Mainline Steam Alert, SoCal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoozOn1st

Engineer
Honored Member
San Diego Steam Special II

"The Central Coast Railway Club and the Pacific Locomotive Association announce the San Diego Steam Special-II, powered by former Santa Fe 4-8-4 3751. Our train will depart LAUS mid-morning, Saturday, May 1 and arrive in San Diego mid-afternoon. On Sunday, May 2, the train will return to Los Angeles, leaving San Diego mid-morning, arriving at LAUS mid-afternoon. Tickets packages are available for the steam train in one direction and Surfliner in the other, or steam train round trip (hotel not included)."

Yet another incarnation of Team Whooz has been assembled for this excursion: Whooz, Alice, and AU member/pal sportbiker. We'll be doing the southbound leg (5-1-10), Coach, returning same day aboard a Surfliner TBD. Naturally we'd like to know about any other AU members who might go as well.

An excursion planned for 2009 was scrapped due to poor ticket sales (recession, y'know), but I was aboard the first one, in '08:

Today's Special: Steamed Amtrak (southbound trip report)

Amtrak Gets Steamed (excursion photos)

Bummer, I'll be up in Napa that weekend.

That would be cool to see and ride.

Can it be picked up at intermediate stops? Or is it LA to SD only?

Southbound boarding and northbound detraining at Fullerton are offered. That was the case in 2008 too, and also offered were to/from stops at San Diego Old Town. HOWEVER: IIRC - and in this case I think I do - none of those stops actually occurred, for whatever reason(s).

What DID occur, and was way cool, was a water replenishment stop and photo run-by at Carlsbad on the southbound leg. Northbound watering stop was north of Oceanside at shared Metrolink/Coaster yard/shops, with nobody allowed off the train. Northbound ride also included an emergency stop, apparently due to an air dump.

Run-By At Carlsbad

Southbound boarding and northbound detraining at Fullerton are offered. That was the case in 2008 too, and also offered were to/from stops at San Diego Old Town. HOWEVER: IIRC - and in this case I think I do - none of those stops actually occurred, for whatever reason(s).

What DID occur, and was way cool, was a water replenishment stop and photo run-by at Carlsbad on the southbound leg. Northbound watering stop was north of Oceanside at shared Metrolink/Coaster yard/shops, with nobody allowed off the train. Northbound ride also included an emergency stop, apparently due to an air dump.

Run-By At Carlsbad
I may be in the area one of those days. What time is it supposed to leave SD on the 2nd?

Edit - duh factor - you showed the link and I missed it. Still, might be able to ride, and certainly interested in seeing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Received excursion confirmation and info. I'd guess it's pretty standard stuff for a mainline event. Unlike 2008 an open-door baggage car is to be included in the consist, hence the protective eyewear section. I have goggles, and the Amglasses provided for our Amtrak Unlimited Second Annual Gathering tour of Amtrak's Los Angeles Maintenance Facility (shops).

THIS CONFIRMATION WILL NOT SERVE AS A TICKET. A boarding pass will be sent by

US Mail prior to departure.

CONTACT INFORMATION

This confirms your reservation for the 2010 San Diego Steam

Special on May 1,2 2010. Please immediately check this confirmation

against your records for accuracy and notify us of any discrepancies. For

questions about your reservation please contact Central Coast Railway Club,

Inc. by mail at P.O. Box 434, Santa Clara, CA 95052; or by email at

[email protected].

TICKETS

Number: 3 Ticket: Los Angeles to San Diego Coach Charge: $297.00

Total Charge: $297.00

SECURITY REQUIREMENT

In order to comply with Amtrak security requirements each passenger

must have an individual boarding pass which displays their name and that

passenger must have valid photo identification that matches the name on the

boarding pass.

FINANCIAL INFORMATION

The San Diego Steam Special is sponsored by the Central Coast Railway

Club and the Pacific Locomotive Association, 501[c][3] nonprofit historical

associations. We are responsible for the financial success of the trip. All trip

planning, reservations and ticketing, and on-train passenger support

operations are performed by unpaid volunteers. All money collected from

ticket purchases is put in a special bank account separate from the operating

accounts for the two organizations.

RELEASE OF LIABILITY

By purchasing this ticket you are agreeing to the following conditions:

Special excursion trains such as the San Diego Steam Special involve added

risks because of photo-run-bys near tracks with passing high-speed trains,

open doors on some railroad cars and the large number of passengers on the

train. In accepting a ticket for passage on the San Diego Steam Special, each

passenger recognizes and assumes all risks involved in participation as a

passenger on the train.

Each passenger excuses and agrees to hold harmless the Central Coast

Railway Club and the Pacific Locomotive Association, all 501[c][3] non-profit

historical associations, their members and officers [trip sponsors] as well as

the San Bernardino Railroad Historical Society (also a 501[c][3] non-profit

historical association), the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway, the National

Railroad Passenger Corporation (Amtrak), The San Diego Northern Railway,

North County Transit District, and the Southern California Regional Rail

Authority (Metrolink) and their employees and officers as well as the owners,

officers and attendants of the private railroad cars Pony Express, Silver

Lariat, Silver Solarium and any other private railroad cars in the San Diego

Steam Special consist from any and all liability of whatsoever character for

any and all personal injuries and all damages resulting there from and any

loss of or damages to property that may be sustained by the passenger while

on or about trains, tracks or other railroad premises pursuant to acceptance

of risks, no matter how said injuries or damage may arise and whether said

injuries result in death or otherwise, regardless of whether the trip sponsors,

railroads or private car operators conduct, whether negligent or grossly

negligent caused or contributed to the said injuries, death or damage.

