersey. FDR Drive in lower Manhattan was flooded with 4 feet of water, which stranded more than 50 cars and required scuba divers to rescue some of the drivers. Mass transit between New Jersey and New York was down for ten days, and the storm did hundreds of millions in damage to the city. Tropical Storm Floyd of 1999 generated a storm surge just over 3 feet at the Battery, but the surge came at low tide, and did not flood Manhattan. The highest water level recorded at the Battery in the past century came in September 1960 during Hurricane Donna, which brought a storm surge of 8.36 feet to the Battery and flooded lower Manhattan to West and Cortland Streets. However, the highest storm surge on record in New York City occurred during the September 3, 1821 hurricane, the only hurricane ever to make a direct hit on the city. The water rose 13 feet in just one hour at the Battery, and flooded lower Manhattan as far north as Canal Street, an area that now has the nation's financial center. The total surge is unknown from this greatest New York City hurricane, which was probably a Category 2 storm with 110 mph winds. NOAA's SLOSH model predicts that a mid-strength Category 2 hurricane with 100-mph winds could drive a 15 - 20 foot storm surge to Manhattan, Queens, Kings, and up the Hudson River. JFK airport could be swamped, southern Manhattan would flood north to Canal Street, and a surge traveling westwards down Long Island Sound might breach the sea walls that protect La Guardia Airport. Many of the power plants that supply the city with electricity might be knocked out, or their docks to supply them with fuel destroyed. The more likely case of a Category 1 hurricane hitting at high tide would still be plenty dangerous, with waters reaching 8 - 12 feet above ground level in Lower Manhattan. Given the spread in the models, I predict a 20% chance that New York City will experience a storm surge in excess of 8 feet that will over-top the flood walls in Manhattan and flood the subway system. This would most likely occur near 8 pm Sunday night, when high tide will occur and Irene should be near its point of closest approach. Such a storm surge could occur even if Irene weakens to a tropical storm on its closest approach to New York City.
Thanks, Ryan. Now I feel even more confident that I made the right decision about canceling my trip to NYC. Although it will postpone my passing 15,000 lifetime miles on Amtrak (I'm only 11 miles short!).

Now can we also merge the "Irene headed for Charleston" thread with this one and have truly a single Irene thread? Or at least close that one down for further additions and point it to this one? Please, pretty please?

Now can we also merge the "Irene headed for Charleston" thread with this one and have truly a single Irene thread? Or at least close that one down for further additions and point it to this one? Please, pretty please?

Already done, Jis - I had it done before you wrote. :D

Already done, Jis - I had it done before you wrote. :D
Thank you kind Sir!

Yikes. I don't even have any place inside to put my patio furniture - I just put a cover on it in the winter.

Yikes. I don't even have any place inside to put my patio furniture - I just put a cover on it in the winter.
Fortunately, if it shifts any further west, it will be traveling up over land and will weken way more than if it tracked up over water. So let's see what happens in the next 24 hours.

I'm wondering what Amtrak plans are in case a hurricane threatens to hit the Queens area and Sunnyside Yard. Would Amtrak move the extra Amfleet and Heritage cars on a dead head equipment move to Philadelphia, Harrisburg, or even Albany? Maybe move some Acelas to Philadelphia? If Sunnyside Yard gets flooded or hit by high winds, they may want to limit the amount of equipment in the path of the storm. This could lead to Amtrak canceling a lot of service on the NEC on Saturday ahead of the storm to move equipment out of the way.
I'm sure that Amtrak is monitoring the situation carefully and probably will try to draw down the level of equipment at least a bit in Sunnyside no matter what happens. It should be noted that except on Weekends, Acela's almost never sit in Sunnyside. They'll run through, maybe stop for a cleaning, but it very unusual to see Acela's sitting in the yard on a weekday. On a weekend, depending on the time of day you might see 1 or 2 Acela sets in the yard and I'll bet that they'll deadhead at least one out, if not all, once the Saturday runs are completed to Philly.

As for the yard itself, the western approaches and therefore the tunnels under the East River are vulnerable to flooding due to storm surge from a direct hit from a Category 2 or stronger storm. It will take a direct hit from a Cat 3 or higher storm for the surge to take out the actual yard. This is not to suggest that getting a foot of rain in 24 hours couldn't cause problems in its own right within the yard. Although it is possible that the currently under construction East Side Access tunnels might actually & accidentally help to drain away some of that water. Good for the yard, not so good for the tunnel project.

My parents live on the South Shore of Long Island and they're saying that there is talk of mandatory evacuations happening on the coast. They haven't had a glance from a hurricane since Bob back in '91 (which of course I was at boy scout camp in Rhode Island for) and Gloria back in '85 which I remember. Even though the impact will probably be similar to a bad nor'easter still not anything fun to deal with. I'm sure the LIRR will shut down at least on the Babylon branch at some point.

Anyone know about the Cardinal? Can it run out of CHI to anywhere in VA (like CVS)? I'm sitting in Richmond thinking I can get to CVS, if it can go between CHI and CVS. I've been sitting on the phone on hold with Amtrak. Figured you guys could tell me faster. :rolleyes:

BTW, Richmond is not even on the tropical storm watch, at this time.

It is now being reported that LIRR wil shut down operations at 1pm on Saturday to start preparing for the storm. They will have to take down all crossing gates and move trains to safe locations. Sounds like they will move everything to Hillside and Ronkonkoma, and away from South Shore.

So far projections appear to be that Irene will be a borderline hurricane at best by the time it gets to New York, in which case it will really be more like a Noreaster.
Although similar in most ways, hurricanes pose a much greater storm surge threat than a Nor’easter. That is the main concern right now with the large-population centers near the coast. It takes a long time for that wave and surface water energy to dissipate, even if the hurricane sees a drastic reduction in wind speed. Also, the storm’s forward speed will accelerate as it moves north, which has to be added back to the overall energy of the storm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back