Passengers also accept and assume any and all responsibility for any loss,

damage, injury or death regardless of cause while off the train at any time

during the excursion and agree to hold harmless the trip sponsors if such

circumstances occur.

The dome cars are heritage cars and do not have access to the dome area

for the physically challenged. The CCRC and PLA reserve the right to

substitute cars in case cars specified in this flyer unexpectedly become

unavailable.

Notwithstanding anything to the contrary set forth in this flyer, in the event

CCRC and PLA, or any train operator cancels the trip, CCRC and PLA shall

not be responsible to pay to passengers any sums in excess of the cost of

the train trip described in the flyer.

PROTECTIVE EYEWEAR

It is anticipated that some cars on this train will have open doors. If you wish

to lean out of an open door to take photographs or just to view the operating

steam engine you will be required to use protective eyewear such as safety

glasses or goggles. If you do not already have such protective eyewear, it will

be available for purchase aboard the train.

STURDY SHOES

It is anticipated that there will be at least one photo-run-by during this trip.

The photo-run-by location may be in an area that is undeveloped and may

present ground hazards such as rocks and other obstacles. If you wish to

detrain and participate in the photo-run-by you must wear sturdy shoes. This

requirement excludes flip flops, open toed and similar non supportive and

open shoe styles.

I may be in the area one of those days. What time is it supposed to leave SD on the 2nd?
So far nothing more specific than "mid-morning" departures both days. 2008 excursion did round trip in one day, Sunday June 1, arriving back at LAUS roughly 4.5 hours later than advertised. Fine for me, cuz I had a hotel room waiting at L.A. just a Red Line ride away, but learned of some folks who faced an all-night drive home to be at work the next day. Two-day itinerary should prevent that sorta thing.

Following Santa Fe 4-8-4 3751's Amtrak consist excursion to San Diego on 1-1-08, the locomotive did another San Diego turn in September of that year, heading a private varnish consist for the American Association of Private Railcar Owners (AAPRCO) 2008 Convention (fancy-schmancy version of an AU Gathering, I think). Tickets were available for that run, but I didn't go, nor did I see it. Alice (former Patrick & Alice RailRiot 2009 Executive Assistant), however, DID see and railfan the run.

The event occurred before I knew Alice, but since she clears her camera's memory about once a decade some photos and video of that run were recently transferred to my laptop to upload and eventually post here for general enjoyment.

It appears that tickets for this year's excursion - a 2-day event - remain available: San Diego Steam Special

Photos (5):

Santa Fe 3751 Private Varnish Train

Video:

For a more leisurely view of the AAPRCO 2008 Convention consist - sans steam - here's a video from the outfit's website (patience on the download): AAPRCO 2008 Convention Train Departs San Pedro, CA

Team Whooz has received its boarding passes for the southbound leg of the 2010 San Diego Steam Special on Saturday, May 1; northbound run is Sunday, May 2. A 4-17-10 e-mail from the excursion organizations said that tickets remained available.

Timetable:

Los Angeles departure 9:50 a.m.

Fullerton departure 10:25 a.m.

San Diego arrival 3 p.m.

Though this may seem a slow schedule, during the 2008 excursion water replenishment and a photo run-by at Carlsbad Poinsettia (non-Amtrak Coaster commuter train station) took up roughly 2 hours. IIRC, the location of this year's photo run-by won't be revealed 'til excursion day, but for those who can't make the train, the Special is a fine opportunity to head trackside and get a good look at rare west coast mainline steam in glorious action.

EDIT: The run-by will take place at a station, not out on the line somewhere, which I learned from the response to my question about wheelchair accessibility. And the active main line, with long stretches of single track, makes that virtually mandatory anyway.

A Los Angeles Times feature on this weekend's San Diego Steam Special...

'Cadillac of steam' to ride the rails again

"The Santa Fe railroad ordered the 3751 in 1927; with an unusual wheel configuration known as a '4-8-4,' it was the first of its kind. It operated until 1955, primarily between California and the Midwest, but also in New Mexico and Colorado."

The photo shows 3751 at its Redondo Junction home, which is on the grounds of Amtrak's Los Angeles Maintenance Facility. AU members who attended our 2nd Annual Gathering, at Los Angeles, will recall seeing 3751 sleeping peacefully adjacent to the turntable during the Sunday shop tour.

Team Whooz will be riding behind 3751 on its southbound run, returning to Los Angeles aboard a Pacific Surfliner, then railfanning the northbound run on Sunday. Today will see some time devoted to scoping out likely vantage points for northbound trackside photography.

You don't suppose there might be a trip report in the offing, do you? Nahhh....

Back